Garmin 62s vs. Oregon 550

I know this is a common topic, but I'm looking for info. on these two models specifically. Please no trolling. I'm not very tech savvy and I've done a lot of reading and calling stores to get this far.

The first few paragraphs are spec questions, but specs aside, how are these models when it comes to GC specific needs? That is something I'm finding it harder to get input on....downloads, cache hints, etc...

I am torn between the Garmin 62s and the Oregon 550.

When it comes to the terrain maps, we have a car GPS and a very nice turn by turn with the c:geo app. on my phone. The hiking we do is in WI and I’m not really concerned about elevation or terrain. Is there anything else I should consider about the T models? Right now they don’t seem like a necessity.

Between the 62s series and the Oregon, I know I lose the touch screen and the camera. I am purchasing a water/shock proof camera for an upcoming trip to Puerto Rico, so that isn’t necessarily a loss. I was told the touch screen is more like a car GPS and not as smooth as a phone touch screen. Has anyone had problems with input, especially in winter? Or do you prefer the touch screen?

I’ve been told the 550 is easier to use.

Finally, I was told that the 62s has a stronger antenna. We live in a rural area and do a lot of camping/hiking, plus when we’re in Puerto Rico there are some out of the way caches. I don’t know how significant the strength difference is, however.

How is battery life on either?

Thanks!

I'll offer up some advise based on your current level of "gadgetude" and my experience with both models.

1) First things first; you don't need the "T" models. It's a waste of money in my opinion but for many "luddites" who don't want to mess around with the technical aspects of loading new maps it may be easier to have maps already loaded.

2) You already plan to purchase a water-proof camera, why on earth would you want to spend the extra $$ on a low quality camera-phone'esq camera function? There are third party softwares out there that will georeference your photo's for you just using a tracklog. You should consider an Oregon 450 which is a bit cheaper and has all the features of the 550 without the camera.

3) Regardless of my input up to this point, go to your local brick-and-morter and get them both in your hand. Take a pair of gloves with you and try both models with and without the gloves that you normally wear. Navigate through the menus, get a feel for each one and base your decision off of that interraction. Some people love the touchscreen (I'm one) and others love the buttons (I love buttons too). I bought both and use them differently for different scenarios. It's impossible for anyone here to tell you which interface is more comfortable to you or which one would suit your specific needs better.

Edited to add: Your comment about the 550 being easier to use is subjective. I find, in many areas, the 62 easier to use. The screen specific menu items can be accessed from each screen on the 62. The Oregon forces you to exit out to the main menu and enter the setup menu in order to change most settings or to customize individual screens. Like I said, it's 50/50 until you get them both in your hand and feel them out.

Edited by yogazoo

Geocaching wise, the two are about the same. It all comes down to touch screen vs. buttons.

Battery life, I'd say the 62s should be better, since it does not need backlight as much.

You get a camera with the 550. If you don't need the camera, consider the 450.

The touchscreen is resistive and not exactly the most responsive thing around. On the other hand, it works with gloves.

I like the larger screen and higher resolution of the Oregon. I also like the touchscreen interface because it is (usually) more intuitive.

Geocaching wise, the two are about the same. It all comes down to touch screen vs. buttons.

Battery life, I'd say the 62s should be better, since it does not need backlight as much.

You get a camera with the 550. If you don't need the camera, consider the 450.

The touchscreen is resistive and not exactly the most responsive thing around. On the other hand, it works with gloves.

I like the larger screen and higher resolution of the Oregon. I also like the touchscreen interface because it is (usually) more intuitive.

You are right, it is a personal thing. I really like my 62S and did not like the DK20 or the Oregons I have owned because of the touch screen. I still love my PN-60 the best. For anyone it would be touch VS buttons.

Thanks

NOTE: I have never used the Oregon in the field, and as an owner of the 62s I will be bias...

Now, I did exactly what Matt suggested above. I went in to a shop that had both in stock.

