Best way to get F2F is becoming a reviewer?

jaaake

I think a Reviewer wouldn't last very long if he/she got FTF on the caches he/she is reviewing!

I don't think many reviewers (none that I am aware of) really care about the FTF game, frankly.

I'm relatively certain that any Reviewer that shanghai'd FTF's like that would be bludgeoned to death with Lock-n-Lock containers...

Just sayin...

Especially since the launch of instant notifications, a reviewer has very little advantage when seeking ftf on a traditional cache. There's no problem in occasionally jumping in the car after publishing a cache near home. Many reviewers like meeting fellow cachers for impromptu ftf events, just like anyone else.

Puzzles and multis? That's different.

Seeing a fun cache pop up on the computer at home, driving to the parking coordinates and publishing the cache from the cellphone? That's dirty pool, but fun to think about without actually doing it.

Becoming a reviewer is actually the worst way to get FTFs. Some reviewers were avid FTF hunters and knew that their FTF days were essentially over once they accepted the position.

Even if a reviewer were to abuse his powers, it's not like he'd be gaining much of an advantage these days. The moment he hits the publish button anybody with instant notification will receive one.

I guess one could conceivably head out, warm up his car, get dressed appropriately, then hit the publish button. That might give him a few minutes advantage, assuming the cache is equidistant from him and the rest of the FTF hounds.

Reviewers do get FTFs. There is no prohibition. But if he is the person publishing the cache, he will wait at least a day after it's published before attempting the cache. If he is not involved with its publication, then he is in the same boat as everybody else and has no advantage whatsoever.

But as others have said here, if there was a reviewer who was abusing his position, he wouldn't be a reviewer very long.

Especially since the launch of instant notifications, a reviewer has very little advantage when seeking ftf on a traditional cache. There's no problem in occasionally jumping in the car after publishing a cache near home. Many reviewers like meeting fellow cachers for impromptu ftf events, just like anyone else.

Puzzles and multis? That's different.

Seeing a fun cache pop up on the computer at home, driving to the parking coordinates and publishing the cache from the cellphone? That's dirty pool, but fun to think about without actually doing it.

You can't fool us you FTF crazed loose canon reviewer you!

Ethcally speaking, anyone reviewing caches should not be allowed to partake in F2F of that cache. It's the same thing as having insider information whenb trading in the stock market... I mean ethically the same... You can't get rich from F2Fs... Like you can by selling frozen orangejuice stocks...

That was a Trading Places reference. :unsure:

There is also the simple matter of geography. Our local reviewer doesn't live in my state and routinely approves caches that are several hours away from him by car. Our previous reviewer lived even further away. I'm sure other reviewers also serve large territories.

There's little advantage. Leaving the smartphone trick aside, of course :lol:

Ethcally speaking, anyone reviewing caches should not be allowed to partake in F2F of that cache. It's the same thing as having insider information whenb trading in the stock market... I mean ethically the same... You can't get rich from F2Fs... Like you can by selling frozen orangejuice stocks...

Please explain, specifically, what "insider information" a reviewer possesses when publishing a traditional cache.

Please explain, specifically, what "insider information" a reviewer possesses when publishing a traditional cache.

Chill out. he was talking about making money from selling frozen orange juice stocks from Trading Places.

A reviewer does have an advantage even on a traditional. Even if he hits to publish button at home he could already have his jacket on and the car warmed up and out the door before it showed up on everyone else's email. But there is no profit to be made so I don't know why anyone would do it.

I do think it was inappropriate for you to joke about using a smartphone to publish the caches.

Edited by CaineAshley

There is also the simple matter of geography. Our local reviewer doesn't live in my state and routinely approves caches that are several hours away from him by car. Our previous reviewer lived even further away. I'm sure other reviewers also serve large territories.

There's little advantage. Leaving the smartphone trick aside, of course :lol:

This is a really good point.

If my reviewer really wants to drive all over the state with his smartphone and spend all that time and money just to get FTF's well he's got a much bigger problem than just angering the community.

