Etrex H - Questions

Seganku

I've been using an Etrex H for the last couple of years and I have been putting the coordinates in by hand. I've been considering buying a lead so that I can download the coordinates. My questions are:

Am I right in guessing it will just be the coordinates that get downloaded onto this particular unit or do clues and other info also get downloaded?

Do you have to manually input names/numbers for the downloaded coordinates or are they named/numbered from the download?

I'm running Windows 7 (which by the way was MY idea) - Would a serial converter lead need to have software to support it?

Finally, is it easy enough to transfer data or should I just stick with the old thumbs?

Thanks for any advice for which I think is probably a reoccurring question :rolleyes:

I can't say for certain about Etrex H but I have been using an old type Etrex for 6 years.

The name is transferred with the coords and only that - no hints, logs etc. As for what the name is, it depends on how you download the coords. I use GSAK and have chosen to use smart names with A,B,C,etc added to the end for Child waypoints. But you could us the GC code (with the GCstripped off) if you prefer.

If you can enter 500 waypoints in about 30 seconds - stick to thumbs otherwise definitely go for cable.

I don't know about windows 7 - It might handle a serial converter with its own drivers but if it doesn't you will have to install from the disk which should come with the converter lead

I have an eTrex Legend and found a Garmin to USB cable on ebay. Win7 has problems with the PL2303 driver needed but I eventually found one that worked. The adaptor method doesn't work with Win7 but as I say, there is a driver out there for the Garmin to USB. You can find it here http://www.usglobalsat.com/download/546/win_drivers.zip

It only downloads co ords and the GC name though and labels it as a cache.

We have 2 ETrex H and use a serial lead with a serial->usb adapter and have used the same thing on XP Vista and Win 7 The USB adapter came from Maplin (dearer than most but I use it for 3 different units)... with Premium membership we download PQs to GSAK(free /cheap software) and then upload to the H the caches for the area we are heading for.. Doing it this way you can choose what 'name' you see on the H we use the smartname from GSAK which is a unique title that GSAK sets up but you can also send GC nos etc but with the new longer GC numbers you have to get GSAK to strip off the GC from the start

Edited by fuzzybears

I have no personal experience, but see:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t5370522-driver_windows_7

http://www.expertgps.com/usb-to-serial-adapter.asp

From http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-RS232-Converter-Cable/dp/B00077DJIQ

"The converter supplied probably does not use the Prolific chip set. I bought a converter that did work (using the Prolific driver in the box) from Maplin. If the installation is successfully completed, you will find a COM port in Device Manager. If not, you are out of luck. I recommend that you check that any converter you buy works with your operating system before buying"

I've been using an Etrex H for the last couple of years and I have been putting the coordinates in by hand. I've been considering buying a lead so that I can download the coordinates. My questions are:

Am I right in guessing it will just be the coordinates that get downloaded onto this particular unit or do clues and other info also get downloaded?

Nope, just the coordinates.

Do you have to manually input names/numbers for the downloaded coordinates or are they named/numbered from the download?

Depends on the tool you use to download them - the Garmin plugin for GC.com gives each waypoint a number based on the cache id, GSAK (by default) gives each waypoint a name derived from the cache name.

I'm running Windows 7 (which by the way was MY idea) - Would a serial converter lead need to have software to support it?

I use a standard serial cable (no usb convertor - they were too much hassle) on Windows 7 and it works just fine.

Finally, is it easy enough to transfer data or should I just stick with the old thumbs?

Thanks for any advice for which I think is probably a reoccurring question :rolleyes:

It is easy enuough once set up - certianly a lot quicker than putting them in by hand!

USB-SERIAL CONVERTER DATA CABLE - GARMIN eTrex,GEKO GPS on Ebay £14.50

I bought one of these, but it just would not work with Win7. Just have a quick look on Google and there are hundreds of threads discussing how to get them to work.

Aahh dont be saying that, just thought i had found an easy out for myself. My poor head hurts now.

USB-SERIAL CONVERTER DATA CABLE - GARMIN eTrex,GEKO GPS on Ebay £14.50

I bought one of these, but it just would not work with Win7. Just have a quick look on Google and there are hundreds of threads discussing how to get them to work.

Aahh dont be saying that, just thought i had found an easy out for myself. My poor head hurts now.

The easy way out is an all in one cable and the driver I provided a link to above. I found my cable on ebay from a company called kaWaMall. Might be worth dropping them a line to see if they have any in stock.

I have an eTrex Legend and found a Garmin to USB cable on ebay. Win7 has problems with the PL2303 driver needed but I eventually found one that worked. The adaptor method doesn't work with Win7 but as I say, there is a driver out there for the Garmin to USB. You can find it here http://www.usglobalsat.com/download/546/win_drivers.zip

It only downloads co ords and the GC name though and labels it as a cache.

Never had much success getting pc and etrex to talk to each other before but I`ve just tried using this driver and it worked straight away :D Thanks for the link :lol: