is it ok to? tb question.

thethompsontribe

I'd like to tack on to this topic if I may... Say I placed a TB that is currently in a race, in a cache that I thought was frequently visited; after a couple of weeks, I see that no one has visited the cache and the poor racer is stuck in neutral. Is is copacetic for me to go visit the cache and retrieve it and place it in a more frequented cache? If so, do I log the find on the cache a second time or only log a grab for the TB?

I'd like to tack on to this topic if I may... Say I placed a TB that is currently in a race, in a cache that I thought was frequently visited; after a couple of weeks, I see that no one has visited the cache and the poor racer is stuck in neutral. Is is copacetic for me to go visit the cache and retrieve it and place it in a more frequented cache? If so, do I log the find on the cache a second time or only log a grab for the TB?

"Copacetic" - What a wonderful word! I had to look that one up :D

Yes, it's copacetic for you to return to that cache and collect the TB to move it somewhere else (unless there's some race ruling that says you may only move the TB once?)

When you re-visit the cache you should select a "Write Note" log to record the visit and retrieve the TB in the usual way by selecting "Retrieved from (nameofcache)" from the drop-down box on the TB page.

MrsB

Hi all

Having recently become a huge fan of geocaching and 23 finds i recently purchased my own tb. is it ok to let someone else place the bug in a cache for you or is that frowned upon??? you see a family member is going on holiday and wants to place it in a cache near to where they are staying.

It's fine to let somebody else place your TB for you - It's yours so you can do whatever you want to start its journey - but, as kunarion says, it works more 'neatly' if the other person has a geocaching account so that the trackable can be transferred into their hands. Then they can then do the 'drop-off' log when they find the cache and place it. If they are not a geocacher, are you confident they will be able to find the cache?

Having said that, as long as everyone's happy with the arrangement then just go ahead - and don't forget to activate the TB to your account before you pass it over to them. :)

MrsB

Take the bug caching locally first. That way the starting mileage is from your location and it adds the trip mileage to the bug.

How do you mean? Is this called dipping?

Yep.

Yeah, but being a purist I drop and retrieve. No matter what you call it you still actually took your bug to a cache so that it starts closer to home. If the bug is going to travel some distance before being placed in a cache it should get credit for the journey.

So let me get this straight: I can take a bug with me to visit say 6 caches around my home and log the bug in and then out of each cache and then just leave it in one and see where it goes? And if I'm correct in my thinking this is OK, then why would you want to? Just for milage?

For mileage, to show more accurately the route the bug took

or e.g. perhaps the caches were micro caches, too small for you to drop off the bug but you can show the owner that it went to those locations

or e.g. the bug wants to go SW, but you have a very famous landmark near you with a cache by it. The owner would probably be interested to know their bug went there so you could take it to that cache first, do a "dip" and mention the special significance of the location, and then take the bug off SW and leave it somewhere in the direction it needs to be

or e.g. the mission says it wants to visit zoos. The cache by your local zoo is a micro but you could take it there, do a "dip", maybe take a photo of it by the zoo entrance and add it to the dip log, then place it into another cache some distance away.

You get the idea? :)

MrsB

So let me get this straight: I can take a bug with me to visit say 6 caches around my home and log the bug in and then out of each cache and then just leave it in one and see where it goes? And if I'm correct in my thinking this is OK, then why would you want to? Just for milage?

Just to clarify: I believe BlueDeuce is responding to thethompsontribe's question about starting a new TB, and that "yes" its for the mileage and to document that the TB started in the hands of thethompsontribe somewhere near their home location rather than in the hands of a relative while they were on vacation someplace.

However (just to keep clear), as Mrs.B mentioned to your original question, sometimes TB races have rules against the TB dipping (or multiple logs by one player...whichever) that BD mentions, so you'll want to check before you go back and grab that bug.

The reason this functionality exists is; I may retrieve a TB from a cache with every intention of dropping it off at the next cache I find...which happens to be the first of many consecutive micros which are too small to hold the TB. Since the TB was with me, I can drop-retrieve (dip/visit) it at each of the micros to document it's travels for the owner. TB races sometimes discourage this as it is easy to "cheat the system" and generate bogus miles.

Hope this helps!

For mileage, to show more accurately the route the bug took

or e.g. perhaps the caches were micro caches, too small for you to drop off the bug but you can show the owner that it went to those locations

or e.g. the bug wants to go SW, but you have a very famous landmark near you with a cache by it. The owner would probably be interested to know their bug went there so you could take it to that cache first, do a "dip" and mention the special significance of the location, and then take the bug off SW and leave it somewhere in the direction it needs to be

or e.g. the mission says it wants to visit zoos. The cache by your local zoo is a micro but you could take it there, do a "dip", maybe take a photo of it by the zoo entrance and add it to the dip log, then place it into another cache some distance away.

You get the idea? :)

MrsB

I do get the idea now! Thank you for the information and your help!