caches for "premium" members

This really pi$$es me off. Not at all that some website or a great idea like geocaching is trying to "cache" in on what they do. But, the fact that random people who are premium members make caches that you can only get if you ante up!!!!! WHY??? Why is it a difference if someone who pays the geocaching site on a yearly basis finds your cache, or that someone who doesn't spend the money. It's like if you hide a "premium" member cache out there, and label it as one, you're a chump for tempting people to pay this extra money when you don't get a dadgum thing in return.

So...people who hide premium member caches, amuse me......let me know why those certain caches are so much better than caches hid for people without that premium membership? Is it because these caches took some money to construct, and you don't want some newby trashing it or something? Either way, I think it's dumb.

If PMO caches take up make up more than 5% of my local caches I would be surprised. Usually these caches are unique containers or may be intended for good swag or trackables. My first PMO cachei hidden is my Golden Ammo Can for 1000 finds. The original one was not PMO and went missing after a couple months. Maybe it was geocachers, maybe not. But making it PMO lets me keep track of who views the page and reduces the chances of it going missing. I do benefit in this way. And out of all the PM benefits PMO caches are near the bottom.

BTW calling people dumb chumps, and using bad language is not smiled upon in these forums.

This really pi$$es me off. Not at all that some website or a great idea like geocaching is trying to "cache" in on what they do. But, the fact that random people who are premium members make caches that you can only get if you ante up!!!!! WHY??? Why is it a difference if someone who pays the geocaching site on a yearly basis finds your cache, or that someone who doesn't spend the money. It's like if you hide a "premium" member cache out there, and label it as one, you're a chump for tempting people to pay this extra money when you don't get a dadgum thing in return.

So...people who hide premium member caches, amuse me......let me know why those certain caches are so much better than caches hid for people without that premium membership? Is it because these caches took some money to construct, and you don't want some newby trashing it or something? Either way, I think it's dumb.

Please have a donut. They're free.

The trackable issue makes the most sense on our part. Say we activate a Geocoin we've paid $25 for (and we've paid that much for some). We would feel a lot more comfortable dropping it somewhere that we know is visited by folks that know what's up with trading rules, and are more likely to play along and send it on its way. There's never a guarantee that it won't go missing, but PMO caches are, IMHO, a safer bet for trackables.

On that note, would you guys consider a TB whose mission is to hop from PMO cache to PMO cache bad form? Maybe attach it to a little velvet rope or VIP tag?

I think the main reason people make their caches for premium members only is a way of thanking others for becoming premium members and supporting the site. When Jeremy first introduced premium membership there were not so many features available for premium members. Some people asked for the capability to designate a few caches as premium members only as way to create some more incentive to become a premium member.

Note that Jeremy also promised that basic geocaching would always remain free. And so far PMO caches have remained a small percentage of caches, so basic members have plenty of caches to find. Another thing that Jeremy has left open is the capability for a basic member to log a premium cache. Often a basic member will go caching with a premium member and if they find a premium members caches there is a way that the basic member can log the find even though they cannot see the cache page.

Another reason that some people give for making their caches premium member only is cache thievery. This was a bit more of a problem when the coordinates were available without need to log in. Some bored teenager would discover the geocaching site and decide to steal the containers. Even requiring a free basic account to get coordinates is not a barrier, but $30 a year just might be enough to deter a thief. Some premium cache owners believe that the audit information which shows who has viewed the premium members cache page is an additional layer of deterrent.

There's more to premium membership then just hiding premium member's caches. There's bookmarks, PQs, being able to download the caches as GPX files, and probably a few things I'm missing. Do you think it doesn't cost anything to run the website? If you do the math it costs about eight cents a day for premium membership. If you can't afford that you can't afford a GPS either.