To me the buttons and the menus of the 62s was easier to use but that was not the main deciding factor for me...

And I know this isn't scientific in any way shape or form but...

Holding them both at the same time, to me as a mechanical engineer, the 62s felt like it would survive for years thrown in a toolbox in the back of my pickup.

The Oregon just didn't feel as rugged.

That was why I walked home with the 62s and I haven't looked back since.

I just traded my 550t that I've had for almost exactly 1 year (abt 2000 caches?) for the 62s. First, I never could get the dadgum touch screen to function properly with my fingers and I'm not even fat!

While the receiver is excellent on the 550t, the frustration of trying to navigate between a geocache you're locked into and a waypoint, Geocaching active maps and compases just DROVE ME NUTS!

Last saturday I was out caching and I just couldn't get the darned touch screen to switch from one screen back to the compass and just squeezing the thing in my hand the touch screen cracked! Then I couldn't even mark a cache as found nor select another. So.. Now I've used the 62 for one full caching day and it's just a dream. The navigation (menu) is far better and easier to use (especially if you started with a 60CSx) and so far the receiver seems to be jsut as good as the 60CSx and 550t.

To me the buttons and the menus of the 62s was easier to use ...

That's probably you've already known how to work the button interface. I've never owned or used a button Garmin GPS before, and when I had a 60 in my hands for the first time, I was utterly lost. With an Oregon on the other hand, I knew what to do right away. If you consider a total noob, a touchscreen will always be easier to use.

Holding them both at the same time, to me as a mechanical engineer, the 62s felt like it would survive for years thrown in a toolbox in the back of my pickup.

The Oregon just didn't feel as rugged.

I can't say I've had similar thoughts or feelings when I had either of them in my hand, byt hey, it's your experience. All I can say is that I've dropped my Oregon quite a few times (on concrete and asphalt no less), took it swimming, dragged it along rocks (with me sitting on it), and apart from the obligatory scratches and dents on the case it's still perfectly fine.

I have an old 60c that is similar to use as a 62. I liked it - reliable and tough. Labels wore off the buttons after a couple thousand caches but by then I didn't need the labels (hell. I didn't even need light - it became inutitive) But now I have the 550. I love it. True - the 62 has the quad helix ant. but from all I've heard, it's a tempest in a teapot. My 550 lockon is superb. Touch screen is great but fussy with gloves on. And it is tough. I took a bad fall with it in my hand - I ended up in the emerg room. It was fine. 'Nuff said. Get them in your hand. Pick one you like. They are both great.

Thank you, everyone, for your input! I should be able to get to a Cabela's late next week. Its been difficult to find a store that has them both on hand. I also "accidentally" overlooked the 450 since the 550 is what most people comment on, so that was great to know as well.

If you are close to an REI store give them a try. Their return policy and customer service is unsurpassed.

My 2cents!

I am also shopping and I have also narrowed it down to the 62s and 450. I finally made it out to a store with both models available for trial. The staff were great and gave me all the time I wanted with the units without any pressure to BUY NOW! So my thoughts on them after about 30 min of play time.

Garmin 450

Touchscreen - sensitivity was very good. Bare handed it worked great and responded quickly and accurately to my touch. Better than my Nuvi by leaps and bounds. It also worked well with a pair of insulated leather gloves. I live in Alberta, Canada so I had good reason to have them there for the test. With the gloves the accuracy of the touch was slightly off as you would expect but the screen still reacted quickly and never missed a touch. Also was easily viewable in as many different light conditions that I could test indoors. Well they did let me go about 3 feet out the doors to get satellite reception so some overcast as well. Still good.

Ease of use - Menu was instinctive. If you have ever had a smart phone, ipod, pda, etc.. it just makes sense. All of the geocaching and waypoint use that I tested (the store actually had a couple caches loaded) was very easy. The only tricky bit was placing a waypoint. I had to get the waypoint setting on and found I had to zoom in a lot to get it to place accurately. Maybe there is an experienced way around this.

