It's a stretch.

jaaake

My wife came up with the idea of putting one of the large Official Geocache stickers on the back of an old Jeep we only use when the weather's bad. It has horrible hail damage and a few distinct stickers on the back.

*If I could do anything* I'd post it as a mystery cache and challenge people to find it.

It's always with-in a mile of it's home, sometimes I drive it to work--1/2 mile away.

I figure it won't work as it's not always in the same spot, but eh at least I can tell her I tried.

She's all about being creative/original, but after 10 years if it can be done it has been done.

Can it be done? -Jaaake

Moving caches were allowed for a while, years ago. There are even a few still around (the existing ones were grandfathered in) but the concept caused too many problems with caches being rehidden in inappropriate spots that the idea was officially dropped. No new travelling caches can be hidden. Keep thinking outside the cliche', though!

Moving caches were allowed for a while, years ago. There are even a few still around (the existing ones were grandfathered in) but the concept caused too many problems with caches being rehidden in inappropriate spots that the idea was officially dropped. No new travelling caches can be hidden. Keep thinking outside the cliche', though!

I think the travel bug idea will make her happy. Thanks!

My end-game goal is to own 20-30 caches with-in 50 miles of my home, ranging from simple & easy to ridiculously hard.

I'm also working on creating the largest cache container in Nebraska.. We'll see if that works out.

-Jaaake

You could hide a physical cache in a fixed position as an Unknown Cache, and attach CLUES to its whereabouts to travel bugs. This has been done in several parts of the country. Vehicle TBs are also common.

If you can craft it carefully, and if you can represent yourself well electronically to your reviewer, you might be able to combine the two and capture most of what you were shooting for at the start.

My end-game goal is to own 20-30 caches with-in 50 miles of my home, ranging from simple & easy to ridiculously hard.

I'm also working on creating the largest cache container in Nebraska.. We'll see if that works out.

-Jaaake

If you do, I'll come find it. :)

I seem to remember a mystery cache that a few people solved at Geowoodstock last year that had an aspect of it where you had to get information off of someones liscence plate...

Found it. The CO's Vanity liscence plate is the GC number and the coordinates of the cache are on the liscence plate frame.

I seem to remember a mystery cache that a few people solved at Geowoodstock last year that had an aspect of it where you had to get information off of someones liscence plate...

Found it. The CO's Vanity liscence plate is the GC number and the coordinates of the cache are on the liscence plate frame.

Wow. That's a good one for my ignore list.

I sure hope that cacher owner drives around a lot, and doesn't leave the car parked at home way out of the city for long periods of time.

I figure it won't work as it's not always in the same spot, but eh at least I can tell her I tried.

She's all about being creative/original, but after 10 years if it can be done it has been done.

Can it be done?

Even if it cannot be done, I hope you continue to "think outside the box." I enjoy creative hides, and I suspect you'll be able to come up with something completely original. Even if it's simply something new to your area, I'm sure finders will appreciate it.

I sure hope that cacher owner drives around a lot, and doesn't leave the car parked at home way out of the city for long periods of time.

Unless the published coordinate for a cache like this are close to your home location, what is the point of putting it on your ignore list?

I'm not sure I understand the part about leaving it parked outside the city for long periods of time either. Even if the final is located in the city, traveling out outside the city to find a clue necessary to obtain the coordinates for the final doesn't seem like much to ask.

It sounds like the OPs vehicle might be easily recognizable and if there are only a few possible places where it might be parked it would be a pretty unique unknown puzzle cache. It would also be fun to drive the vehicle around town all day on the day it was published just to annoy the local FTF hounds.

-Jaaake

Better be big....I know of 2 large ones near Scottsbluff.

I'm not sure I understand the part about leaving it parked outside the city for long periods of time either. Even if the final is located in the city, traveling out outside the city to find a clue necessary to obtain the coordinates for the final doesn't seem like much to ask.

I believe the posted coords for this cache are the CO's driveway. I could be wrong...

So could I post two cords and move the cache randomly from one spot to the other?

I think you see where I'm going with this..

-Jaaake

Not quite... the cache has to stay in one place. But you could make it a "Mystery" cache, and put the coordinates for the final on your jeep. To solve the puzzle and log the cache, the finder would have to find your jeep, get the coordinates, and then go to the final to sign the log.

My wife came up with the idea of putting one of the large Official Geocache stickers on the back of an old Jeep we only use when the weather's bad. It has horrible hail damage and a few distinct stickers on the back.

*If I could do anything* I'd post it as a mystery cache and challenge people to find it.

It's always with-in a mile of it's home, sometimes I drive it to work--1/2 mile away.

Can it be done? -Jaaake

Nah, just wait until the transmission blows, tow the Jeep into some woods that your grandpa owns, and use the whole car as the cache container! :lol:

So could I post two cords and move the cache randomly from one spot to the other?

I think you see where I'm going with this..

-Jaaake

Not quite... the cache has to stay in one place. But you could make it a "Mystery" cache, and put the coordinates for the final on your jeep. To solve the puzzle and log the cache, the finder would have to find your jeep, get the coordinates, and then go to the final to sign the log.

To put this idea into perspective, I came across a cache listing awhile back that was a mystery cache. From my reading of the cache page it sounded like the CO placed a hide-a-key on a guard rail and indicated that it was located within a couple of square miles of the published coordinates. From reading the logs it appeared that those that found it drove around to find guard rails in the area and then searched until they found the cache.

I also like it that your trying to do something new and interesting. I got good advice last week on my idea for a mystery cache and changed my mind. The idea was to post proper cords of the exact geocache location without any deception. But after solving the puzzle one would find out that the key is not where the cache is, but when it is there. I intended to have it there on specific days that could be calculated in series.

However:

I got good advice that now has me 95% sure that I won't try to place a cache like that. Maybe I'll come up with something else that I think is fun. I still like my ideas and your ideas big picture, but the details, at least for mine, did not translate well enough to real life geocaching.

I got good advice that now has me 95% sure that I won't try to place a cache like that.

Was the advice from a reviewer? Either way I'd be interested if you're willing to share it here.

Sure. This was the thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=268178&st=0&p=4607436&fromsearch=1entry4607436

Basically, the feedback was a combinations of logistics (exactly how do I communicate when the cache should be there), mixed opinions on whether or not is should be allowable, and ultimately not many people responded as though they would like to wait to find it on its "special" days.

I'll try to keep thinking about alterations to better suit the feedback.