How do i download all caches that i can see within the map?

Torcrayth

Hi,

Just getting into this so apologies if this is a dumb question.

Basically i live right on the edge of The New Forest in Southern England and we have decided to take up Geocaching as a weekend activity with where we can take the kids out and enjoy the various aspects that this all offers.

Therefore i was wondering if there was a way of downloading into my Garmin 450T all the caches that appear within an area defined by where i have centered the map on, as basically i DON'T want to download all the caches that appear in other areas at this time (such as Southampton).

Is this possible??

D

Hi,

Just getting into this so apologies if this is a dumb question.

Basically i live right on the edge of The New Forest in Southern England and we have decided to take up Geocaching as a weekend activity with where we can take the kids out and enjoy the various aspects that this all offers.

Therefore i was wondering if there was a way of downloading into my Garmin 450T all the caches that appear within an area defined by where i have centered the map on, as basically i DON'T want to download all the caches that appear in other areas at this time (such as Southampton).

Is this possible??

D

Go here to run a pocket query: http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx

Go here to learn how to do it: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

It's pretty simple, but from what I've read, some have had trouble with it. Just today, I created a query and downloaded the closest 1000 caches to my home, confining it to a 40 mile max distance. You can download the results immediately and they will also be e-mailed to you.

There are all kinds of other constraints that you can put on your query too. Just experiment to get exactly what you want... but be aware that you are limited, I believe to 6 per day. Correct, more seasoned cachers???

Hope that helps!

Happy Hunting.

See above, but note that a PQ won't give you exactly the caches you see on the map, as there's no way to do that.

To clarify dfx's comment, this is because the map is a square view, and the PQ results are based on a circle with a given radius.

So within the area of overlap of the circle and the square they will give the same results, but you'll get variation at the edges depending on the exact PQ criteria you used.

See above, but note that a PQ won't give you exactly the caches you see on the map, as there's no way to do that.

Well, I believe there is, actually. Using a GSAK macro you can outline a space (like a park) and get all the caches within that space.

I must say that I THINK this is possible, but I've tried and haven't been able to do it successfully. But then, it took me several months to finally get the Garmin Nuvi macro to work.

I expect someone will come along soon and tell you how to do it!

All,

Thanks for your posts as one way or another i have managed to set up 3PQ's to cover the areas of interest at this time which should run tomorrow and hopefully I'll get the files by email ready to put into my 450T.

Now, time to start looking at how to transfer found caches back to the website!! :-)

D