Feel - Was a great fit for my hand. Yeah, I know, that is almost useless in a review as we will have different hands. None the less it felt like a well built sturdy unit. I probably wouldn't be willing to test it on my own unit though.

Garmin 62s

Screen - Is less than .5cm smaller than the touchscreen. I was amazed at this. From photos I always thought that the 62 was losing screen real estate to the 450. Not so. Insignificant difference in my opinion. Also, for the sake, of completeness, not a touch screen. The screen was equally good in the lighting conditions available.

Ease of use - This is the biggest difference from the 450. While navigating to and from the menus isn't hard, it isn't as instinctive as the touch screen menus of the 450. The button layout is less instinctive as well. I think it is a "having it long enough to remember where the right buttons are" thing. I did find my self having to look down at the buttons a lot. Now what this unit did easier was place waypoints. There is a mark button on the unit. You just hit the button and blam waypoint.

Feel - This unit feels tough. Tough enough that I really wouldn't worry about it getting banged around in my pack or worried if my three little rascals got a hold of it. Again the "fit" of the unit was very good. Different from the 450 but still a good fit. It is a good bit longer taking into account the antenna, almost same size screen, and buttons and the space to place them.

My decision, I will be buying the Garmin 62s. IMHO from what I have gathered and feel, going to be the longer lasting. Going to get stronger signal in the badland valleys and mountainous terrain I will be taking it. And has all the other abilities of the 450. I am now actively shopping for one. Come on awesome sale!!

A quick bit about me. I first heard about geocaching one day before this account was opened. I know, I must live in a box. I have years of GPS use for hunting, fishing, hiking and some S&R. I am a very techy guy with a serious weakness for all forms of gadgetry. I am live just on the outskirts of the badlands in AB and can't believe I never knew my favorite activity exhisted this long. To think of all the places I have been and all the caches I could have found :sad: Guess its a good excuse to make those trips again though. :grin:

Mike

Soon to be Cache Crazy!

EDIT: Screen Sizes from Garmin

450 - 1.53"W x 2.55"H (3.8 x 6.3 cm); 3" diag (7.6 cm)

62 - 1.6" x 2.2" (4.1 x 5.6 cm); 2.6" diag (6.6 cm)

Like I mentioned earlier, very very similar sized screens closer even than my estimate.

Edited by MikeAndHike

Mike you are awesome! That's a great top off to all of the feedback. Thanks!

My 2cents!

I am also shopping and I have also narrowed it down to the 62s and 450. I finally made it out to a store with both models available for trial. The staff were great and gave me all the time I wanted with the units without any pressure to BUY NOW! So my thoughts on them after about 30 min of play time.

Garmin 450

Touchscreen - sensitivity was very good. Bare handed it worked great and responded quickly and accurately to my touch. Better than my Nuvi by leaps and bounds. It also worked well with a pair of insulated leather gloves. I live in Alberta, Canada so I had good reason to have them there for the test. With the gloves the accuracy of the touch was slightly off as you would expect but the screen still reacted quickly and never missed a touch. Also was easily viewable in as many different light conditions that I could test indoors. Well they did let me go about 3 feet out the doors to get satellite reception so some overcast as well. Still good.

Ease of use - Menu was instinctive. If you have ever had a smart phone, ipod, pda, etc.. it just makes sense. All of the geocaching and waypoint use that I tested (the store actually had a couple caches loaded) was very easy. The only tricky bit was placing a waypoint. I had to get the waypoint setting on and found I had to zoom in a lot to get it to place accurately. Maybe there is an experienced way around this.

Feel - Was a great fit for my hand. Yeah, I know, that is almost useless in a review as we will have different hands. None the less it felt like a well built sturdy unit. I probably wouldn't be willing to test it on my own unit though.

