Best way to load multiple waypoints into a GPS or laptop?

CACHE KRAWLER

First off I apologize if this may be in the wrong section of the forums, but.....you all are the ones I know and trust.

The story-

My father, stepmother and my family,(wife and three little devils), are going to be completing the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route 5 in July, OBCDR, in our Jeeps. I have around a hundred or so waypoints that I need to individually name if possible, and upload to my GPS and laptop for the multi day trip. I have never had to do something like this and not sure how to go about doing it other than individually by my fingers.

I am currently deployed right now and internet service here is......well, very patience testing. So "surfing" the web doesn't happen much as time is scarce and honestly it's more like "watching grass grow" than "surfing".

Also, any recommendations for a good GPS computer program that can track our progress on my laptop as we travel would be helpful.

Any help and assistance will be greatly appreciated all.

Thank you very much,

Travis

If you have a Garmin you can use Map Source to add waypoints to your maps and then upload those waypoints to your GPS. You can also use it to create routes, etc. It's pretty easy. I believe you can just right click on a spot on the map and then click add waypoint on the drop down menu. You can then manually adjust the coords if need be to the ones you want.

If you don't have a garmin I beleive GSAK has a similar feature. GSAK is a shareware program that many of us use to upload caches to our GPS. A quick web search (when you are able) will lead you to the link that will take you to the website that will allow you to downlaod the program. It's free for 30 days. After that you get annoying reminder messages to send them money that get more and more frequent the longer you wait to pay them. The cost is a one time $30 fee and it's worth it.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will add to this if I have left anything out.

If you need to load a bunch of waypoints with customized names to your GPS, GSAK is probably the easiest way to go. It allows you to specify how waypoints should be named.

For tracking your progress across the desert, many GPSs (Garmin for sure), allow you to plug them into the computer using USB. Then, compatible programs can read current location off the GPS in real-time. I know Google Earth supports this, and I'm sure other mapping programs do as well.

Good luck on your adventure!

If you need to load a bunch of waypoints with customized names to your GPS, GSAK is probably the easiest way to go. It allows you to specify how waypoints should be named.

For tracking your progress across the desert, many GPSs (Garmin for sure), allow you to plug them into the computer using USB. Then, compatible programs can read current location off the GPS in real-time. I know Google Earth supports this, and I'm sure other mapping programs do as well.

Of course the problem with using GE in remote regions of Oregon is the issue of having net connections. My Verizon phone would display the message "Your kidding, right?" most of the time I was in remote areas.

Of course the problem with using GE in remote regions of Oregon is the issue of having net connections. My Verizon phone would display the message "Your kidding, right?" most of the time I was in remote areas.

I don't think the good Captain is talking about using the net. I have seen a GPSr connected to a laptop and Streets and Trips used the location from the GPSr to update the location in S&T. No net use at all. I'm sure this works with other mapping programs as well.

I don't think the good Captain is talking about using the net. I have seen a GPSr connected to a laptop and Streets and Trips used the location from the GPSr to update the location in S&T. No net use at all. I'm sure this works with other mapping programs as well.

Definitly S&T would work, perhaps Mapsource. I know you can save a static map from GE but not sure it will update a GPS location in real time on the static map. But that might be worth looking at.

Wasn't suggesting GE for use on the road. Only using it as an example of an app that can read location from an attached GPS. Heaven knows I wouldn't want to see the data bill from GE while traveling.