Getting permission to place caches

Jason-Payne

I live in Manassas, VA.

This city has hundreds of caches, many of which are on public grounds such as parks.

I went to the city building today to get information on where to obtain permission to place caches in the parks and public property around the city. I spoke to the lady in charge of Neighborhood Services, which runs the parks & rec for this city. She had never heard of geocaching. I explained it to her and she decided that she would have to run it passed the City Superintendant.

Long story short: I now have a meeting with the City Superintendant and the head of Neighborhood Services next Friday to discuss more about the geocaching "project"...

:blink:

So out of the hundreds of caches in Manassas that I spoke of earlier... Am I the only one who actually went to ask permission?

Possibly. If they come down against it, the Mr. Popularity award at the annual geocaching picnic will probably be out of the question.

Anyway, good luck with your meeting. It might be helpful to bring along a few copies of this brochure. Perhaps having a few sample caches with you will be a good idea too.

And you might want to bring a list of park systems that have embraced geocaching. There was a forum thread about that a while ago and it had a lot of information. I'll see if I can track it down.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks. I was planning on getting a presentation together. Thanks for the brochure, it's gonna help out.

One of the main reasons that I got out of the corporate IT world was so that I wouldn't have to prepare and give presentations to the "big wigs" at meetings any longer... :(

If anyone has any more information that would be good to present to the City, please post a link. I'll take all the help that I can get.

I was looking at the cache page for one of the caches that you've found, and noticed a link to a regional geocaching organization called NovaGo. I'd suggest that you check with them first to see if any work has been done or is in progress with your town. I can't speak for that group, but our local geocaching organization has a wealth of knowledge about the various regulations (and lack thereof) for our parks.

I just noticed another link on that cache that's worth being aware of when/if you end up talking to the city folks: Link

Edited by knowschad

that would be a danm sahme. all the other hidrs should have paved the way for him and no tthe other way aroudn.

I really don't mind making "first contact" with the City, but it would have been nice to know. I would have prepared more.

As it is, I walked in and said "I'm looking for information on how to get permission or approval to place geocaches in some of the parks."

Then she smiled and said, "What?"

"Ummm... Geocaches. I'm looking to get permission to place some geocaches in some of the parks...", I replied.

"What's a geocache?", she said with a confused tone to her voice.

"Ummm... It's... like a... treasure hunt? Kinda like... Goonies... only without... pirate skeletons... ummm..."

It was just really awkward, because I was expecting them to know what I was talking about.

Edited by DangerPayne

I might suggest even seeing if someone from a local geocaching group might want to go with you.

Check out the forums sections on local geocaching. There are groups listed under there. Email them if you want to get their attention fast.

I noticed you've only found 21 caches, so you haven't been hanging out here long. There may be many questions you can't answer that these other people can. The longer I hang out here the more I learn. I know I did not know enough to talk to anyone about caching after 21 finds.

Many in those groups already have materials and talks mapped out, as they may have talked to other officials already. It would save you a lot of work and a lot of stress to have one of them along.

A great example is the parks in our neck of the woods. Sandy Bottom Nature park in Hampton, VA and, to a larger degree, Newport News Park in Newport News, VA have a great system set up for caching. They have a permit system set up, and every cache in the park is labeled as such.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8a3b558f-38ec-4109-a360-3092df26c278&log=y&decrypt=

Might not be a bad idea to suggest a similar system, to make sure the park rangers are aware of where they are, and have an idea of what's going on when they catch folks wandering off in the bushes. The biggest suggestion I would give is trying to make sure the rangers patrolling the area have been educated on the sport.

"Kinda like... Goonies... only without... pirate skeletons... ummm..."

Actually...

Skeletons aside, this is something that has always worried me. When I ask permission, could I end up screwing things up for other CO's. I always try to contact other CO's with local hides before, just to get a feel for what is required.

Edited by Sins DS

I doubt many people seek adequate permission. I also doubt they would admit it here.

Many people have adequate permission. Not many people look for express permission. There is a difference. Some park systems know about geocaching, have no problem with it but simply do not want to deal with with requests for permission, or any other additional work the requests may create.

"Kinda like... Goonies... only without... pirate skeletons... ummm..."

Actually...

Skeletons aside, this is something that has always worried me. When I ask permission, could I end up screwing things up for other CO's. I always try to contact other CO's with local hides before, just to get a feel for what is required.

I kinda feel like I was thrown under a bus. It's not my fault that the other guys never sought permission. I however am too honest not to. It would suck if I screwed things up for the other guys, but I doubt that the city will decide not to support it because:

1- It's going on anyways and will continue to do so even if they do not support it.

2- The other cities and counties around here support it and have programs in place.

3- I'm pretty convincing and charismatic. :-)

Keep in mind, too, that most likely only a few of those hundreds of caches that you mention are actually on city owned park property.

More than a few, really, but I understand what you are getting at.

I doubt many people seek adequate permission. I also doubt they would admit it here.

Many people have adequate permission. Not many people look for express permission. There is a difference. Some park systems know about geocaching, have no problem with it but simply do not want to deal with with requests for permission, or any other additional work the requests may create.

very few have express permision and not enough have adequat permision

You might bring a copy of a Geocaching policy if they want to see one.

Here is a Nebraska Park one: http://outdoornebras.../geocaching.asp

THANKS!

The neighboring counties also have policies that I was going to bring to the table as examples.

I'd advise against showing them any other policies until it becomes clear that it would be to your advantage to do so. If they come up with more restrictive ideas, then you can break out a less restrictive policy and demonstrate to them that they may be taking it too far. But they may also arrive at a less restrictive stance if you allow it to happen.

THANKS!