This really pi$es me off. Not at all that some website or a great idea like geocaching is trying to "cache" in on what they do. But, the fact that random people who are premium members make caches that you can only get if you ante up!!!!! WHY??? Why is it a difference if someone who pays the geocaching site on a yearly basis finds your cache, or that someone who doesn't spend the money. It's like if you hide a "premium" member cache out there, and label it as one, you're a chump for tempting people to pay this extra money when you don't get a dadgum thing in return.

I think they are a waste of my time. Most of the ones I have found are lame. I never go out of my way to find them.

They don't aggravate me. Granted I am not a premium member yet. I wanna do tons more caches but I also wanna make sure that I am still going to be an active cacher come next year at this time.

I plan to upgrade soon but I am not sure if I wanna do 3 months or the full year.

Based on what I heard about some of the premium finds. I would imagine they are more secure, and less likely to be stolen, gone missing, ect. Which gives an addeded sense of security to the owner of the cache, or anyone placing expensive coins, or other trackables.

Another reason that some people give for making their caches premium member only is cache thievery. This was a bit more of a problem when the coordinates were available without need to log in. Some bored teenager would discover the geocaching site and decide to steal the containers. Even requiring a free basic account to get coordinates is not a barrier, but $30 a year just might be enough to deter a thief. Some premium cache owners believe that the audit information which shows who has viewed the premium members cache page is an additional layer of deterrent.

This is one of the reasons I make all my caches PMO. I've had problems with theft and/or malicious logs posted on the cache page.

My other reason is that some of my caches are of relatively low quality, and I don't want newbies to think that geocaching is about driving around parking lots finding easy caches in light poles.

I think the main reason people make their caches for premium members only is a way of thanking others for becoming premium members and supporting the site. When Jeremy first introduced premium membership there were not so many features available for premium members. Some people asked for the capability to designate a few caches as premium members only as way to create some more incentive to become a premium member.

Note that Jeremy also promised that basic geocaching would always remain free. And so far PMO caches have remained a small percentage of caches, so basic members have plenty of caches to find. Another thing that Jeremy has left open is the capability for a basic member to log a premium cache. Often a basic member will go caching with a premium member and if they find a premium members caches there is a way that the basic member can log the find even though they cannot see the cache page.

Mr. T is correct.

For those of you who seem quite surprised by the OP's reaction, and think he needs to chill, rest assured premium member caches, which were created in 2002, were much much more controversial back then, and for a few years afterwards. But now they've just come to be accepted, not unlike the Libyan people have just accepted Kadhafi's rule for 40 years. Wait a minute, not a good example. :anibad:

So...people who hide premium member caches, amuse me......let me know why those certain caches are so much better than caches hid for people without that premium membership?

After 13 months of basic membership, I upgraded to premium a couple of months ago.

I did it mainly to support Groundspeak, because at least here in Colorado I have seen no real difference in caches or swag among the premium member-only caches that I have found. (I have not gone out-of-state since upgrading.)

Don't forget, if through some means or other a basic member finds a PMO cache, he or she can still log it. <_<

One of the main reasons Premium Member Only caches (PMO) are placed is to protect them.

Anyone can join GC without revealing anything about themselves at all apart from an email address, which can be got easily.

Then cache and destroy every thing they find.

In areas where this has happened PMO caches are placed as these people are less likely to pay to access the caches.

It also protects the caches from inexperienced newbies as these cachers are less likely to be premium members until the get in to it.

You can also protect a sensitive area in this way too as not so many will go for that cache.

In my mind these are valid reasons for PMO caches, though i have yet to place one myself.

