Samples with Track Number

manu luq

I have some doubts about the samples with track number.

Which is normally done with the samples with track number?, exactly the same as any other geocoin?

I have some unique versions -finally don't have been minted- all trackable, and I do not know what to do with them, whether to save or sell or trade or give.

you can give them to me! :lol: I will love them for sure!!! :D

Ok... without jokes... if they are trackable, I believe that they are just like all other geocoins!

since some are unique... you can activate them and let them travel under your name, or trade them, sell them and mention that they are unique...

On the other hand... why not save them? samples are beautiful in a collection! I have 2 sample coins (non trackables) in my collection and I adore them!

As you see... it is really up to you in what to do! I know... I am not helping a lot...

Just remember... there are cachers who collect sample coins no matter if they are trackable or not! So...

you can give them to me! :lol: I will love them for sure!!! :D

Ok... without jokes... if they are trackable, I believe that they are just like all other geocoins!

since some are unique... you can activate them and let them travel under your name, or trade them, sell them and mention that they are unique...

On the other hand... why not save them? samples are beautiful in a collection! I have 2 sample coins (non trackables) in my collection and I adore them!

As you see... it is really up to you in what to do! I know... I am not helping a lot...

Just remember... there are cachers who collect sample coins no matter if they are trackable or not! So...

Thanks for your opinion, has been very enlightening, ... I'll save it them from the outside world, ...by the moment :smile:

I assume that tracking numbers on samples will become standard. There are so many people who want the unique coins that they are beginning to become valuable. In fact, 'sample' might be too tame a word. 'Prototype' is closer to the truth and who wouldn't want a prototype?

Prototype - one of the first units manufactured of a product, which is tested so that the design can be changed if necessary before the product is manufactured commercially (World English Dictionary)

Edited by GregsonVaux

I assume that tracking numbers on samples will become standard. There are so many people who want the unique coins that they are beginning to become valuable. In fact, 'sample' might be too tame a word. 'Prototype' is closer to the truth and who wouldn't want a prototype?

We are always interested in the unique and rare. One thing to check, make sure the tracking numbers are not duplicated in the final order! That could present a problem if released into the wild.

Edited by JoenSue

We are always interested in the unique and rare. One thing to check, make sure the tracking numbers are not duplicated in the final order! That could present a problem if released into the wild.

Understood, I will keep my prototypes in the garage, and if there is any repeat ... do not let go ever! :ph34r::grin:

I am very proud of my samples, trackable or not. They are a reminder to me of the work put into the coin that I made. I keep mine in a separate container away from my discoverable coins and show them off when I get the chance. (I am working on a Geocaching 201- trackables:logging, moving and making)

Yep, that's the concern I had.... duplicate trackers.

Sometimes samples are the same metals and color as the mint run (an example would be my designs where I get a sample made before they are minted), other times they are unique color combos (such as the Compass Roses that recently sold on ebay). Some people like these unique variations. My only concern would be if you were to sell a sample and say it's unique 1 of 1, then at a later stage decide to go ahead and mint the coin with the same version.

I keep one of my samples in my collection, the others I either sell, trade, return to the vendor (such as what I did with the mardi gras masks) or send them out as travelers. It's entirely up to you... they make good charity and fund raiser options too.

Sometimes samples are the same metals and color as the mint run (an example would be my designs where I get a sample made before they are minted), other times they are unique color combos (such as the Compass Roses that recently sold on ebay). Some people like these unique variations. My only concern would be if you were to sell a sample and say it's unique 1 of 1, then at a later stage decide to go ahead and mint the coin with the same version.

I keep one of my samples in my collection, the others I either sell, trade, return to the vendor (such as what I did with the mardi gras masks) or send them out as travelers. It's entirely up to you... they make good charity and fund raiser options too.

I plan on selling my samples as unique. I already decided that if for some reason this version were later reminted, the only option would be to return the difference between the auction price and the regular sale price, or to return the full price given that the buyer returns the coin. If my cash flow were to be OK at the time, I would just refund the full price without a return. In my case, the risk is small enough to be non-existent. When I say that I will stop minting a coin edition, I will do my best keep my word. I figure there are so many other metal and enamel options available. I also made very sure that the tracking numbers on the prototypes were not duplicates since I sent out just six tracking numbers to the mint when the first six coins were made.

For the collectors and for historical reasons, I plan on changing the edge mold to reflect the year in which a coin was made. I don't have the price for an edge mold in front of me, but it is pretty nominal and I think that customers will appreciate the extra effort.

Any of those options sounds good ... except this ... I don't like it could happend to me ... :)

By the way, the icon of the samples should be one in particular?

In my case, the icon for the prototypes will be the same as for the other coins sharing the same name. It would be easy enough to give a unique coin its own icon, but Groundspeak would charge $150 and that is more than I want to spend. However, if a customer wanted an icon to go along with a unique coin, I would provide one, given that they paid for it.

By the way, the icon of the samples should be one in particular?

In my case, the icon for the prototypes will be the same as for the other coins sharing the same name. It would be easy enough to give a unique coin its own icon, but Groundspeak would charge $150 and that is more than I want to spend. However, if a customer wanted an icon to go along with a unique coin, I would provide one, given that they paid for it.

I said this because in my case, the samples have an icon, and the versions minted has his own icon.

Edit to add: Really, ...my design has three icons!!

Edited by manu luq

I said this because in my case, the samples have an icon, and the versions minted has his own icon.

Edit to add: Really, ...my design has three icons!!

Nice! The only thing that comes to mind is that your vendor is able to get icons for a lower price from Groundspeak than is available to me.

Well, it's more simple: Samples have the vendor icon, the version for the Club have his own icon, and for my versions is similar but another color.

The result is fine! :)

PS: I also paid $150,00 for my icon.