Let him have it!!

If you want to know who's finding the FTF's in your area, just show up at the FTF party.

The last one I went to there were four of us. All of the other three had fewer finds than I do. They definitely weren't reviewers.

Chill out. he was talking about making money from selling frozen orange juice stocks from Trading Places.

A reviewer does have an advantage even on a traditional. Even if he hits to publish button at home he could already have his jacket on and the car warmed up and out the door before it showed up on everyone else's email. But there is no profit to be made so I don't know why anyone would do it.

I do think it was inappropriate for you to joke about using a smartphone to publish the caches.

Chill out. I was talking about making money from selling frozen orange juice stocks from Trading Places.
Funny... you originally said "I". Edited by knowschad

Chill out. I was talking about making money from selling frozen orange juice stocks from Trading Places.
Funny... you originally said "I".

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good catch Knowschad!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Why does my post say "Ringbone"? :unsure:

I say let the reviewers have all the FTFs. With all the VOLUNTEER work they put in to make this game run why the heck not?

would you be ok wiht them using inside information to find puzle caches as a reward for all there hard work to?

How do you stop it? They review the information. Do you expect them to have their minds wiped before they go caching? Sounds awful Orwellian.

I say let the reviewers have all the FTFs. With all the VOLUNTEER work they put in to make this game run why the heck not?

would you be ok wiht them using inside information to find puzle caches as a reward for all there hard work to?

Sure. Why not?

By the way, you seem to have a few keys swapped around on that keyboard of yours. We've had a few other visitors recently that seem to use the same sort of keyboard. Odd, isn't it?

Actually, a reviewer *could* wait to publish the cache until after he had already found it. No "rushing out the door" required. :rolleyes:

which is why it was inapropraite for a reveiwer to joke about it.

Why would that be inappropriate? I thought it was funny.

the thread is about reveiwr ethics and an reveirwer is making jokes about cheating. it is inapropriate.

Actually, a reviewer *could* wait to publish the cache until after he had already found it. No "rushing out the door" required. :rolleyes:

the thread is about reveiwr ethics and an reveirwer is making jokes about cheating. it is inapropriate.

No, it's not. This thread is about

"*edit* Not worth complaining about here."

Why? Reviewers can't have a sense of humor?

Would you feel better if they found them under a sock puppet account?

qhy do you keep talkin about sock pupetts?

ift he sock fets, ware it!

Ditto that. The only "inside" information is knowing when the button is getting pressed. It's fun to occasionally participate in the FTF party when you know a large group is likely to form. I don't see anything ethically wrong with going out after a cache has been published and joining a handful or a dozen other cachers looking for a new cache.

[quote name='Keystone' timestamp='1297386931' post='461475d. It's fun to occasionally participate in the FTF party when you know a large group is likely to form. I don't see anything ethically wrong with going out after a cache has been published and joining a handful or a dozen other cachers looking for a new cache.

their wouldnt be anything wrong with heading outto jion others looking as long as you didnt try to steal the f2f from them.

[quote name='Keystone' timestamp='1297386931' post='461475d. It's fun to occasionally participate in the FTF party when you know a large group is likely to form. I don't see anything ethically wrong with going out after a cache has been published and joining a handful or a dozen other cachers looking for a new cache.

their wouldnt be anything wrong with heading outto jion others looking as long as you didnt try to steal the f2f from them.

:rolleyes: Okay, now we are getting way beyond parody.

I knew that post originally said "I". <_<

Oh, the dangers of allowing forum members to edit their posts...I like to call it "bait and switch". ;)

Brand new account today with no finds, no hides, appears to know more about the intricacies of the game than a new user should, and no reason to have complaints yet. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, I think duck.

That's what I was getting at with the "insider information" metaphor.

If that were the case, I'd be seeing the same name on all of the first to finds in this area. It's just not happening here for sure.

(And the sock was confirmed in another thread, post #20)