Best way to get F2F is becoming a reviewer?

jaaake

Actually, a reviewer *could* wait to publish the cache until after he had already found it. No "rushing out the door" required. :rolleyes:

That's what I was getting at with the "insider information" metaphor.

Did you say that or was it Ashley? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I'm so confused1 :blink: :blink: :blink::laughing: :laughing:

But we have a genuine Ringbone! In forum terms, this is the equivalent of a full solar eclipse. I think I'm just going to revel in it for awhile.

But do we get to keep the threads for posterity? Huh? Huh? Pretty please??? :):) Or will they get swept away to oblivion, never to be read and enjoyed by future generations?

Actually, a reviewer *could* wait to publish the cache until after he had already found it. No "rushing out the door" required. :rolleyes:

which is why it was inapropraite for a reveiwer to joke about it.

Why would that be inappropriate? I thought it was funny.

the thread is about reveiwr ethics and an reveirwer is making jokes about cheating. it is inapropriate.

Why? Reviewers can't have a sense of humor?

Would you feel better if they found them under a sock puppet account?

qhy do you keep talkin about sock pupetts?

ift he sock fets, ware it!

I spewed my rum and coke on my keyboard reading that one:laughing:

O man.. Remind me not to post when I'm frustrated about home and work.

I was upset with my reviewer because none of my ideas have passed his approval with out modification.

I have one active cache and tons of ideas..

Guess I'll just hide more Bison Tubes..

-JAAAKE :smile:

which is why it was inapropraite for a reveiwer to joke about it.

Why would that be inappropriate? I thought it was funny.

the thread is about reveiwr ethics and an reveirwer is making jokes about cheating. it is inapropriate.

Why? Reviewers can't have a sense of humor?

Would you feel better if they found them under a sock puppet account?

qhy do you keep talkin about sock pupetts?

ift he sock fets, ware it!

I spewed my rum and coke on my keyboard reading that one:laughing:

Sorry about that... ;)

I was upset with my reviewer because none of my ideas have passed his approval with out modification.

LOL! I hope that you realize that this had nothing to do with you. But thanks for providing the space!

I do understand about reviewer frustration, but I hope that you realize that he/she is almost certainly right. Feel free to start a new thread, continue this one, or PM me if you'd like.

Did you say that or was it Ashley? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I'm so confused1 :blink: :blink: :blink::laughing: :laughing:

?

Crud, misspelled.

Dang it, Larry! I clicked it. :laughing:

Reviewers are generally really happy to get your caches published.

Just work with them on what didn't work about the cache.

Many people take it personally when their cache doesn't get published, when the truth is the reviewer would love to publish it, but they've got guidelines that they've got to stick to. There really aren't very many, and the few there are are really important.

Try reading the guidelines yourself; go over them carefully.

If you still don't know why your caches didn't get published, then talk to your reviewer about it.

Then you can re-do those caches by the guidelines and see them published.

Ethcally speaking, anyone reviewing caches should not be allowed to partake in F2F of that cache. It's the same thing as having insider information whenb trading in the stock market... I mean ethically the same... You can't get rich from F2Fs... Like you can by selling frozen orangejuice stocks...

That was a Trading Places reference. :unsure:

Please explain, specifically, what "insider information" a reviewer possesses when publishing a traditional cache.

Chill out. he was talking about making money from selling frozen orange juice stocks from Trading Places.

A reviewer does have an advantage even on a traditional. Even if he hits to publish button at home he could already have his jacket on and the car warmed up and out the door before it showed up on everyone else's email. But there is no profit to be made so I don't know why anyone would do it.

I do think it was inappropriate for you to joke about using a smartphone to publish the caches.

Chill out. I was talking about making money from selling frozen orange juice stocks from Trading Places.
Funny... you originally said "I".

No I did not. You edited my post. :rolleyes:

?

Crud, misspelled.

:lol: :lol: :lol::ph34r:

Does it count if you closed it before the video started? :unsure::laughing:

Ethcally speaking, anyone reviewing caches should not be allowed to partake in F2F of that cache. It's the same thing as having insider information whenb trading in the stock market... I mean ethically the same... You can't get rich from F2Fs... Like you can by selling frozen orangejuice stocks...

Please explain, specifically, what "insider information" a reviewer possesses when publishing a traditional cache.

The exact time when a cache (and it's coordinates) is going to be published. Of course, there's nothing stopping a CO from sharing those coordinates with a friend before it's published.

BTW, I've seen that Trading Places reference first hand. Several years ago I developed a system which is used to disseminate commodity information (including orange juice stocks and forecasts) that is produced by the USDA. The system allows anyone to subscribe to these reports via email. Each of those reports is on a strict time schedule so, for example, the "Frozen Orange Juice Stocks and Forecast" might be released every Friday at 3:00PM. Just prior to the official release time several people with different pieces of the data go into a room to construct the report. That portion of building goes into lockdown and nobody goes in or out of the room until the report is released. There is a physician on staff that goes into the room for it's locked down in case someone has a medical emergency. When the report is disseminated to their public web sites and news wires a copy goes to the site I developed and is distributed via email. Last week there were some network router issues where I work that delayed the release of reports via email and we started getting phone calls pretty fast. The system handles about 700 distinct reports a day and is the second highest bandwidth user at my university.

Ditto that. The only "inside" information is knowing when the button is getting pressed. It's fun to occasionally participate in the FTF party when you know a large group is likely to form. I don't see anything ethically wrong with going out after a cache has been published and joining a handful or a dozen other cachers looking for a new cache.

The button could be pushed when it's convenient for the reviewer and not the local FTF hounds.

Ditto that. The only "inside" information is knowing when the button is getting pressed. It's fun to occasionally participate in the FTF party when you know a large group is likely to form. I don't see anything ethically wrong with going out after a cache has been published and joining a handful or a dozen other cachers looking for a new cache.

The button could be pushed when it's convenient for the reviewer and not the local FTF hounds.

I have a shortcut on my desktop for the New England weather maps. :lol:

Heck, I make sure I hit the "SUBMIT" button during snow storms! :lol: That brings out hte true FTF hounds.

Why does my post say "Ringbone"? :unsure:

what the hell is a rnigbone?

No no no no no-it is correctly spelled ringbone. If you want to carp about reviewers and add misspelling to your accusations you must involve chindlen.

what does the age of an acuont have to do with reveiwers cheating on f2f? why cant you stick to the subject?

Hmm, it often also reflects something about the posters age as well. :laughing:

And in an attempt to drive this one even further off track-I hear that some reviewers publish caches at all hours of the day and night, just to mess with the FTFers.

Edited by wimseyguy

Ethically? Comparing to insider trading? Seems a bit extreme to me. :rolleyes:

Ethically? Comparing to insider trading? Seems a bit extreme to me. :rolleyes:

You're late for the party, Bart. But since you're here, would you mind carrying out a bag of empty bottles? Thanks.

?

Crud, misspelled.

:lol: :lol: :lol::ph34r:

Does it count if you closed it before the video started? :unsure::laughing:

Yes.

Back on subject. Using my reviewer account, I published a few caches yesterday. Then I had dinner. Then I put my boots on and headed out to try for FTF on a cache about 2 miles away. Got the FTF. Took the FTF prize. Found another cache (an older one) about another mile away. Left the FTF prize there. Haven't logged either one yet. I'm about a year behind in my logging. I'll log them eventually. Probably in about 6 months. How many sins did I commit?

Back on subject. Using my reviewer account, I published a few caches yesterday. Then I had dinner. Then I put my boots on and headed out to try for FTF on a cache about 2 miles away. Got the FTF. Took the FTF prize. Found another cache (an older one) about another mile away. Left the FTF prize there. Haven't logged either one yet. I'm about a year behind in my logging. I'll log them eventually. Probably in about 6 months. How many sins did I commit?

One. You haven't logged your finds yet.

That came in uber-handy for my cache. Hello ice storm. :lol:

Although you're my local reviewer I guess I'm going to have to A) start playing the FTF game, and B) move, if I'm ever going meet you at one of these FTF parties. The only time I've ever seen a handful of people looking for a new cache was at local 10/10/10 event and a new cache was published that was about 200' from the area where the event was held.

It was a great event and a good FTF party though with attendees traveling to Ithaca from over three hours away. Who knows, maybe you actually *were* at that party.

At one time I had some coins made... I went out to 5-6 caches that were not published, and dropped the unactivated coin in them. Later I published them. I did not claim the ftf... or sign the log. It was all just for fun.

I have been really tempted to set up a lemonade stand and hit publish someday.

As for FTF's i usually do not go out for them. If the other reviewer lists one nearby i have considered running out after it, the only time I tried I was beaten by 4 cachers.

As for puzzles.. I rarely ever look for them anymore. After finding one or two early on and getting a scathing emails about how I cheated to solve the puzzle. (The puzzles were solved before I became a reviewer). I sometime play with solving them, but I do not put my heart into them.