Request-Archived cache notifications

sawdust

I would actually go a step beyond that and say add the option to pocket queries. It would be great to run a query of archived caches for the past week like I can for new caches.

This would be a _huge_ step in cutting the amount of queries I run. I would only then have to run a query to see new ones for the past week and then run a query to see archived ones for the past week. As it stands now I run the new ones then run a query for all then assume that ones that don't show up are archived. Of course this is more than one query because of the 500 count limit.

If anybody else is doing these, kind of the same way I think TPTB would see a major decrease in the amount of queries that would be run. And those queries would not have to include any of the last 3 or 5 (I can't remember the number) find listings. Well maybe just the last one so you could see why it was archived if you wanted. The number of queries I run would drop from 35 a week to I guess 7 maybe 8.

pocket queries of archived caches would rule. Rusty tries to manually maintain a list of archived caches in Michigan so that bored folk can go out and confirm the containers have been removed. This kind of search would be very convinient.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I got 'markwelled' for asking for this some time ago. The reason he gave was something about geocaching.com being able to stop people accessing information about caches where the had been asked to remove them in state parks. I suppose Grizzly Bears had been eating cachers and the rangers were getting upset at people feeding the wildlife.

Seriously, I support the idea of being able to access recently archived caches to update my pocket queries and my GPS.

Getting markwelled has nothing to do with getting a response from me icon_wink.gif I've maintained that this would be a great feature added to the weekly notification - along with the date of archival.

But I'll go one step further. If someone archives a cache and then later reactivates it, the weekly notification should also include the recently UNARCHIVED caches as well.

However, updating your pocket queries on a regular basis by deleting the old ones and downloading the newest version usually takes care of that.

Maybe if Clayjar could add yet another feature to Watcher: doing a mis-matched search. Compare pocket queries A and B and have the results be "caches in A but not in B" or "caches in B but not in A."

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I'm sure I read on one of the FAQ pages somewhere that archived caches are put into a list that can be accessed. I also noticed that when you archive a cache, there is a selection to put it into this list.

I'd like to be able to access archived caches for a couple of reasons. For a challenge, I'd like to go see if I could find a cache that may had been archived without without a visit from the hider. Also, one user archived a bunch of caches but left them in place physically. When I emailed him about my dissapointment in archiving all of these caches, he emailed back that they are still physically in place, and that they have been archived in such a way that would still accept find logs.

Since a lot of these caches were closer than most of the ones I go after now, I'd like to be able to hunt them down. Anyway, if there is a list, how can I access this list?

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Anyway, if there is a list, how can I access this list?

If it does exist I would love to know where I could find this as well. In my mind I think the only information it would have to contain is the waypoint. So it would not be a lot of data. Then that list could be compared to a list of caches I think are current and I could drop those that are on the archived list. But I am not sure I agree with Markwell and would only make it part of the weekly notification (if that is in fact what he meant). I think just having a list that could be downloaded or having it as an option for a PQ should be part of it as well. Maybe unarchived caches could be considered new caches for the purpose of the weekly notifications. I don't know if that would become confusing or not.

Again if PQs are such a strain on system resources I think adding this would really make a lot of the queries run not necessary.