New to GPSMAP 62

Miss-Keeto

To have the 62 display a cache name instead of the GC code you first want to check to verify that that is the setting on the GPS. Main Menu --> Setup --> Geocaches --> Geocache list = Show Names

And in GSAK, set the Name field to %name or %smart

To delete the geocaches, you either check the box in GSAK to Clear before sending or you need to connect the 62 to your computer and manually delete the GPX file under Garmin\GPX

To have the 62 display a cache name instead of the GC code you first want to check to verify that that is the setting on the GPS. Main Menu --> Setup --> Geocaches --> Geocache list = Show Names

To delete the geocaches, you either check the box in GSAK to Clear before sending or you need to connect the 62 to your computer and manually delete the GPX file under Garmin\GPX

What program do you use to delete them? GSAK? Where do I find Garmin\GPX?

What program do you use to delete them? GSAK? Where do I find Garmin\GPX?

I dont know about GSAK ( dont use it ), but Garmin\GPX refers to the directory on your GPS where the GPX ( cache ) files are stored. In Mass storage mode ( GPS connected to PC with cable ) use windows explorer and navigate to that directory.... under My Computer there should be the GPS drive visible shortly after you connect it to your PC. Mine is Drive F:

Hope this helps.

Edited by janandsteve

I sometimes use GSAK to edit a pocket query -- such as to change the waypoints on a solved puzzle so it points me to the cache location rather than the dummy coordinates -- but generally just copy the gpx file into the garmin/gpx folder in the unit (as described above) and delete them the same way. If I am in GSAK, I export the gpx file into the same folder, but to delete that particular file I go back to the unit and do it there.

However, as long as you are looking into your 62, notice the file in the main garmin folder called "geocache_visits.txt" That holds the field notes, which makes logging online very easy. The geocache_visits.txt file records the status of the cahes you have marked as found or did not find and any comments you might have entered at that time. They can be uploaded through the links on your profile and give you a handy list of the caches and log status.

After I have logged caches I have found online, and when I am transferring a new gpx file to my unit, I go ahead and delete this file as well. It makes things tidier.

Edited by mulvaney