Garmin Oregon USB connection issue

Rather hoping someone may be able to assist. My Oregon 550t has been working perfectly for some time but, without any changes to software etc it now fails to connect to my PC leaving me unable to upload any caches.

What Happens?

On connecting to my laptop by USB the oregon screen goes to the one with the computer connected to a GPS picture as normal but instead on halting there allowing you to see the oregon in 'my computer' it then moves to normal start up and shows the external power source icon where the battery icon usually is.

What I have tried:

hard reset

switching to spanner mode and back

the advice on the Garmin support page (hold power on button then connect USB cable, release)

reloaded Garmin drivers to laptop

tried different PCs

found similar issues raised by a few users on the forums but no solutions

I don't know what else to try, anyone got any ideas 9other than emailing Garmin support which is my next step if this post doesn't help.

Many thanks for reading.

Yes checked different cables and different computers so I am fairly happy it is an issue on the Oregon itself.

Sounds like it. There's a few things listed on http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous that you can try, which you may or may not have already tried, espcially the "forced USB mass storage mode". I don't think there's anything else you can do that's not listed on that page.

Sounds like it. There's a few things listed on http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous that you can try, which you may or may not have already tried, espcially the "forced USB mass storage mode". I don't think there's anything else you can do that's not listed on that page.

Interestingly the "forced USB mass storage mode" wont work on the unit. I have now tried with and without the SD card, with and without batteries, all to the same result.

I think it is going to be a 'Help me please Garmin' message, I have to say they have previously been excellent at resolving issues.

Edited by Captain Gore-tex

Interestingly the "forced USB mass storage mode" wont work on the unit. I have now tried with and without the SD card, with and without batteries, all to the same result.

I think it is going to be a 'Help me please Garmin' message, I have to say they have previously been excellent at resolving issues.

Did your GPSr have issues before this started where if you moved it or bumped the cable it would disconnect? Does the cable connector seem to be loose? I ask these because my Oregon 400t had started acting like that before it got to the point where it would more often not connect that it would connect. Since my unit was out of warranty I decided to pop it open to see what I could see. In my case, the ribbon cable that connected the USB port to the system board in the GPSr had come loose on the port connector end. It uses a fragile "ZIF" cable connector and the "lock" had apparently worked its way open over the years of use, and the cable was not always making contact. After reseating the cable, it has worked fine. I wouldn't recommend anyone else try this on their own, but instead that they call Garmin, as they are pretty good with out of warranty repairs. I don't know why I didn't call them myself, but I got lucky.

If you've already tried all that, your options are down to : connecting it to the computer and leaving it for 1/2 hour to see if it eventually connects, and a master reset.

It does connect, unfortunately it goes from mass storage to normal mode, that is the issue, hence unable to upload caches to the unit. I dont see leaving it for 1/2 an hour will do anything differently, email to garmin sent, I will update the thread once this is sorted.

If you've already tried all that, your options are down to : connecting it to the computer and leaving it for 1/2 hour to see if it eventually connects, and a master reset.

It does connect, unfortunately it goes from mass storage to normal mode, that is the issue, hence unable to upload caches to the unit. I dont see leaving it for 1/2 an hour will do anything differently, email to garmin sent, I will update the thread once this is sorted.

Yeah, if it goes from mass storage to normal mode, leaving it connected wouldn't help. I didn't read carefully, I thought it just refused to connect. My Oregon sometimes connect immediately, and sometimes take a few minutes to connect. Very strange.

Funny thing was the cable I had always used was permanently plugged in to my PC, never transported around or even moved from computer to computer.

Started off only connecting on every second attempt and went downhill from there.

So what is there in a USB cable that can go "bad" ?

I've tried all the things mentioned in other replies, including taking it apart to check the connections, and clean contacts.My GPS connects to the computer, but then a window pops up saying the device attached to the USB port has malfunctioned, then a few minutes later the main menu comes up on the GPS screen.

I have gone through the problem of having to connect mulitable times for it to finally connect.

There are other issues. 1- Being when I do a reset for the trip computer, everything goes to Zero as it should. But when I check it, say 500m later it may read that I have gone 4.38km, as an example. I do another reset and it is usually fine.

2- Often the compass points in the opposite direction it should, even if I do a recalabration for the compass.

Other than that most of the problems I have are because of the operator.

May to give up Caching. Do not want to spend another $600.oo plus for a neww GPS