Garmin 62s

Screen - Is less than .5cm smaller than the touchscreen. I was amazed at this. From photos I always thought that the 62 was losing screen real estate to the 450. Not so. Insignificant difference in my opinion. Also, for the sake, of completeness, not a touch screen. The screen was equally good in the lighting conditions available.

Ease of use - This is the biggest difference from the 450. While navigating to and from the menus isn't hard, it isn't as instinctive as the touch screen menus of the 450. The button layout is less instinctive as well. I think it is a "having it long enough to remember where the right buttons are" thing. I did find my self having to look down at the buttons a lot. Now what this unit did easier was place waypoints. There is a mark button on the unit. You just hit the button and blam waypoint.

Feel - This unit feels tough. Tough enough that I really wouldn't worry about it getting banged around in my pack or worried if my three little rascals got a hold of it. Again the "fit" of the unit was very good. Different from the 450 but still a good fit. It is a good bit longer taking into account the antenna, almost same size screen, and buttons and the space to place them.

My decision, I will be buying the Garmin 62s. IMHO from what I have gathered and feel, going to be the longer lasting. Going to get stronger signal in the badland valleys and mountainous terrain I will be taking it. And has all the other abilities of the 450. I am now actively shopping for one. Come on awesome sale!!

A quick bit about me. I first heard about geocaching one day before this account was opened. I know, I must live in a box. I have years of GPS use for hunting, fishing, hiking and some S&R. I am a very techy guy with a serious weakness for all forms of gadgetry. I am live just on the outskirts of the badlands in AB and can't believe I never knew my favorite activity exhisted this long. To think of all the places I have been and all the caches I could have found :sad: Guess its a good excuse to make those trips again though. :grin:

Mike

Soon to be Cache Crazy!

EDIT: Screen Sizes from Garmin

Like I mentioned earlier, very very similar sized screens closer even than my estimate.

The only tricky bit was placing a waypoint. I had to get the waypoint setting on and found I had to zoom in a lot to get it to place accurately. Maybe there is an experienced way around this.

If you want to mark a waypoint at a known location, you do it by "mark waypoint" (which is an option in the main menu and creates a new one at your current location) and then edit its coordinates. If you want to create one from the map, you do it how you describe. However, it's easier to pick a spot more accurately if you place the marker and then move the map underneath the marker, as opposed to setting the marker anew over and over again.

And the resolutions are 160x240 for the 62s and 240x400 for the Oregon 450. I think resolution makes a much bigger difference than screen size alone.

One difference between the two that hasn't been mentioned yet is Wherigo. The Oregon supports it while the 62 doesn't. Probably won't be a decision maker though.

Edited by dfx

Here is a couple of cents. I am running with an Oregon 450 since last June. I am very happy with it. I didn't think spending extra for a built in camera; (which is so so) would be worth it. Especially, I either have an IPhone4 already on me or a real camera. When caching some times I have the Oregon and 450 running. The compass thing for the Iphone I am still a bit disappointed in though. If I was buying today I would still go with the 450. Its rugged and compact. I dont want to drop the Iphone4.

U.N.C.L.E.

United Network for Cache Law and Enforcement

I didn't think spending extra for a built in camera; (which is so so) would be worth it. Especially, I either have an IPhone4 already on me or a real camera.

Veto. The camera is pretty awesome, especially considering its size. Much better than what you find on cell phones. It's totally worth the additional money over the 450 if you do want a camera.

Finally, I was told that the 62s has a stronger antenna. We live in a rural area and do a lot of camping/hiking, plus when we’re in Puerto Rico there are some out of the way caches. I don’t know how significant the strength difference is, however.

Since no one said anything about this, here's some thoughts...

Nothing on the ground has anything to do with receiving gps signals. The signals come from space, thousands of miles away, being urban vs rural will make no difference.

Actually, I should say its even just the opposite of what you are thinking, in the city, you have taller buildings and such that can interfere with the signals, in rural areas, you generally have a pretty good view of the sky, so a better view of the satellites, overall, you'll probably have an edge in rural areas in terms of reception.

