$45 GPS?

Very tight budget. I sold a few gift cards on ebay and have $45 in my paypal account. I think i will hold out till i can afford a better one. Was looking into a Magellan toughcase for my iphone but if I by it used im sure i will never be able to get the update to allow geocaching seeing as you have to ship it back to them. I may go with the bad-elf gps for the iphone. It's $99 on amazon and it has good reviews but i will need to wait. Using the 3gs's gps really makes me mad when i can never get close to GZ cause it jumps even with open sky.

Very tight budget. I sold a few gift cards on ebay and have $45 in my paypal account. I think i will hold out till i can afford a better one. Was looking into a Magellan toughcase for my iphone but if I by it used im sure i will never be able to get the update to allow geocaching seeing as you have to ship it back to them. I may go with the bad-elf gps for the iphone. It's $99 on amazon and it has good reviews but i will need to wait. Using the 3gs's gps really makes me mad when i can never get close to GZ cause it jumps even with open sky.

just want to help... i have a senario you might want to consider.. i use my iphone as well.. i was like you.. ready to pull my hair out and was not having fun.. because the geocaching app for 9.99 was awsome.. it gives all the information you could want except it killed my battery.. i had to plug it in the car after every cache.. i have a magellan explorist 300.. it has been dead on for me.. i love it.. but i wanted to be paperless.. well sitting here on the couch playing around with my iphone i found a way to turn off the gps.. but still retain my top 10 searches with all there info... so long story short you can pick up an explorist 100, 200, 0r possible a 300 for under your budget..and i think you will have a combo that might bring you great joy. let me know if i can help more... shoot me and e-mail .. just my .02..

curtis

Edited by okietreefroggang

These add on cases do help to improve sensitivity a bit but are slow to update. They don't do much to improve caching but will help if your using your phone for street navigation. So be sure you check all the reviews on the item before you buy. That money would be better spent on a basic Hand held GPSr then use the iPhone to stay paperless.

That money would be better spent on a basic Hand held

Agree. The Bad Elf GPS is admittedly VERY interesting, but ...

For $99 ypu're already more than halfway to the price of a good dedicated GPS that will do a better job at geocaching, be more rugged and weatherproof, have longer battery life, etc...

I bought a Magellan eTrex Legend on eBay for $41 (including shipping). Since it is designed for a serial port, I did buy a cable from Amazon for $12 to convert serial to USB. This GPS may not have the newest bells and whistles, but it is a tough little unit and is getting the job done quite well. (Magellan sells a conversion cable, but they wanted about $90 for it, so I kept looking until I found the Amazon listing.)

I bought a Magellan eTrex Legend on eBay for $41 (including shipping)

That's an amazing bargain for such a rare model!

:D

Rare Model? I have one as my backup, my buddy uses it for his main, Few others around here I know of. I think the rarety is more no one wants to get rid of them.... they may not have the bells and whistles, but show me another GPS that will last around 2 days on a set of batteries!

I bought a Magellan eTrex Legend on eBay for $41 (including shipping)
That's an amazing bargain for such a rare model! :D
Rare Model? I have one as my backup, my buddy uses it for his main, Few others around here I know of.

Really? I'll give you a Ford Camaro for every genuine Magellan eTrex Legend you can deliver. :D

Edited by Portland Cyclist