Travel Bug Promotion?

knowltonGeo

I just placed my first travelbug in a cache that I own.

Several people have visited the cache, but nobody has taken the TB yet. Or at least, they have not logged it yet.

Is there a way I can appropriately let others know about the TB? Like, promote the fact that it has been placed?

I don't want to be a nuisance or infringe upon Geocaching / Groundspeak terms of service...just let those who might be interested that the TB is there.

I suppose whomever is interested can just say "show me caches with travelbugs in them" and they'll get a list. :/

Sorry...just excited about my first TB!!

Hi

I would check the Cache again as geocachers or people may have taken them and not logging them out I have lost lot of TB's and Geocoin's

Not sure why people do this and when I email the geocacher who may have taken them out or may seen them - but there says no or do not reply. It is a sure if someone has lost them it be nice to email the owner.

Hi

I would check the Cache again as geocachers or people may have taken them and not logging them out I have lost lot of TB's and Geocoin's

Not sure why people do this and when I email the geocacher who may have taken them out or may seen them - but there says no or do not reply. It is a sure if someone has lost them it be nice to email the owner.

Yes. I guess it is the one mildly frustrating aspect of being a cache owner. You might be a fantastic communicator, but you cannot ensure that those who find your cache will be!

Your TB appears in the inventory list for the cache so those who enjoy looking for TBs will be able to see it when they look at the cache page. In your cache page note you mention that you dropped it in your cache on one day and planned to activate it the next. It's a better idea to activate the TB before you place it, because if someone found it before you turned it on, they wouldn't be able to log it or worse, might assume that it was a "prize" and activate it for their own account. It's less confusing to TB seachers in any case.

Edited by Brooklyn51

Sadly - about 2/3 of my TBs have disappeared over the years. Hopefully, it is still there in the cache or somebody is just slow at logging. But once we set them in the wild - we have nomore control over them.

When the process works....I imagine it can be thrilling.

Have you ever had TBs go missing and then reappear sometime later and complete their mission?

Do you ever change TB missions halfway through? Is this frowned-upon, or nobody cares, or is this okay to do?

Sadly - about 2/3 of my TBs have disappeared over the years. Hopefully, it is still there in the cache or somebody is just slow at logging. But once we set them in the wild - we have nomore control over them.

Have you ever had TBs go missing and then reappear sometime later and complete their mission?

Do you ever change TB missions halfway through? Is this frowned-upon, or nobody cares, or is this okay to do?

When and if you change the mission be sure to leave all of the prior logs so you don't affect previous finders' history.

I've had TBs and geocoins appear after several years missing.

No problem changing the mission as often as you like.

Edited by briansnat

Since you own the cache where your travel bug was placed, there is no problem at all with leaving a note log on your page to encourage finders to take the TB along to start its mission. In fact, most owners wouldn't mind if you did the same thing as part of your found-it log on a cache you didn't own.

Also, it's not uncommon for TB's or geocoins to not move for several months. Especially in Winter months, or in places where geocaching is less popular.

Yeah. :/

I sent a message to those who have visited so far (up to the point I checked the cache myself and found the TB missing) asking them if they have the TB.

So far, no response from any visitors to the cache.

Also, it's not uncommon for TB's or geocoins to not move for several months. Especially in Winter months, or in places where geocaching is less popular.

I sent a message to those who have visited so far (up to the point I checked the cache myself and found the TB missing) asking them if they have the TB.

I hope you have good luck with your TB! Unfortunately, I've had abyssmal luck with most of mine. 2 of them never even made it to a second cache. :mad: I just think there are a lot of new cachers right now that don't understand how TB's are supposed to work. You might want to check out the TB forums.

I would caution you about e-mailing the finders of your cache about your TB. Personally, I would find that a little annoying. Just one e-mail wouldn't be bad, but don't start badgering people that don't respond! Anyways, hope your TB has a long and happy life, but don't get too attached to it. So many disappear!

I hope you have good luck with your TB! Unfortunately, I've had abyssmal luck with most of mine. 2 of them never even made it to a second cache. :mad: I just think there are a lot of new cachers right now that don't understand how TB's are supposed to work. You might want to check out the TB forums.

I would caution you about e-mailing the finders of your cache about your TB. Personally, I would find that a little annoying. Just one e-mail wouldn't be bad, but don't start badgering people that don't respond! Anyways, hope your TB has a long and happy life, but don't get too attached to it. So many disappear!

I am beginning to see that the life of a TB is tenuous at best.

Nah...I won't keep badgering them.