The neighboring counties also have policies that I was going to bring to the table as examples.

I'd advise against showing them any other policies until it becomes clear that it would be to your advantage to do so. If they come up with more restrictive ideas, then you can break out a less restrictive policy and demonstrate to them that they may be taking it too far. But they may also arrive at a less restrictive stance if you allow it to happen.

You're probalby right. I'll stick to just showing them the brochure and what geocaching is and how it will befnefit them.

THANKS!

Very True!!

Point out that many areas have little or no policy except to allow them under the Groundspeak guidelines.

THANKS!

Exactly.. go in looking for the least restrictive policy you can negotiate, but be prepared in the end to accept what you can get.

THANKS!

You're probalby right. I'll stick to just showing them the brochure and what geocaching is and how it will befnefit them.

and consider taking someone along who has cached a bit longer so can answer their questions.

Check around on the forums for your area. Many would love to do this I'm sure.

THANKS!

Having another Ringbone moment there, AshleyCaine?

THANKS!

Having another Ringbone moment there, AshleyCaine?

What's a rnigbone? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

THANKS!

:ph34r:

I don't know why everyone is attacking this me. Im just trying to help out. Is that how you treat new members on the forums?

OK, yes I'm going to feed the sock here for a moment, just for the benefit of any real newbie who doesn't know what's going on and really thinks we may be attacking this guy.

A sock puppet is a second account. When it is used on the forums it is against the rules. One can have as many accounts as they like, but when you use the other accounts on the forums to argue your point, or to reek havoc, then it is against the terms of use of this site.

There was once a famous sock puppet who arguing quite intensely on the forums. His name was Ringbone. He has become the most famous sock puppet who's imagine is called upon when people find out they are dealing with sock puppets. Use the search if you wish. You can see how it all came about.

Things that get a sock noticed is arguing intensely for the same point the thread owner is making, especially when no one else is arguing his side.

Other clues are, poor spelling (they think this will make it look like another poster, but it really just makes them stand out to be identified); no finds and no hides and accounts that are just opened that day, and the poster seems to know all about geocaching.

People don't like sock puppets besides it being against the rules, because people use the socks to cause problems very often. They feel they can say anything hiding behind this alter-ego. Besides the fact it is just dishonest.

I'm sure many who have been here longer can add a lot more to that last paragraph. Feel free.

I don't know why everyone is attacking this me. Im just trying to help out. Is that how you treat new members on the forums?

OK, yes I'm going to feed the sock here for a moment, just for the benefit of any real newbie who doesn't know what's going on and really thinks we may be attacking this guy.

A sock puppet is a second account. When it is used on the forums it is against the rules. One can have as many accounts as they like, but when you use the other accounts on the forums to argue your point, or to reek havoc, then it is against the terms of use of this site.

There was once a famous sock puppet who arguing quite intensely on the forums. His name was Ringbone. He has become the most famous sock puppet who's imagine is called upon when people find out they are dealing with sock puppets. Use the search if you wish. You can see how it all came about.

Things that get a sock noticed is arguing intensely for the same point the thread owner is making, especially when no one else is arguing his side.

Other clues are, poor spelling (they think this will make it look like another poster, but it really just makes them stand out to be identified); no finds and no hides and accounts that are just opened that day, and the poster seems to know all about geocaching.

People don't like sock puppets besides it being against the rules, because people use the socks to cause problems very often. They feel they can say anything hiding behind this alter-ego. Besides the fact it is just dishonest.

I'm sure many who have been here longer can add a lot more to that last paragraph. Feel free.

Another sign of sockiness is the proclamation of innocence, and of not understanding what is "sock".

Okay. You're barking up the wrong tree here, guys.

I came here to try to get advice on how to approach this situation. I have no reason to post from multiple accounts or to even have multiple accounts. This is the first time that I even posted on the forum.

The Caine guy is not me. Frankly I would prefer this thread to get back on subject, as I have a real-world situation that I am seeking advice on.

Edited by DangerPayne

I'm confused. Do people think that I am a fake account? Or just the Caine guy? Or that I AM the Caine guy? What's going on?

Your profile shows somebody that has been around for a couple of years, has found a few caches, and even hid a brand new one, in Virginia. So that all looks legit. This other account, AshleyAshley or whatever, is most certainly bogus. What is puzzling to me, and apparently some others, is when he has, several times, confused his posts with your posts. But I'm not about to second guess you... you look legit, so I am going to assume that you are legit. And you asked a good question. Welcome to the forums, for better and for worse.

And Sol Seaker... thanks for thinking of posting that explaination. I think that was a very good idea.

I'm confused. Do people think that I am a fake account? Or just the Caine guy? Or that I AM the Caine guy? What's going on?

Your profile shows somebody that has been around for a couple of years, has found a few caches, and even hid a brand new one, in Virginia. So that all looks legit. This other account, AshleyAshley or whatever, is most certainly bogus. What is puzzling to me, and apparently some others, is when he has, several times, confused his posts with your posts. But I'm not about to second guess you... you look legit, so I am going to assume that you are legit. And you asked a good question. Welcome to the forums, for better and for worse.

And Sol Seaker... thanks for thinking of posting that explaination. I think that was a very good idea.

Thanks!

I have no clue why he/she/it is posting like that. I wish I could say that it doesn't bother me that people think I am trying to be deceptive about something, but it does. I haven't done anything at all to make people distrust me. *shrug*

Edited by DangerPayne

Why would I create a fake account to come into my own thread to answer my own question? If I already knew the answer I wouldn't have posted the damned thing here. I really do not have the motivation or urge to play any message-board games. So either take me as being me and not that Cane guy or just get out of this thread because you are not helping me with my question.