Glacier National Park

BeccaDay

I am heading out to Glacier National Park this summer. Of course when I started planning for the trip I scoped out caching opportunities. I was amazed by the lack of EC's in the area. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is because no one has taken the time to create them or if permission is impossible to get. The first EC I created was in Olympic National Park. It took over a month to get the permission but it was eventually granted. Just curious if I should bother going through all the work of creating some EC's if I wouldn't be able to get permission anyway. Does anyone know? Thanks!

I couldn't even begin to guess. I know that TerryDad2 probably holds the record for patience while waiting for the NPS to approve some of his locations in Yosemite (in excess of 2 years I believe).

On the other hand, it took me probably a week and half to have my two Listings approved in Sequoia National Park.

There's really no rhyme or reason, and the only way you'll find out is by asking....and sometimes it depends on who you ask.

Best of luck!

I would suggest starting with the Park's website. There is usually a contact email or phone number that would connect you with one of the lower level administrative types. From there you'll have to work your way up the chain of command until you can find a Ranger willing to put their name as a contact person. For most NPS lands this would be the Ranger in charge of Rescouce Management, but it varies from one Park to the next.

In terms of submitting an EC, it's best to get something in writing via email or snail mail which you can include with the submission.

Good luck.

Carlsbad Caverns is very near to my new home. Who "do" you ask to get that permissions ball rolling? I honestly wouldn't know where to begin.

Ask the person who placed the existing earthcache at the Caverns who he or she contacted and what the process was like there. We just went there last month and would love to see a new earthcache if we ever return -- a magnificent, inspiring place with room for more than the existing earthcache and virtuals.

I sometimes start at the top, emailing the superintendent, but also have just contacted the general email site on the park web page and began from there. For caches within the NPS, there is a handy directory that allows you to find people and email contact information (doing a broad search of the park as a whole in the drop down menu). Regardless of where I have started, I have had good luck in getting it channeled to the right person.

In either case, I have learned to asume the person I am contacting knows nothing about earthcaches -- even if there is already some in the park, they may have been approved by a previous administrator. So I start pretty basic and explain the idea from there, trying to get them interested and involved in the process. TerryDad2's profile contains a sample letter that he uses to contact park officials. I use my own language but start much the same way to explain the program, the involvement of similar parks or agencies, and what I am seeking to do.

Edited by mulvaney

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is because no one has taken the time to create them or if permission is impossible to get.

A couple of years ago I wondered the same thing before going to the Grand Canyon. I contacted geoaware and he knew of no problems with the Park. So I decided to try. It took awhile because they were not familiar with earthcaching and my contact wanted to be sure they were doing it right. I was asked a few questions - like the relationship of earthcaches to the existing virtuals - and the proposal was reviewed by several park staff members. But I can only repeat the advice I was given: try it and see what happens.

Edited by mulvaney

That's what I did with Olympic National Park, I went to the website and found the contact information. Then I sent out an email. I had to wait a few weeks and then I got an email back waiting for some kind of form. Then I filled out the form, waited a few weeks and then got a response. It took a while but everyone was at least pleasant, if slow. I just thought that I remembered someone saying that getting approval in Glacier was impossible. Maybe I just am not remembering right. I will probably just scout out a couple of sites this summer and give it a try. I sure hope that I don't need to wait 2 years though! That's an impressive amount of patience!

It wouldn't hurt to contact the park well in advance of your visit to see if they are at least okay with the idea of having ECs there.

As with any large agency, it can take awhile to get a direct response, so my advice is to start early. Don't expect to get any kind of "blanket" approvals, but do feel them out to see where they might find ECs most appropriate. If you get an initial green-light, you can even begin a general write-up/outline before going to GLAC.

One course of action might be to try to contact someone at the Park with "Education" in their title. They might be a good advocate for ECs, since they are all about education anyway.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the park well in advance of your visit to see if they are at least okay with the idea of having ECs there.

As with any large agency, it can take awhile to get a direct response, so my advice is to start early. Don't expect to get any kind of "blanket" approvals, but do feel them out to see where they might find ECs most appropriate. If you get an initial green-light, you can even begin a general write-up/outline before going to GLAC.

One course of action might be to try to contact someone at the Park with "Education" in their title. They might be a good advocate for ECs, since they are all about education anyway.

Thank you for the advice. I will put together something soon.