COINTEST: What the Heck! COINTEST!

avroair

1. when, where and what geocoin did you see first?

March 24, 2008 - found it in the final of one of the best multi-caches I've ever done - USA Geocoin

2. when and what geocoin did you first buy?

June 2008 - Beach Ball Micro ($9.99 on ebay I think) - set it free and it disappeared :( Would LOVE to replace it.

3. when did you make your first personal coin? N/A if you haven't yet, why not?

I haven't...no excuse...just very unsure of how and what to do, so I haven't

4. when and what did you trade your first geocoin?

Last August - traded my Elements Compass Air for Vanelle's personal :)

5. did you find the forums first or a geocoin first?

Found the coin first, then the forums

Thanks for the cointest and the trip down memory lane! I saw that coin, found the forums and it's been a slippery slope ever since....

I found Dead Men Tell No Tales on March 5th, 2009 in "Brea Sports Park" and I placed it in "North-South" three days later.

I bought GeoWoodstock VIII Cachekinz - Salmon to support GeoWoodstock VIII in late April of 2010. It has traveled about 1700 miles from Cali but has now gone missing. <_<

I have yet to make my own personal coin first because I have a username shockingly :rolleyes: similar to another user who made A LOT of personal geocoins and also I have just been too busy to actually draw out my ideas, I should get on that, hahaha.

I have yet to trade any geocoins, I haven't had mine for all that long, so maybe after I feel I'm getting tired of them I'll trade it. (Don't think that's gonne happen anytime soon!)

I found a geocoin first! Haha, I would say it was about bang-bang-close though. :laughing:

Edited by tommytrojan360

When I found my first cache, on Jan 1 2007, there was a Finland geocoin in there (although I had no idea of what it was, why it was there, so left it untouched)

If I remember well, I bought a Pirates of the Chesapeake, because I had seen one and I HAD to have one like that. At about the same time, I also bought a Portugal 2006 geocoin.

Did not make any. It's costly, and I doubt I could design something that would raise interest, so that I could recover part of the investment by selling some coins.

I really don't remember... I was buying many before I started to trade. I think it may have been a trade to get a Great Texas geocoin (forum trade)

Geocoins. Much before the forums!! :lol:

1. When, where and what geocoin did you see first?

Newfoundland, Cape Spear Lighthouse August 26/08 a coin I bought before finding one. First geocoin found was a Canadian Micro Puck – Shut out on Sept 15/10 on that day I released the Newfoundland coin I had bought.

2. When and what geocoin did you first buy?

Newfoundland, Cape Spear Lighthouse

3. When did you make your first personal coin? N/A if you haven't yet, why not?

First I took part in a couple of group geocoins projects; Inuksuk, 10 Years of Geocaching Multi-Event and the Mini-Doubloons. At first I was intimidated with the designs and designers but that all changed after meeting Chris and ELTADA so now I’ve taken the plunge. My very own personal coin will be made on, hold it there’s a cointest going on about that, sly you are trying to get the date out of me :anitongue::laughing:

4. When and what did you trade your first geocoin?

Feb 15/09 - Math Trade 4; Burgess4, tadpole379 and KDV for a total of 7 coins, a great way to start trading and fun too.

5. Did you find the forums first or a geocoin first?

Forums but I’ll admit to lurking long before you knew I was here :ph34r:

The first geocoin I saw was a USA Geocoin in a cache.

The first one I bought (I think) was a Joy of Geocaching coin back in 2005...why did I buy...I dunno...dragons like the shiny (and there were not many options back then). Shortly after that I got an Arlsdaddy dragon geocoin and I was hooked.

We made our first personal in 2006.

Not 100% sure, but I do know that I received our shipment of coins right before attending our first MWGB in 2006. I remember my trade with the 501_gang...they came up behind me in their vehicle as I was walking to the venue's building...I think they were my first trade...definitely one of my more memorable ones, since it was a drive-by trade.

I found the coins first...then the forums. I will date myself enough to say that there was not a separate geocoin forum when we found the forums...back then the geocoins and TBs shared a forum.

1) The first Geocoins I saw belonged to my first caching partner Temacon, I saw them the first day I started caching I remember one was a "Nurses Have Heart" and another was a Compass Rose.

2) My first purchase was a couple weeks later and I purchased the whole set of "Saving Little Hearts" with the stuffed Raccoon toy all are still in my collection.

3)I am the proud creator of the Medicine Wheel coin created last year and have had my fingers in a few other coin projects as well as working on a coin for my upcoming wedding and a state geocoin.

4)I traded my AE for a piece of Crow art(By Opalsns) made with one of my RE Nickel Medicine Wheels(That has a special place in my collection.)

5) I found a geocoin first, even before I had membership on GC.

