Commercial cache guideline

Zilvervloot

I have to know. If this shop caters specifically to 'ultra-marathoners,' what could they possibly sell?

I'd understand if they catered specifically to high level athletes/runners, but what specific equipment would an 'ultra-marathoner' need, that somebody who frequently participates in local fun runs wouldn't? And how is there so much equipment that a speciality store like this could possibly stay in business?

Generally, it is gear that allows one to run 24 to 48 hours in the mountains at one time. Special running shoes, calf sleeves, cold weather gear, videos on ultramarathoning, books on trauining, one-on-one coaching, photography services, etc. I think they are able to stay in business because there are a lot of ultramarathoners in northern California (that is where the 100 mile trail run in the USA started) but hardly any of them are also geocachers...I believe this is true based upon polls I have taken and interactions with other ultramarathoners. I am happy to hear from other ultramarathoners here.

Cool! Sounds like a pretty intense sport.

I have to know. If this shop caters specifically to 'ultra-marathoners,' what could they possibly sell?

I'd understand if they catered specifically to high level athletes/runners, but what specific equipment would an 'ultra-marathoner' need, that somebody who frequently participates in local fun runs wouldn't? And how is there so much equipment that a speciality store like this could possibly stay in business?

This has been puzzling me as well.

I'd also like to know how this individual - who claims that the cache isn't there to advertise - knows with certainty that the intersection between ultramarathoners and geocachers comes to a worldwide total of three.

Read my other post. I am an ultramarathoner, quite an active one. I know the very limited circle of other members. The cross-over between geocaching and ultramarathoners is minimal at best. In fact most ultramarathoners see geocachers as Dungeon and Dragon geeks....this was one of my attempts to change that perception. And since you ask, gather 100 of your geocaching friends and send them into an ultramarathoning store...how many do you think would see something they would want to buy? That is why your unfounded, false, insulting and outright defamatory statement that I somehow conspired with a friend has no basis in fact or realty...but don't let that stop you from making up lies.

Make up your mind...did I follow the guidelines or did I not? Am I mad because I was seeking spoeacial treatment (as your wife claims) or because I feel GS did not follow their own posted guidelines?

My mind is made up.

Your cache was in violation of the Commercial Caches guideline, because it requires cachers to go into the business to find the cache.

You were seeking special treatment, and are wrong to be upset with the fact that Groundspeak chose to uphold one of their more important guidelines. You were well within your rights to appeal the decision, but you did not argue your case well enough.

"Something tells me you didn't read what you write about. How many times did I complain about that blinkie?"

In posts #27, 29, and 33.

" Who has the issue?"

You apperently, otherwise why would you bring it up and keep up with it for this long?

"They state they are "presumptions" only and can be overcome. And they claim exceptions can be requested."

Yes, and where does it say that every appeal will be granted. If theres a good reason to make an exception, then Im sure they will. One of my caches has an exception to one of the guidelines after one of my area reviewers decided to ask others what their take on it would be, so I know first hand it can and does happen.

I also find it interesting that you completely didnt answer why if nano caches are so boring why you were complaining about it on here.

Read everything I wrote - my complaint was the family theme ammo that we planted that was excluded (IMHO) from the appeal process. The blinkie was irritating but not even close to what these posts are about.

Make up your mind...did I follow the guidelines or did I not? Am I mad because I was seeking spoeacial treatment (as your wife claims) or because I feel GS did not follow their own posted guidelines?

Your cache violated the guidelines from the start, and the reviewer explained exactly why.

You asked for exception, but failed to demonstrate why it should be granted.

Now you're angry that Groundspeak didn't give you special treatment even though you have utterly failed to demonstrate why your cache should be given an exception to the guideline.

You seem to think that the mere fact of your appeal entitles you to special treatment. It does not.

Groundspeak's guidelines in no way guarantee that you will receive an exception every time you make an appeal.

The fact that your appeal was not granted does not indicate that Groundspeak is in any way unfair, or that the appeals process serves no function. You are only a single data point.

"Read everything I wrote - my complaint was the family theme ammo that we planted that was excluded (IMHO) from the appeal process. The blinkie was irritating but not even close to what these posts are about"

I have read everything, and once you were going full force into why its so unfair your cache wasnt granted an exception to the rules, you started dumping out everything that Groundspeak has done to you that made you made, including the fact they wouldnt let you hide a cache within .1 miles. So much so you even went into this big long background story about it.

So why were you mad that they didnt apporve your cache that was too close to another one that you say is boring? Even caches I have found that I think are boring I their CO's thought they were.

My mind is made up.

Your cache was in violation of the Commercial Caches guideline, because it requires cachers to go into the business to find the cache.

You were seeking special treatment, and are wrong to be upset with the fact that Groundspeak chose to uphold one of their more important guidelines. You were well within your rights to appeal the decision, but you did not argue your case well enough.

Except for alleging I want special treatment, that was the most fair post so far. Yes, the cache was technically in violation of the rule, I never disagreed (although I do have a problem with other more blatant caches being published). Yes, I did follow the procedure and I did appeal. I am upset that the appeal was denied....but not somuch it was denied, but because it was denied based upon the very grounds that allowed for the appeal. In my mind the appeal processs does not exist. I have stated (maybe 10 posts earlier) that this was our opinion and if others were OK with it, fine. But your wife kept attacking me because I didn't agree wither her opinion. She accused me of ignoring published rules...yet her own caching history shows she can't abide by them for 10 out of only 18 of her own caches.

Maybe you are right, maybe I did not argue my case strong enough. I will go back and look at that.

And now for some quotes from the Forum Guidelines:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

6. Private discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, we ask that you please use the Private Message feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general geocaching community.

Closing thread. Don't open another one on this particular subject.