:unsure: Ok...I'm not a newbie by any means anymore, but I don't totally get the member only caches. There is a cache that came out maybe within the last year or so that was for everyone. I was out within about an hour of it being posted, and for sure was the first to find the first stage. But, then I got stuck, and have been back more times than I can remember trying to find the second stage. I looked it up again tonight, and it is now switched to a premium member cache?! NOW WHAT? If I were to find it, what do I do about a log? Now I can't log the find? Unless something has changed (I can't view it anymore), I know it's not an ammo box or anything that big, so what gives? I know from being at the place so many times, it is nothing all that special, no awesome view or special privileges to the cache site. :blink:

Ok... I'll give it a response. This will probably get me flamed but I am going to give MY OPINION formulated after speaking to several local cache owners. (which I might point out... a group I am NOT a member of as I do not have any caches hidden)

Toz was correct in his earlier post. Some members seek to reward others who have made a financial contribution to the website. (arguments abound in the threads that this "contribution" only makes up an tiny portion of the revenue GC.com pulls in)

Several of the last responses on this thread also bring up the "valuable" aspect driving Owners to seek a little "protection". This "value" could be in the cache container itself, or in the contents.

Some owners have turned to this action as a result of "cache pirates" and/ or "tree huggers" stealing caches.

I would like to offer another basis for your consideration.

In talking with several different local cache owners, about the" minor shift" to PMO caches that seems to be occuring in our area, a couple of them explained it by stating" they are dismayed by the new cell phone apps, which make geocaching accessible to everyone". BEFORE you get worked up over that statement give me the courtesy of explaining further.

This game is open to everyone. YES everyone. However... many "players" using smart phone apps, download the app, run out, start finding caches, and never log onto the "Resources" pages, to read the guidelines about what they are playing, and how it is best played. This results in a lot of angst for owners who complain about blank entries on the cache pages by finders, Travel bugs and coins being misinterpreted as "free gifts', and even one occurence locally of someone taking the cache and attempting to hide it somewhere else, because they thought that was what the game was. "I find it, then I get to hide it somewhere else, the someone else takes a turn."

By making their caches PMO, they believe it encourages players to investigate further, the many pages of the website, and learn much more than the "free" app or even the low cost app will teach them, while at the same time offering some "shelter" of their caches from players who can't be bothered with such things. (if you are not one of those players you should not be offended by that)

I have to agree (to a certain point) this works! Usually by someone taking the time to try and find out not only where the cache is located, but how to log it (which has been explained many times in these forums,) without paying for a Premium membership.

The unfortunate fact is, many players enter the game with enthusiasm and eagerness, but don't stay long. "Some" leave a trail of wreckage behind. Although it could be said many veteran cachers seem to do the same.

While it may seem harsh , judgemental, and even as far as "profiling" you must admit, the "app craze" introduces many smart phone owners to subjects they really don't develope further, but merely sound impressive to their friends when they tell them they have 37 different apps on their phone.

Does it accomplish what these Owners think it does?

In a short term sense, I think using the PMO option in this manner offers a minimal defense from "flash in the fire" players, and it could be argued that it actually works against the owner. As made apparent in this thread, it sometimes provokes an extreme negative reaction from the very people the CO's MAY have attempted to thwart.

As a premium member I started asking around as I noticed some new publish caches were PMO. I use the PM for the pocket queries, as I am not all that swift at computer skills, nor at loading info to my GPS. The PQ's simplified it incredibly, by gathering the info for me, and allowing almost one click transfer to my handheld.

I would also like to mention that I started caching with a Blackberry and the Cacheberry app. I quickly found its accuracy, and the availability of info to be somewhat lacking. I already owned a Garmin handheld which I use for deer hunting, and shortly after "really getting into" the game bought a Delorme. So I am not throwing rocks at anyone using a smart phone.

Just thought I would share my thoughts on the subject, and give readers and posters something else to consider when they do like I did and ask "why?".

This is all the result of asking others myself, and listening to their "opinions". Myself?? I don't have caches hidden... am already a Premium Member...and don't really take a stand on what someone else chooses to do with their cache... so I guess it is not a matter for me to get worked up about. Others may feel differently, and I do not hold that against them.

<snip>

Long-winded perhaps, but a good response. Thumbs up!

