What is your *favorite* 5-Terrain cache?

Off topic I apologize.

Is that an alien in the water next to the cache? Check out the satellite image!

Not sure what you're seeing there :laughing: all I see is the lighthouse to the left (not in the water) and then a small cloud plus its shadow to the right.

Okay. Since I'd said that I had found one that I considered to be properly rated at 5 stars for terrain, here it is:

GC65B3

My sister and I were hiking the Presi Traverse. 24 miles, 9000 feet of climb. Took us four days. This was Day 2. Also available from the top of Mount Washington. 1.4 miles bouldering, 1200' elevation change. As far as I'm concerned, that's a 5 star terrain. (Also the hike that convinced me to stop hiking the AT, after ten years of section hiking over half of the AT.)

While this one was challenging, with what felt like a hundred or so river obstructions that had to be gone over, under or around whilst I was out of my kayak, floating in pitch black water, surrounded by baby gators, (where's Momma?), I think it was only the boat requirement that made it a 5. I had the find in less than 8 hours. Seventeen Runs Definitely an awesome paddle, along a pristine piece of Florida. Well worth the drive.

Of the 19 5 terrain caches that I have found, the mystery cache called "Ten Star Turtle" has to be the favorite. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=84935deb-5353-4f61-88b7-6c6af1ba72af

Most of the other 5 terrains required a boat of some type or a cross country trek when a boat was supposedly required.

The Ten Star Turtle starts off with a wicked puzzle to find a micro hidden in a wall. The 5 terrain part requires learning how to tie a rope to a harness that you are wearing and climbing a vertical rock climbing wall with a spotter holding the rope to keep you from falling too far.

You get a code word at the top of the wall that leads to the next to last stage which is a micro hidden in a tree which has the final coords. Most of the 5 terrain caches that I found were in 2006 when I was participating in "Counting Counties in Oregon" which required finding the highest D+T cache in each of the 36 counties in Oregon. Final total 302.5 for 36 caches.

GC21WMG

is a good one. The difficulty is only 1 because it's visible from quite a distance, but it's on the bottom of an abandoned bridge, so it's very difficult to get to. It's beyond the range of a ladder, so it requires a rope and harness to get to it.

Thanks for posting. This led to quite an adventure (actually two!). Looking back you said in your post that it's "on the bottom" and several logs on the cache page also make that abundantly clear. Still, seeing one image from a DNF log had us looking up instead of down on our first trip. It took two 300+ mile round trips before we got to use our pen, but wow what a time we had. The trip also targeted another nearby cache, but we wouldn't have known about it if not for this post. Thanks again.

GC1812Z

It's the only 5 terrain cache that I've had the pleasure of finding so far. It was quite an adventure for a group of fairly new cachers. We had gotten climbing harnesses and borrowed a bag of rescue climbing gear. Let's just say it was a very ambitious (possibly stupid) arrangement. It also started the addiction of buying up climbing equipment to go tackle more 5/5 climbing caches in the near future. If you'll read the logs, we climbed using prussik knots and a dynamic rope which was um...interesting. We've since revisited one of the stages of this cache to practice setting a line and climbing using RADS - Petzl Grigri, ascender, etrier, static rope. Sure beats ascending with prussiks!