Bug Hotels, should I?

Eric K

I have a road trip coming up with a lot of driving.

I was thinking of setting up some Bug Hotels if I come across Rest Areas that have say a small hike with a Scenic View etc.

I figure being on Interstate Rest areas maybe these could help Bugs on their journeys.

My main concern is since I wouldn't be able to maintain them I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to adopt them after I set some up.

Do you think this would be a good idea or a bad idea?

Thanks,

Eric

I know that most Bug Hotels are caches placed in easy to get to places on highly traveled routes, to aid travelers to move quickly.

I decided to take a different spin on the idea and put hotels within all my caches. All they are are seperate baggies, just for bugs. They are labeled with the travel bug icon and the wording "Travel Bug Hotel, if dropping of a bug, place in here". I also put a label on there warning other cachers that these are not normal trade items and that instructions must be followed if taken. My hope is that this will help bug that land in my caches have a chance for more successful grabbing and moving.

Whether or not they will pan out to be successful at that is yet to be seen, all my caches are new. But the hotels have seen several bugs move in and out of them since they have been placed. Not sure if it is a coincidence or if travel bug movers purposely choose my caches because of this feature.

Anyway, just another idea for hotels.

I have a related question. With security and private property being issues it would have to be off airport property. How far away from an airport would be too far?

Would you be willing to take a cab/bus to a cache? Or would it have to be something within walking distance??

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Here are my thoughts on this since I may start one. I would think that someone connecting from flight to flight wouldn't go after the bug off airport grounds. To me it would be too difficult. Take a bus, taxi, whatever to go and get a bug! My guess is it would be someone who landed at the airport and was in on vacation or business and you could place the cache within a few miles from the airport. This would allow the person to stop on the way in or out at the cache. Again my thoughts and I could be wrong.....

quote:
Originally posted by mrplug:

The biggest problem I've had is cachers taking a bug without leaving one. If this keeps up, the cache will be empty before long.

In my opinion a "bug hotel" becomes a "bug prison" is if there is a requirement for people to only take a bug if they're trading a bug.

I don't think the bug population is big enough to justify it. Maybe someday it will be, maybe not.

I agree that a bug hotel will be empty more often if that isn't a requirement, but that just makes you wonder which is more important -- the bugs' goals, or the hotel being full?

Personally, I don't want my bugs visiting a hotel if they get "stuck" there. Otherwise, I think hotels are awesome.

Dougc

[This message was edited by dougc on August 04, 2002 at 11:22 PM.]

Not putting "trade" restrictions on the hotels makes a lot of sense. If the concern is keeping stuff in the cache, perhaps the Bug Hotel should be a component of and not the sole reason for the cache. Still sound like a great idea, however! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Not putting "trade" restrictions on the hotels makes a lot of sense. If the concern is keeping stuff in the cache, perhaps the Bug Hotel should be a component of and not the sole reason for the cache. Still sound like a great idea, however! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:

The biggest problem I've had is cachers taking a bug without leaving one. If this keeps up, the cache will be empty before long.

Why do you care? Bugs are for traveling, not sitting in caches! I've got a Travel Bug Depot and I strongly encourage people to take bugs, regardless of whether or not they have one to leave.

In my opinion, bug 'hotels' that require 'bug for bug trades' are more like bug prisions. They do more to handicap the bugs travels than help them. If someone is in a position to help a bug get closer to it's goal, they should do so, regardless of whether or not they have another bug to exchange.

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

I'm planning a bug hotel in a park so close to DFW airport that you can see the people in the tower(well almost).If you make it just a Travel bug hotel and not a cache to I could see where it would get empty.Well mine is going to be a cache/travel bug hotel/where is george trading post.

I would follow my GPS to the gates of Hell if it pointed that way.

Hi, Skydiver.

If there is no trade out rule, the bug cache will eventually go empty and then I will find myself collecting bugs from local caches to replenish my exchange cache. If a visitor stays in the cache too long (say maybe 4 weeks) I will make sure he gets out of there stat! So far there has been good turnover. The only problem has been people taking without leaving. Which would be ok if I didn't want the exchange cache to sustain itself without regular replenishments on my part, but I do.

i think in the airport a small metal box, with a digital display would be nice, to display the number of bugs in the cache. of course so as not to have them crumpled up, keep any wires nice and loose. (not disconnected, just not bundled up) of course it should also be put in a place that is out of the way yet not too hard to find...

seriously though what about a tended cache??? if one of the shops/bars at the airport was willing to keep it behind the counter, the cacher drops the password "travelbug" and the person at the counter coughs it up, or recieves the drop, whichever one. of course you would want to have a more original password, but i think it would add a fun little "james bond" feel to the game.

Nice idea, but how much coffee would they require you to buy at $4 per cup?

