Custom Geocache Icons on the 62s?

Zop

Addendum: (I missed the detailed step request)...

1) Choose 'Find a cache'

2) Pick the cache to find, choose 'Go'.

3) When you found it (didn't find it), go back to your 'Find a cache' option and choose 'Log Attempt'

4) Here you can choose 'Found it' (Or didn't find it and other options).

5) If you want you can add a comment (they will preload if you use Field Notes).

6) Choose 'Done' and your are back to #1 where you can find another cache.

If you look at your map, this cache will now have an open treasure box.

Addendum: (I missed the detailed step request)...

1) Choose 'Find a cache'

2) Pick the cache to find, choose 'Go'.

3) When you found it (didn't find it), go back to your 'Find a cache' option and choose 'Log Attempt'

4) Here you can choose 'Found it' (Or didn't find it and other options).

5) If you want you can add a comment (they will preload if you use Field Notes).

6) Choose 'Done' and your are back to #1 where you can find another cache.

If you look at your map, this cache will now have an open treasure box.

Thanks and after some 8000 caches, completely understood but that's exactly what I want to change. On my 60CSx, I was able to change that open treasure chest to a smiley by default. That's what I want to change on my 62s.

Similar question for a different unit.

I went through the list of icons i had available on my eTrex Legend H. To see if there might be a better icon to go with on the caching side and to mark my DNFs. For now i use the Danger (skull and cross bones) icon for DNFs. Well i noticed there is a section of Custom icons but i can't find a way to define them. Is there a way i can design my own custom icons and upload them to my unit? I was looking through them from the Geocaching setup page. So maybe i'm on the wrong screen for it.

I went through the list of icons i had available on my eTrex Legend H. To see if there might be a better icon to go with on the caching side and to mark my DNFs. For now i use the Danger (skull and cross bones) icon for DNFs. Well i noticed there is a section of Custom icons but i can't find a way to define them. Is there a way i can design my own custom icons and upload them to my unit? I was looking through them from the Geocaching setup page. So maybe i'm on the wrong screen for it.

There are tons of ways to create them..

http://www.gpsfix.net/custom-symbols/

The question is how do you get the GPS to recognize them? Replace the default with custom?

Is it the naming of the image?

On the 60c`s and Legend C`s you use xImage, the H is not listed though.

Yea, I saw this but nowhere does it mention how to change the default symbol/icon for a found geocache.

Well apparently the text files have been edited.

81abb8f8-26d1-42d4-a2dd-5a6ee243adae.jpg

Right click, save as.., and put it in your custom symbols directory.

Already did.. and made sure it was 24bit but when I mark a cache as found, I get the open treasure box.

Yea, I saw this but nowhere does it mention how to change the default symbol/icon for a found geocache.

Already did.. and made sure it was 24bit but when I mark a cache as found, I get the open treasure box.

I didn't realize GS was going to rename the file. Save it as Geocache Found.bmp. Exactly the way I typed it. If that doesn't work, your SOL. Sorry.

I didn't realize GS was going to rename the file. Save it as Geocache Found.bmp. Exactly the way I typed it. If that doesn't work, your SOL. Sorry.

Exactly as I did too.. No go.

Actually I see that mine saved in all lower case. Trying again.

Actually I see that mine saved in all lower case. Trying again.

Hey!! Who would have thought the name was case sensitive?!?!? It works! Thank you!

Time to kick start a very old thread -

Well, The Smiley has now followed me from 60, 400t 550t to 62s and now the 64s and it's always a nice icon to see on my screen while we're caching up and down the trails but now I have to ask; Has anyone tried to get their GPSr to change an icon when marked as a DNF? I would love to be able to see which ones we want to pass on because we just DNF'ed them earlier in the day.

Z..

[...] Has anyone tried to get their GPSr to change an icon when marked as a DNF?[...]

You cannot change a nonexisting icon. Garmin's units lack an icon DNF cache.

Personnally I developed a system of indicating pois. That is: You'll use the standard or custom geocache icons and attach an indicator to them.

It looks like this:

DNF-Entry.jpg

You can do it the hard way (build a file containing all DNFed caches, use Garmin's Poi Loader) or just use GSAK and the superb Macro GarminExport.gsk which has indicating pois implemented some times ago.

Have a look there: http://gsak.net/boar...indpost&p=97225

Hans

Edit: some typos

Edited by HHL