Toz's posts are getting shorter, and mine are getting longer. I am wondering if this is something I should get concerned about??:blink::laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

edit to add- seriously, this PMO thing is something I have noticed of late, and as I know most of the local owners I thought I would just ask at a local "gathering" what it was about. I have to admit, I was surprised. I had not really noticed the blank logs, or "SFMMD" logs. (one of the sources of angst locally)

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I've encountered the same problem as Goldfishy. I am not a premium member, but I do love this game! I've considered getting a premium membership on and off. I usually don't do it for monetary reasons-just not in the budget right now.

I also noticed a local cacher has recently made ALL of his caches private - even ones that have been out for years that I have found. It's frustrating that even if I wrote down the coordinates months ago and find a cache, I can't really get credit for it on the site. But did I read someone's post correctly? I can log a private cache find even if I'm not a premium member?

I've encountered the same problem as Goldfishy. I am not a premium member, but I do love this game! I've considered getting a premium membership on and off. I usually don't do it for monetary reasons-just not in the budget right now.

I also noticed a local cacher has recently made ALL of his caches private - even ones that have been out for years that I have found. It's frustrating that even if I wrote down the coordinates months ago and find a cache, I can't really get credit for it on the site. But did I read someone's post correctly? I can log a private cache find even if I'm not a premium member?

That is absolutely correct. Search "Backdoor Method" on the forum search and you will find several threads where it has been discussed over and again. Groundspeak has allowed the continued existence of this method of logging. I wish I could tell you how and save you the search, but I never had to use it so I have never tried it.

Try here

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Thank you, N&N. I just logged the cache I found on Christmas that was private.

Here's how you do it:

Go to a (non-event) cache you haven't found, and click on "Log your visit." Change the ID=000000 in the URL to WP=GCXXXXXX and hit enter.

This is good to know in case I run into any others that are private.

Thank you, N&N. I just logged the cache I found on Christmas that was private.

Here's how you do it:

Go to a (non-event) cache you haven't found, and click on "Log your visit." Change the ID=000000 in the URL to WP=GCXXXXXX and hit enter.

This is good to know in case I run into any others that are private.

You are quite welcome. While I believe CO's often make their caches private from searchers for many different reasons, I don't believe keeping finders (PM or regular) from logging them is their goal.. At least I hope not.

Most of the high terrain, high difficulty caches in the area are premium member only caches to limit newbie finders, trolls, muggles, what have you.

There is some noticeable difference in the quality of hide - premium vs. non - that I've seen, but again, usually only noticeable for the higher difficulty caches.

Most of the high terrain, high difficulty caches in the area are premium member only caches to limit newbie finders, trolls, muggles, what have you.

There is some noticeable difference in the quality of hide - premium vs. non - that I've seen, but again, usually only noticeable for the higher difficulty caches.

I cache in the same areas and notice that there are just as many micros in not so special places that are PMO. Usually a 1.5 - 2 tops, not just higher difficulty/terrain.

Dealings with more than one CO in the area showed the caches were placed PMO more for the "audit" function (who's looking at my hides) than any hint of caches being muggled or attempted by "newbies."

We were premium members within weeks of joining, so (if we wanted to) we could access any/all, including PMOs. Still "newbies", what's the difference ?

Most (can't say "all", but close) of the higher-terrain hides are PMO in the area, so there really isn't much to compare 'em to.

I cache in the same areas and notice that there are just as many micros in not so special places that are PMO. Usually a 1.5 - 2 tops, not just higher difficulty/terrain.

Dealings with more than one CO in the area showed the caches were placed PMO more for the "audit" function (who's looking at my hides) than any hint of caches being muggled or attempted by "newbies."

We were premium members within weeks of joining, so (if we wanted to) we could access any/all, including PMOs. Still "newbies", what's the difference ?

Most (can't say "all", but close) of the higher-terrain hides are PMO in the area, so there really isn't much to compare 'em to.