I guess the problem is: What's in it for them? The traffic on the bugs would be so low that it would probably not be worth it in their minds. Also, not all of those shops stay open 24/7. Last - it's kinda hard to get a lock inside, although ORD Layover seems to be doing OK. Mind you, it's a virtual.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:

If there is no trade out rule, the bug cache will eventually go empty

Which means all the bugs are busy out traveling the world. I don't see a problem with that.

The cache will replenish itself as people come to put bugs in it. See the logs on my TB Depot. The system works quite well without that rule.

with Skydiver, it looks like his hotel is doing fine without the *bug for a bug* rule. Someone might be forced to pass up an opportunity to help a bug achieve it’s goal, only because they didn’t have a trader. In this case, it looks to me like an empty cache is a successful cache.

We were thinking about a cache close enough to SeaTac that you could walk there if you had a layover of 3 hours or more.

Those are the layovers that really kill us. Not long enough to grab a cab/rental car and see the town but an eternity when you are trying to keep up with a five year old. We were stuck in San Jose airport once for 6+ hours last year, we finally had to find a area where there wern't many people and just let him run around the chairs until he crashed.

A cache like that might be tempting even with the security hassles. Get outside streach the legs, breathe some jet fuel tinted air, get some food that doesn't require morgaging my house to afford.

We need a caching fix so maybe we'll scout the location more this weekend and see if there would even be a good hiding spot nearby.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Well I got my travel bug hotel/cache/where is george trading post all set up.So if there are no bugs people can still log a cache or trade a george dollar.I figured that if I made it 3 things in one then it would get visited more.Being as close to the airport as it will be easy to get to in and out of the metroplex.

quote:
Originally posted by geovamp:

Well I got my travel bug hotel/cache/where is george trading post all set up.So if there are no bugs people can still log a cache or trade a george dollar.I figured that if I made it 3 things in one then it would get visited more.Being as close to the airport as it will be easy to get to in and out of the metroplex.

So, where is this Hotel? Did I miss something? I travel much between/through DFW, LAX, EWR, JFK, PHL, SEA-TAC...

It is a real shame those electronic lockers are no longer in service, if not removed. Would have been an answer to this dilemma. Maybe I could ask around for volunteers to help us.

quote:

There are several "bug hotels" that I've found around the world. I even started one near the Atlanta Airport: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25861

I frequently travel far and wide out of ATL, and was hoping to use the depot to helps some bugs along. If I can conceivably help a bug along it's mission, it seems wrong not to do so whether or not I have a bug to leave. And if I do have a bug in my possession and my travels are going to help it along too, leaving in exchange also seems the wrong thing to do. I've got a European trip coming soon that could be very good for some bug. Would bringing a bug back on the return be acceptable?

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

quote:

If there is no trade out rule, the bug cache will eventually go empty

Which means all the bugs are busy out traveling the world. I don't see a problem with that.

The cache will replenish itself as people come to put bugs in it. See the logs on my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=21988. The system works quite well without that rule.

Skidiver,

According to your logs, you have visited your cache 5 times to drop off bugs. If you were not making these replenishment visits to your Bug Hotel, would it stay empty most of the time? I agree your system works, but only if there is someone available to regularly drop bugs into your cache.

If that's what you want to do that is fine. But I really do not want to make regular visits to my bug exchange cache to make sure there are travelers available, hence I have a trade out rule. As far as a bug getting stuck in the cache, up to now no bug has stayed in the cache for more than 2 weeks or so, fairly good turnover in my opinion. And if someone wants to take a bug for a trip and then drop the replacement bug in when they return, that is fine too.

In spite of the trade rule, people sometimes take a bug without leaving one. There's nothing I can do to stop it, and I would never try to make them put it back....hehehehee. Enough people drop off without picking up that it all evens out in the long run.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

I was thinking of setting up some Bug Hotels if I come across Rest Areas that have say a small hike with a Scenic View etc.

I figure being on Interstate Rest areas maybe these could help Bugs on their journeys.

Do you think this would be a good idea or a bad idea?

Thanks,

Eric

Avoid Northeast highway rest area! Esp. Massachusetts, unless you are on the mass pike, the rest areas are notorious for illicit activities. I don't even like stopping at some in broad daylight!

Well I got GV's travel bug hotel and cache up and running on Friday.It started off with 4 travel bugs and there is only 1 left but I got a e-mail from a cacher saying there droping off 2 this week.Every body who has visited it says it's great,that makes me feel more at ease.

The fact that a Bug Transfer spot has no more Bugs in it only means that there's room for some more bugs. I know in this area, people hunt for caches that have bugs, just to get involved in the bug's life. A sure thing to get a cache seen is to add a bug right away.

We have two transfer caches in the area. One along the Interstate and another by the airport. I know that if I ever decide to take a resting bug, I'll send it away using one of those two caches. I'm sure that holds for many other geocachers.