The first I saw was a Crikey Fundraiser Geocoin, that I found in a cache.

I bought an Underwater Caching Geocoin off of eBay.

Participated in GeoJellies4 group project. As for my own, I am not artistic, and I think it will be too expensive.

I haven't done very many trades, I usually buy and gift. I did trade one of my geoJellies for a pirate doubloon.

Coins before the forum. I had looked in other areas of the forum before, but they were not very friendly. Eventually I wandered in here, and everyone was nice.

When, where and what geocoin did you see first?

Actually saw/picked up my first two geocoins (and a couple TBs) at our first event we attended. A South Carolina Geocoin and an Oklahoma Geocoin.

When and what geocoin did you first buy?

My wife actually purchased my first geocoin(s) for me for Christmas 2008. The very first was a Geocoinfest 2008 Covered Bridges Geocoin.

When did you make your first personal coin? N/A if you haven't yet, why not?

Haven't yet, but I am getting close. :-) Am working my design out now. May reveal it at GCF US 2011. Not sure yet though.

When and what did you trade your first geocoin?

My first trade was for a United We Cache Geocoin. I traded out a Celtic Moon Geocoin. Haven't traded since. Prefer to keep all those I acquire now.

Did you find the forums first or a geocoin first?

Geocoins were found first. Really like the forums since I found them though. :-)

Thanks for the WTH! Cointest! It made me look back into the memory archives to see how far I have come since May 2008.

Edited by Harwell5

1. when, where and what geocoin did you see first?those canadian coins that were only trackable on their site. first saw them mentioned in the other forums and bought a bunch for swag. in 2002.

Cool, did you activate them? Sadly, mine went missing immediatelya after releasing them.

1. when, where and what geocoin did you see first?those canadian coins that were only trackable on their site. first saw them mentioned in the other forums and bought a bunch for swag. in 2002.

Cool, did you activate them? Sadly, mine went missing immediatelya after releasing them.

Which coins were these?? So... they are non trackable here? I do not know anything about them!

Oh Mark!! You lost 9 immediatelly??? oh!!! :(

Which coins were these?? So... they are non trackable here? I do not know anything about them!

Oh Mark!! You lost 9 immediatelly??? oh!!! :(

Thieving coins is just as old as the coins themselves... In 2003 there were Canada and Texas geocoins what were trackable on their own sites. Oregon wasn't trackable just numbered, and the USA Geocoin was both trackable and had an icon. I found it will searching for caches in my local area and DNFed the fricking cache... I was annoyed, so I came back the next day, and the next and after 4 attempts, 2 sick days off work, 3 clues and 6 hours of searching... I missed out on it! And the cache... I got one in an easy cache after the next drop off.

Back then if a geocoin was put into your cache, the cache was marked as "geocoins have been spotted in this cache"

When, where and what geocoin did you see first?

WDD 2007 Commemorative Geocoin

When and what geocoin did you first buy?

Rainbow Bridge Coin, can't remember exactly when

When did you make your first personal coin? N/A if you haven't yet, why not?

Haven't yet. Can't come up with a single design I like. Too many ideas in my head.

When and what did you trade your first geocoin?

Have never made a trade. Have kept them all. Don't even have a count of how many I have. I measure them in pounds....just shy of 8 pounds and counting.

Did you find the forums first or a geocoin first?

Geocoins first.

Thanks for the CoinTest!! TFTCT!

>> It was November, 2004, in Tucson, AZ. I went for a 7.5 mile trail run to rescue a coin that had been there since the 4th of July. What I found was a USA Geocoin (2004, I suspect, but possibly an '03). All I know is that it was the allure of the icon that got me. And the icon back then wasn't even that interesting. It was just a gold coin that said USA (I think) or maybe just had the "cents" sign on it. But I wanted to see what it was all about.

>> I really had no idea where to buy coins for the LONGEST time. I didn't really start looking to buy until the summer of 2006. And the first one I got was the August '06 GCC "Last Cache of the Day" or some name like that.

>> Haven't done it. I have 1 idea that may be unique enough to do, but I just haven't really got the heart to sink the $ into it. And I'm not really keen on doing a partial deal w/ a company. For me it's kind of "all or nothing", so it's been "nothing".

>> I think it was with Jake of Team AI, but I'm not even sure exactly. I think I traded him for one of the AZ coins, and that was by mail. I later met he and Nero up in Phoenix and did some trading there, too. So that would be my 1st "face-to-face" trades, in case that's a subcategory. :)

>>Finding coins in caches came first by a LONG time. I didn't find the forums until summer '06, or later, after I really started to look to buy coins.

Thanks for the cointest! :D It's been an interesting walk down memory lane for me, and it's been interesting to see what other people found before me!