I guarantee I know exactly which cacher you refer to regarding the low terrain / low difficulty PMO caches as I've found nearly all of them in short order :)

I also just finished your growth stages puzzle series yesterday, thanks for that by the way :)

I suppose when I refer to the PMO high terrain caches (5/5 types)...you're right in that there's little to compare them to because they're somewhat restrictive - i.e. they require special gear to find - and I haven't seen many 5/5-ers in Eastern PA that are non-PMO. Actually I haven't seen many 5/5's in the Mid-Atlantic in my PQ's that are non-PMO. Knowing a few of the CO's of the 5/5's personally, they were placed more on account of muggling. They're in interesting areas and took a lot of time to construct and hide, and I can definitely see why they'd want to limit exposure.

I have a low difficulty PMO that I placed as PMO just for the audit function. It is in a high muggle area, though.

It was the desire to complete a 5/5 in the Lehigh Valley that made me (and my caching entourage) buy premium memberships. And climbing gear. And soon, a kayak...

I placed 12 caches today...all premium membership caches.....maybe they don't get muggled as often, maybe they are harder to get to, maybe I want to offer caches to those that are paying members....any, part, or all of these things may be true...bottom line, I am the cache owner. I can make them premium caches if I want to with no explanation due to you or anyone else. I play this game the way I want to play it....so there....(making a raspberry sound).

After reading this thread, I am going to make sure that all of the caches I hide now will be PMO's. I was trying to keep most of mine as basic for everyone, but this pi$$ed me off.

I buy the membership to support the hobby I love. After all, if you were into kite flying, wouldn't you buy a kite? Or maybe you like to drive? You gotta buy gas, don't you?

Well, for the price of just $30 per year, it is well worth it for me especially doing the PQ's and loading them onto my 2 GPS's and my smartphone.

I've been pondering a response to the OP for a bit now.

I have to say I didn't become a PM for the PMO caches (there are I think 5 in my area), I became one for the PQ's.

PMs don't have to put out PMO caches, but when they do it is up to them. I feel like you're getting made at them for a choice they made about their cache, like you might get mad at someone who makes a difficult puzzle that you don't know how to solve.

And you don't have to find all caches.

Big deep breath. That is good. Feel better. Go find a cache!

After reading this thread, I am going to make sure that all of the caches I hide now will be PMO's. I was trying to keep most of mine as basic for everyone, but this pi$$ed me off.

I buy the membership to support the hobby I love. After all, if you were into kite flying, wouldn't you buy a kite? Or maybe you like to drive? You gotta buy gas, don't you?

Well, for the price of just $30 per year, it is well worth it for me especially doing the PQ's and loading them onto my 2 GPS's and my smartphone.

Wow, that's kind of a crap move, good thing I don't live near you lol. I have to agree with the OP because it really "pi$$es me off" as well. I've been a user here for a year now and when i started, there were no premium caches, but now there are. It's really annoying when you're hiding a new cache when you can't see the premium caches nearby (which has happened to me twice). I understand that it's for supporting the website, but they have a shop for that and if i wanted to support them, i'd buy something there. Otherwise $30 a year just to see a few extra caches is a ripoff. I'm a college student with no job who wants a free hobby. My dad gave me a GPS so I came here since it was free to geocache. Now, having to pay to see all the geocaches is stupid.

Premium Membership has been around for quite a while, I think.

Why'd you bump this old thread and then start a whole new one?

Edit: This topic (and your viewpoint) have come up very, very often. If you read those threads, you'll see that in most areas, the ratio of PMO caches to "normal" caches is pretty small.

Edited by JJnTJ

How many of you guys that pi$$ and moan about premium membership don't think anything of paying $1.75 for a bottle of beer or $60.00 a week for a carton of cigarettes, or maybe $1500.00 for a shotgun to shoot trap, but think it's terrible to pay 8.2 cents a day for premium membership

I'm a premium member and any premium caches I've visited are exactly the same as non-premium ones. The thing that bothers me is, we take our grandchildren geocaching and they have their own caching names but can't log a find if we're on a trail and one happens to be a PMO cache. Their parents are premium members too. It's off putting for the kids.

