Garmin 62s - Calendar problems

eastriver

The Calendar in my 62s no longer works correctly, and its obviously my fault, but i can't seem to correct it. Hoping someone has a suggestion for me to try.

Here's what happened. It was my routine to print out the Found Caches as shown in the E:\Garmin\geocache_visits.(Notepad). These i would give to those i had done a bunch of caches with (who didn't have a GPS with the capability to show Found Caches).This worked great, even used them myself for logging. The file kept getting bigger and bigger so that finally i went in and deleted previous caches from the file and would then only get a 1 page printout. The problem was it affected my Calendar so that now no caches show there. I have tried several times to correct this but nothing seems to work. Or maybe I'm missing a file. Not sure. Done some playing around in there and may have inadvertently deleted a necessary file. Any found Caches when logged will still show in the above file ok, just not on the Calendar.

Here's what happened. It was my routine to print out the Found Caches as shown in the E:\Garmin\geocache_visits.(Notepad). These i would give to those i had done a bunch of caches with (who didn't have a GPS with the capability to show Found Caches).This worked great, even used them myself for logging.

I can understand the idea of giving a printout to your fellow cachers, but if you upload the geocache_visits text file to the Geocaching website, it makes life easier for you to log your finds, and the field notes you enter on site will help to jog your memory and you can expand the text to write whatever you like when you get home. To upload your field notes, follow the instructions from the right hand column on your webpage: 'Field Notes: Access Your Field Notes for supported GPS devices and applications.'

The file kept getting bigger and bigger so that finally i went in and deleted previous caches from the file and would then only get a 1 page printout. The problem was it affected my Calendar so that now no caches show there. I have tried several times to correct this but nothing seems to work. Or maybe I'm missing a file. Not sure. Done some playing around in there and may have inadvertently deleted a necessary file. Any found Caches when logged will still show in the above file ok, just not on the Calendar.

I have noticed this myself and have come to the conclusion that if you leave the unedited geocache_visits text file on your GPS, the Calandar will show the visits on the correct day.... but as soon as you delete or edit the geocache_visits text file, the Calandar no longer shows the info. The Calandar uses the info in this file to display the relevany info, without it it doesnt know what to display. To me this makes the Calandar function useless, as I always delete the geocache_visits text file after each trip. One way that may help you is to leave the original geocache_visits text file on your GPS, let it build up your history ( I think there is a limit, but from what I can remember reading somewhere, it can hold a very large number of visits )..... make a copy of the file onto your PC and edit the PC version and then print ( or email ) this for your fellow cachers...maybe this would help you?

Here's what happened. It was my routine to print out the Found Caches as shown in the E:\Garmin\geocache_visits.(Notepad). These i would give to those i had done a bunch of caches with (who didn't have a GPS with the capability to show Found Caches).This worked great, even used them myself for logging.

I can understand the idea of giving a printout to your fellow cachers, but if you upload the geocache_visits text file to the Geocaching website, it makes life easier for you to log your finds, and the field notes you enter on site will help to jog your memory and you can expand the text to write whatever you like when you get home. To upload your field notes, follow the instructions from the right hand column on your webpage: 'Field Notes: Access Your Field Notes for supported GPS devices and applications.'

The file kept getting bigger and bigger so that finally i went in and deleted previous caches from the file and would then only get a 1 page printout. The problem was it affected my Calendar so that now no caches show there. I have tried several times to correct this but nothing seems to work. Or maybe I'm missing a file. Not sure. Done some playing around in there and may have inadvertently deleted a necessary file. Any found Caches when logged will still show in the above file ok, just not on the Calendar.

I have noticed this myself and have come to the conclusion that if you leave the unedited geocache_visits text file on your GPS, the Calandar will show the visits on the correct day.... but as soon as you delete or edit the geocache_visits text file, the Calandar no longer shows the info. The Calandar uses the info in this file to display the relevany info, without it it doesnt know what to display. To me this makes the Calandar function useless, as I always delete the geocache_visits text file after each trip. One way that may help you is to leave the original geocache_visits text file on your GPS, let it build up your history ( I think there is a limit, but from what I can remember reading somewhere, it can hold a very large number of visits )..... make a copy of the file onto your PC and edit the PC version and then print ( or email ) this for your fellow cachers...maybe this would help you?

I guess i will just have to let the "history" build up and see if it begins to accept the new data in to the Calendar. The Calendar function is not all that important to me, but i have refered to it from time to time and would like to have it working. Will get bored someday and send an e-mail off to garmin to see if they have any ideas. Tnx for the reply.

I guess i will just have to let the "history" build up and see if it begins to accept the new data in to the Calendar. The Calendar function is not all that important to me, but i have refered to it from time to time and would like to have it working. Will get bored someday and send an e-mail off to garmin to see if they have any ideas. Tnx for the reply.

Strangely I've just noticed the same problem. I use the field notes so it is not a big deal but I like the idea of the Calendar for the occasional reference out in the field. Yesterday the first two caches I found went into the calendar and the rest did not. I have no idea what makes those two caches different than the rest. If anyone has found a good solution to this I wold like to hear it. Oh and I've not delete the geocaches history file but havn't used this GPS that long so the file had a history but not a long one built up. There were maybe 50 caches or so in it.

Maybe I am missing something, why do you keep the geocache_visits.txt file on your GPS after you log them?

What we do when caching in groups is the one or two that do not have GPSr's that create the geocache_visits.txt, we simply send them a copy then they upload it to field notes and do their logging.

Once they have been logged, we delete geocache_visits.txt, as we do all the GPX files and get the GPSr ready for a fresh upload. I guess you could save the file on the PC if you really wanted to.

Maybe I am missing something, why do you keep the geocache_visits.txt file on your GPS after you log them?

What we do when caching in groups is the one or two that do not have GPSr's that create the geocache_visits.txt, we simply send them a copy then they upload it to field notes and do their logging.

Once they have been logged, we delete geocache_visits.txt, as we do all the GPX files and get the GPSr ready for a fresh upload. I guess you could save the file on the PC if you really wanted to.

I don't keep that file after uploading it. The field notes function works very well. My post was about the calendar function as it stopped recording entries this weekend. I found 16 on Saturday and the calendar showed 2. The field notes were correct. Why would I want to look at the calendar? Occasionally it is handy to be able to see the list of finds while out in the field. Usually it is because somebody else wants to confirm something on their GPS but the reasons vary. There are other ways to check finds but the calendar was always a good method to do so. Regardless of the reasons for accessing it, the finds should show up on the calendar but they stopped after two. I don't know the significance of the two but that is all it showed. When a function is not working correctly it gives one reason to be concerned about corrupted software or firmware.

On the following Sunday I reloaded the GPS and deleted the field notes file. I then entered three test finds and they did show up on the calendar. I'll keep checking it for consistency as I still don't know why it failed to show the full 16 that I found on Saturday. If the calendar uses the same data file as the field notes, but produces different results, there must be something wrong.