Uk Geocache Tourism Resource

stenpils

Hi All,

Jumping in two footed. :-)

The follwing was inspired by a few threads on here, and on my local forum (nwcaching.co.uk) along the lines of "what's the caching like in...", and also inspired by the fact that I'm off on a weekend break soon and want to know a bit about the area I'm heading to but didn't have a concise succinct collection of opinion to refer to...

So anyroad I'm looking for evangelists for their local caching areas (or areas they know well) who might like to submit a mini-caching-tourists-guide-to-the-locale to eventually provide a resource for "out of area" cacher to start their research on what not to miss.

For me researching where to go is good fun, so I'm not suggesting this to be spoon-feeding or removing that fun, but just to be a starter for 10. Who would want to miss the Isle-of-Wight equivalent of "Whitespace", or "The Sparrow Boys" (v popular caches/cache setters in my neck of the woods) because of not enough time to research. So just looking for 1-pager contributions to start with, see if theres any interest, or value in it.

The site's based aruond a blog, so it's interactive even after an article has been published on an area, e.g. the Northwich article I've done for illustration can then be added to via comments "Thanks, I followed the route it was great" or "You're talking Hogwash, don't miss out on CacheX!" or "Oooh, change this article to remove that cache mention - it's been archived".. etc etc.

Pls check out http://www.geocachetourist.com, it's in its infancy (being 2 days old), but hopefully will start filling up with contributions very shortly!

Many thanks in advance for any feedback, contributions, or any submission of your thoughts; and just let me know thru GC.com or PM or responding to this thread if you fancy having a bash at evangilising your local area for the benfit of us caching tourists!

I like the idea of having the best of the areas listed so that if you only want to see areas of beauty rather than areas around a land fill that are not listed on a map.

Lets face it, Rakes Lane in Bolton is a nice area or would be but for the local tip spewing out gaseous waste from its butt @:L@ ugly carbunkle of a chimney.

I like the idea of having the best of the areas listed so that if you only want to see areas of beauty rather than areas around a land fill that are not listed on a map.

Lets face it, Rakes Lane in Bolton is a nice area or would be but for the local tip spewing out gaseous waste from its butt @:L@ ugly carbunkle of a chimney.

lol, exactly.

Fancy having a crack at telling me about bolton, then? As if I was just asking you in a pub or at a meet - "so where MUST i cache in Bolton"?

My hosting servers are in Bolton, actually, and I was there a couple of days ago hopeing for enough time to look at some of Foinavons River Croal stuff. Alas no! But as I'm there sporadically, if only I had an in-the-know local able to tell me where I should focus that time! :-)

lol, exactly.

Fancy having a crack at telling me about bolton, then? As if I was just asking you in a pub or at a meet - "so where MUST i cache in Bolton"?

My hosting servers are in Bolton, actually, and I was there a couple of days ago hopeing for enough time to look at some of Foinavons River Croal stuff. Alas no! But as I'm there sporadically, if only I had an in-the-know local able to tell me where I should focus that time! :-)

As I have only been doing this a week or so, in a short answer NO, However, I could tell you where there are beauty spots where there are likely to be caches - I know there are cos I am having difficulty finding spaces to hide my own. :)

I have a problem with getting out at the moment, having had cancer, side effects mean I need to be near amenities.

I hope to get out more in the warmer weather to get the exercise.

Looked at the site and it looks clean and tidy.

I like the idea, but it would be a starting point for me to research not the only point.

I quiet enjoy searching for caches, but agree if there wasnt time to plan then it would be handy, maybe a simple bookmark people could download.

Exactly, just the quick glance to highlight a few caches / cachers / or suggested routes and areas.

Now have a few articles to submit over the next few days - including our first voluntary submission from A Local, which is now live: Kendal, Cumbria.

Interested in thoughts on the format and whether the info presented gives you that "quick glance highlights".

I think the blog is a great idea and hope that it takes off. We often cache here there and everywhere and although I am a big one for planning, it's hard to know where the real gems are without spending a lot of time researching. I've submitted quite a lot of articles covering the boroughs and districts of Essex to the site. Didn't think I knew that much about Essex, however once I started thinking about it all the great caches started popping into my head. It did take me a fair while to write the article, but to me it's worth it if others contribute to it and it helps me find the great caches in the areas I'm visiting.

Just a quick bump to remind everyone of the potentially great resource at Geocache Tourist. Written by cachers for cachers. At the moment there's good coverage of The Northwest and Southeast. I've written one article and that's my sole connection with the site.

Come on people in Yorkshire, Wales, Scotland, Southwest, Midlands, Northeast. Get a short article written about where you live, giving people from outside the area ideas what are the BEST caches in your area. :ph34r:

Here's a thought... cos I love the idea.