I'm a premium member and any premium caches I've visited are exactly the same as non-premium ones. The thing that bothers me is, we take our grandchildren geocaching and they have their own caching names but can't log a find if we're on a trail and one happens to be a PMO cache. Their parents are premium members too. It's off putting for the kids.

You can use the GC code to access the page and they can log their finds. They signed the log, they can log the find.

You can use the GC code to access the page and they can log their finds. They signed the log, they can log the find.

Tried that, but the page comes up with a message saying the hider has chosen to show this page to premium members only and there is a full page of the advantages of being a premium member and asking for $30 to upgrade now.

Hi, Can you please tell me how my grandchildren can log PMO finds? they hate it when they're caching with us when we're doing a bit of a walk and one of the caches turns out to be for PMO.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GCxxxxx

Just put in the correct GC code. Choose the log option.

This isn't a super secret work around or anything.

There are a few workarounds but this one I think is the easiest.

Maybe it's us, but everytime my grandson puts int the GC code the page that comes up tells him he must be a premium member and there is nowhere that lets him log his visit.

>

Hide and Seek A Geocache > Geocache Details

Tour De Forth - When The Tigers Broke Free no19 (GC29CVR)

A cache by geezagoal

The owner of Tour De Forth - When The Tigers Broke Free no19 has chosen to make this cache listing visible to Premium Members only. Read about the Premium Membership benefits below. Upgrade now.

Show me the Difference

Basic Membership

Free

Premium Membership

$30/Year

$10/3 Months

Rate Your Favorites

Award Favorite Points to exceptional geocaches that you have found and sort search results by most Favorited caches.

Statistics

Visualize and share your geocaching activity with bar graphs and other dynamic infographics.

Maps

Use the map view filters to see only the types of geocaches that appeal to you or to remove your hides and finds.

Create and Share Geocaching Lists

Organize caches to keep track of Favorites, watch the activity of caches, ignore caches so that they do not appear in your search results, or Bookmark caches into groupings such as "the best caches for out-of-town guests."

Custom Searches

Create custom searches based on geocache size, location, attributes and more with Pocket Queries. See how to use this feature

Be Instantly Notified of Geocaches

Be the first to find a geocache when you receive Instant Notifications about newly published geocaches on your cell phone or other mobile device.

Caches Along a Route

Search for geocaches along a route on your next road trip. Tell us where you are going and we will let you know what geocaches are along the way.

Support Geocaching.com

Support the development and maintenance of the Geocaching.com site. As long as you continue to renew your membership, you will always be guaranteed the rate at which you first became a Premium Member!

Premium Member Access to all Groundspeak Websites

Access all Premium features and tools on Geocaching.com, Waymarking.com and Wherigo.com.

Access to Location

View coordinates and location information for geocaches.

Share Your Experiences

Place your geocaching stories and photos online after writing about your experience in the geocache logbook.

Basic Membership

Free

Premium Membership

$30/Year

$10/3 Months

Nothing about the cache or where to log.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GCxxxxx

Just put in the correct GC code. Choose the log option.

This isn't a super secret work around or anything.

There are a few workarounds but this one I think is the easiest.

Maybe it's us, but everytime my grandson puts int the GC code the page that comes up tells him he must be a premium member and there is nowhere that lets him log his visit.

Tour De Forth - When The Tigers Broke Free no19 (GC29CVR)

Okay, step one: Log into the site as you (or someone with a PM) note the GC codes for the caches. Write them down some place handy.

Step two: Log into the main site as the person without a PM.

Step Three: Click on the link I provided- or right click it and open in a new tab.

Step Four: Change the xxxxx at the end to match the GC code.

Step Five: Log the find.

I just tried that out with my mothers account and it worked for me.