Bugs sometimes need to be put down when they're useful lives are finished. Stay tuned. It may even have a Stephen King theme to it or since I'm in Baltimore it may have an Edgar Allen Poe theme or be located near his grave. As for bug-only caches, I don't understand. A cache is a cache or at least should be.

quote:

According to your logs, you have visited your cache 5 times to drop off bugs. If you were not making these replenishment visits to your Bug Hotel, would it stay empty most of the time? I agree your system works, but only if there is someone available to regularly drop bugs into your cache.

The visits I've made to the cache to put bugs in it have been the same as ANY geocacher visiting the cache to put bugs in it. I'm not going to replenish bugs because the cache is empty. I'm going because I have a bug that needs to go somewhere far away, and that cache is THE place to put bugs to get the boost they need.

As the cache page says, the goal of the cache is to usually be empty, so why would I be making special trips to replenish bugs? I honestly don't care if the cache is empty, and apparently neigher do any of the people who've visited it. What we do all are about, is that bugs keep moving toward their respective goals.

And just to make one final underscore of my point, Freefall Freddy was picked up by someone who didn't have a bug to leave in exchange. However, they took Freddy all the way to Illinois, and created a cache specifically with him in mind right next to the 2002 Word Free Fall Convention so he could reach his goal faster (which he did yesterday). What if I'd had that exchange rule??? This person would likely not have taken the bug, despite the fact that they were in an excellent position to help the bug out.

Hey, Skidiver.

I think we have a difference of opinion here. It has to be the first time that has ever happened on the geocaching forums!!

Cain't we all just get along? trade rulers and non-trade rulers, garminers and magellaners, virgins and non-virgins?

quote:

I think we have a difference of opinion here.

Yes, I think you do. And yes, I think we can all get along. What you do with your cache is your business, of course, as long as it's legal.

I happen to agree with Skydiver, mostly because he cares more about the bugs than he does about his cache. He created a cache that will help the bugs, and I don't think he believes that bugs were created to help his cache. It's just a matter of perspective.

I'm still a newbie (but not a rookie...) but if one of my bugs were to get trapped in a bug prison because people didn't have a bug to trade, then I would be sad for my poor bug. However, you also state that the bugs move quickly through your cache despite the trade rule. If that is true, then I don't really see a problem.

Dougc

The Bug caches are beter placed where the traveler will have time to spend l icon_rolleyes.gifking for them. A "Bug Motel" is beter off being near a motel/hotel where a traveler from a local airport would stay. In chicago we have one near a route that is next to a hotel, a major theater and on the way to the airport. (see Drury Lane Theatre ) This makes it more universal. The busy traveler will have time to access it without missing a flight. The locals will also have access to it. This works out better for everyone involved, and will keep the bug moving in the right direction. icon_smile.gif

As for requireing your visiters to place a bug if they take a bug. This is just wrong! icon_mad.gif What if I don't have a bug, but the one in your cache is going to the same place I am going to tomorrow? icon_confused.gif There should be a rule aginst that kind of thing.

The Bug caches are beter placed where the traveler will have time to spend l icon_rolleyes.gifking for them. A "Bug Motel" is beter off being near a motel/hotel where a traveler from a local airport would stay. In chicago we have one near a route that is next to a hotel, a major theater and on the way to the airport. (see Drury Lane Theatre ) This makes it more universal. The busy traveler will have time to access it without missing a flight. The locals will also have access to it. This works out better for everyone involved, and will keep the bug moving in the right direction. icon_smile.gif

As for requireing your visiters to place a bug if they take a bug. This is just wrong! icon_mad.gif What if I don't have a bug, but the one in your cache is going to the same place I am going to tomorrow? icon_confused.gif There should be a rule aginst that kind of thing.

Well this how I see it in the human view point we cacher are like a taxi for travel bugs.We drop by a hotel see if there are any bugs in need of a ride .If not than we go to the next stop,just because we don't pick up any travlers don't mean it's not a hotel.That's reason you make it a cache to.

It's simple - any cache can be a "bug hotel", but some cache locations may be very convenient for moving bugs from place to place.

I visited geovamp's bug hotel by DFW today and picked up two bugs that I'll be able to help with. One wants to go to Egypt, so I'm going to drop it in New York City, where it stands a better chance of hitching a ride to Egypt than Dallas. The other just wants to rack up miles, so I'll be helping with that, as well.

If there are bugs in a cache you are planning to visit, see if you can help their goal. If you can, pick them up. If you can't, leave them there.

If a cache is in a convenient spot for moving bugs (the middle of the woods 25 miles from an airport is NOT as convenient as in a major airport itself), then the owner should feel free to advertise it as a "bug hotel", right?

What's all the controversy about? This is supposed to be FUN, right? :-)

EDR