The 62 has whats called a "quad helix" antenna, where the Oregon has a "patch" antenna. In theory, the quad helix will always do better, but chipset and other things can factor in.

I've seen several people that believe that the Oregon will outperform a 60 (which goes against this statement), but the general reason is because it has a much newer and higher tech chipset. I don't know if I've seen any comparisons of a 62 vs an Oregon, but I would think the 62 would have at least a slight edge. Before the recent set of new handhelds (like the Oregons, or even the etrex "h" models), the 60 was considered the king of reception. The 62 and 60 have essentially the same antenna, but (the 62 has) a much newer chipset.

I'll steal somewhat from what I posted to my local WGA boards:

I got the 62s yesterday after a sporadic trip to a Cabelas. I took feedback from the WGA and Groundspeak forums and played with both units. The 550 touchscreen was perfectly responsive with gloves on and the resolution is definitely better but the 62s was, in fact, much easier to navigate when screen toggling (though not as intuitive). However, the 550 feels as durable as a cell phone and my first thought about picking it up was that I was holding a very droppable computer mouse. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it one handed while multitasking. For MY hand the 550 literally felt like the shape and size of a computer mouse with a smooth surface, which I drop constantly. I completely believe the 550 is rugged enough. Again in my hand, the 62s just felt more so. I have very tiny hands and it has a nice grippable surface. My husband, on the other hand, felt they were equally durable but that the 550 would be more likely to be dropped. Losing the touch screen wasn't a big deal; the camera was a small loss. Picking up the 62s felt perfect. It was both narrower and thinner. It also seems much, much more durable....signifcantly so. The screens aren't quite as intuitive but easy enough to figure out. We took it out into the woods today to grab a few Valentine's Day caches and it worked really well.

The only odd thing is that we couldn't figure out how to set any field to the lat/lon of the location we were going to; only the coords of where we were currently. When we looked through the field options, I think it was Waypoint Destination, it listed the cache name but we couldn't find cache coords without going to the cache details. Any help with that would be great.

Try this, get your screen on your Ogegons set to show GPS accuracy. Now watch what it is and put your hand over the top of the GPS. Not the screen but where the antenna is. What do you see the accuracy do? Delorme and 62S owners do the same thing and let us know what it does.

Thanks

I have both a 62s and a pn-40. With the 40, EPE of 6 inside my house, it make no difference with my hand held on top of the "dome" with it upright or lying down. If I wrap my hand around the dome it goes from EPE of 6 to 9. With the 62s in the upright position I get a EPE of 15. With my hand on top or rapped around the antenna, the EPE goes from 15 to 23. For what it worth, when I use them side by side, both take me to the same position.

Try this, get your screen on your Ogegons set to show GPS accuracy. Now watch what it is and put your hand over the top of the GPS. Not the screen but where the antenna is. What do you see the accuracy do? Delorme and 62S owners do the same thing and let us know what it does.

Thanks

I have both a 62s and a pn-40. With the 40, EPE of 6 inside my house, it make no difference with my hand held on top of the "dome" with it upright or lying down. If I wrap my hand around the dome it goes from EPE of 6 to 9. With the 62s in the upright position I get a EPE of 15. With my hand on top or rapped around the antenna, the EPE goes from 15 to 23. For what it worth, when I use them side by side, both take me to the same position.

62s: In the house I was between 15-20. With my hand over the top I got 59!

Edited by Ashen15

My 2cents!

Garmin 450The only tricky bit was placing a waypoint. I had to get the waypoint setting on and found I had to zoom in a lot to get it to place accurately. Maybe there is an experienced way around this.

Oregons also have a mark waypoint button on the menu. You don't need to try and touch the screen where you are to drop a waypoint.

Regardless, I've just traded in my Oregon 300 after 5,000 caches of use and got a 62s. Now to unlearn the touchscreen ;)