Maybe the lists could be generated and discussed at events over an ale or two. By definition at least one person there knows the area well, but if it comes from a discussion in an event, it wouldn't just be one person's opinion listed.

Good excuse to put more beer ups events together too!

Just a quick bump to remind everyone of the potentially great resource at Geocache Tourist. Written by cachers for cachers. At the moment there's good coverage of The Northwest and Southeast. I've written one article and that's my sole connection with the site.

Come on people in Yorkshire, Wales, Scotland, Southwest, Midlands, Northeast. Get a short article written about where you live, giving people from outside the area ideas what are the BEST caches in your area. :ph34r:

Cache hider and cacher bobadams from Leeds might be able to help u if u email him on here :) He has some beautiful areas that hes placed caches in (and also im sure he would tell u about some of the interesting ones hes done around the area also)

Just an idea :)

Cache hider and cacher bobadams from Leeds might be able to help u if u email him on here :) He has some beautiful areas that hes placed caches in (and also im sure he would tell u about some of the interesting ones hes done around the area also)

Cool, will do, thanks. I've avoided direct approaches before now but if you think it would be OK... :-)

Maybe the lists could be generated and discussed at events over an ale or two. By definition at least one person there knows the area well, but if it comes from a discussion in an event, it wouldn't just be one person's opinion listed.

Great idea, but one of the things that needs discussing is how areas are best segmented... in low saturation areas (do any of those still exist?) then the article can cover a wide area (e.g. the whole of County Donegal is covered by a single article) but hotbed towns or Cities could them selves conceivably be split across various articles.

So in your area, county, town, city - how would you see it being split up into several smaller articles if at all?

Ive never noticed bob adams on any of the uk caches and i thought some of the topics would have been right up his street. The village bob lives in is very small but i know hes done some great canal/river walks and some lovely countryside caches....Im sure he wont mind.....Tell him it was my fault if he gets mad...i thought he would be the best person to help u for the leeds area :)

Cool, will do, thanks. I've avoided direct approaches before now but if you think it would be OK... :-)

Great idea, but one of the things that needs discussing is how areas are best segmented... in low saturation areas (do any of those still exist?) then the article can cover a wide area (e.g. the whole of County Donegal is covered by a single article) but hotbed towns or Cities could them selves conceivably be split across various articles.

So in your area, county, town, city - how would you see it being split up into several smaller articles if at all?

Would be fairly easy in the High Peak... There's a few natural divides between towns, but yeah, spitting Manchester could be harder, maybe going off borough boundaries?

Low saturation areas would be great as maybe the same groups could discuss how to fill the gap... What type if cache would be most wanted. Personally I love multis but there's not many of them about :( guess they don't get as much traffic, so some of my favourites are rarely found... Maybe there's a way if fixing this with traditionals around them.

Low saturation areas would be great as maybe the same groups could discuss how to fill the gap... What type if cache would be most wanted. Personally I love multis but there's not many of them about :( guess they don't get as much traffic, so some of my favourites are rarely found... Maybe there's a way if fixing this with traditionals around them.

If you come to S Wales, you could try some of our multis, but don't expect an easy ride. A lot of cachers are put off by the expenditure of energy required. The hardest ones only get one or two visits a year.

Back to the tourism aspect of the topic, the Valleys area is working very hard to regenerate itself, after the mining and heavy industry days, and tourism is an element of the future. At least one local council has incorporated geocaching into its tourism strategy and one of the talks at Mega Wales will now be on this subject. See the latest news for more on this.

If you come to S Wales, you could try some of our multis, but don't expect an easy ride. A lot of cachers are put off by the expenditure of energy required. The hardest ones only get one or two visits a year.

Back to the tourism aspect of the topic, the Valleys area is working very hard to regenerate itself, after the mining and heavy industry days, and tourism is an element of the future. At least one local council has incorporated geocaching into its tourism strategy and one of the talks at Mega Wales will now be on this subject. See the latest news for more on this.

Scheduled to be there during the 2012 mega... Got my schedule

Out of sync with megas somehow.

If I wanted an easy ride, I'd go Waymarking. Challenging multis are my favourite, even those that take more than one day. As I'm not interested in numbers... Hence the different paudonyms over the years, I can happily spend a whole day on a multi. Can't wait to get to S Wales!

Tourism has always been huge for north and south coasts (and the west coast I guess) so I think that the valleys may have some knowledgable people to consult. No one place is yet to geocaching what Dartmoor is to letterboxing... maybe a local authority and tourist board can claim that status.

Edited by NattyBooshka