The first geocoin I saw in person I remember is a Groundspeak Lackeys 2010 Geocoin. The Lackeys sent it to my house.

I never bought a geocoin. The only one I have the lackeys sent it to me.

N/A I just got started.

I never traded.

I found the forums first

Thanks for the cointest

Editing it. Because I can't edit it anymore. :laughing:

1 - My first coin was the World Diabetees Day coin. I will always remember this one, because we had only been caching a week, and had already scheduled a road trip from Mississippi to Texas, and this was my first time planning a 600 mile road trip to also include looking for caches which were close to the highway, my first time setting out to go to a specific cache looking for a coin, the first time I found an ammo can, the first time the cache wasnt on the ground, and the first time someone driving by honked their horn and shouted "keep looking!"

2-First coins: Army coin, EMT coin (both to commemerate what Ive done before), Air Force Coin (commemerate my Dad), Mississippi Geocachers (birthplace of son), Louisianna State coin (first state visited). Couldn't pick just one because each of these were on my first order.

3 - Would you believe I only lasted 1 month? I finished my days off in Mississippi, had a great month caching, and then had to go back to Nigeria, so while I was over, I started working on my first design. Am working with the vendor, and hope to go to samples some time soon.

4 - Whoops, cant say Ive actually traded ......YET :) (Besides, everythig I have is generic, nothing on anyone's trade list).

5 - Ok...Im used to doing everything backwards. I found out about the word "geocaching" when I was in Nigeria, surfing the internet and researching RVs. I still had 2 months left before I could go back to the states, so in the mean time, I was reading everything I could find. All the knowledge books, and as many of the forums as I could. I would say not only did I find the Forums before I found my first coin, I found the Forums before I even set out to look for my first cache.

Wow...writing all of that was a lot of fun! Thanks, appreciate it!

DocWahala

March 11, 2009....Veterinary office I work at.....EUREKA Geocoin.

One of the members of Nikon-ing had found it in a cache. He had brought it in the vet to show another member in Nikon-ing and me! It was so awesome!! I adored it! I now have that coin in my collection :)

May 22, 2009; Cache Wars Geocoin - Ebay, cause I was already and Ebayer.

Have not yet... Indecision on designs, uneducated to what is involved, and partly funds

March 23, 2010: I traded with LadyBee4T. She is so amazing and helpful!!!! :)

I recieved:

Magic 8 Ball -green

Seals of Solomon

Cache Aid kit

Lizardztoadz--toad version

She received:

A Red, purple, blue, and green Celtic Circle of Life

We found a geocoin one our FIRST day of caching!! March 9, 2009 we discovered a BCGA 2008 Geocoin. Still looking for one to add to my collection!! :) So a geocoin came first :)

Thank you so much for the cointest avroair!! Very fun reading everyone's posts and an AMAZING coin!!! Good luck everyone!! :):D

1. The first geocoin I saw had to be one in TeamECCS21's collection. Actually, that was the first 100 or so I saw. I couldn't tell you the exact one!

2. The first geocoin I received was the Groundspeak Lackey 2009 coin by visiting HQ. The first I bought was the GPS Maze - Pacific Science Center one after visiting the event in June 2009.

3. As part of the 2010 Mini-Doubloon project I had my first coin made as part of a group buy. Still looking forward to my first fully-mine coin...when finances permt.

4. Spent a while purchasing coins to build up a collection but my first trade had to be Geowoodstock in Carnation, WA - Robin Hood Special Edition + X-Files coin for a Delorme Eartha 3D coin on the bus to the parking lot.

5. Read a lot of forms first, though I think TeamECCS21 started me down the path :)

- Irwando

Mine would be...

1. A Bad Mojo coin that I picked up in one of the first puzzle caches I did. Probably March or April 2007.

2. 500 Finds Geo Achievement Coin, July 2007.

3. N/A Money, Money, Money!!!

4. May 2010. I hosted the original 10 Years Event, but I didn't have a coin at my event. So I traded a coin I had for a Czech 10 Years Coin.

5. A geocoin for sure. I have lurked in the forums quite a bit and even make a few posts, but I am very new here.

Thanks for the cointest.

1. I think the first geocoin I saw and realized what it was was a Dry Creek geocoin, from the local caching group

2. One of the Dry Creek geocoins was the first one I bought

3. Made my first geocoin, or a "family" geocoin in 2007 when I made one fo the birds of a feather coins

4. Made my first trade with one of the birds geocoins, when I traded with a local cacher who has his own coin

5. Found the coins first and then later the forums

<snip>

<snip>

Ok...Let's see...

1. The first one I held in my hands was a Look Twice coin (yellow, motorcycle). My dad is a cacher, and he had a travel bug and told me about coins, but didn't have any in his possession at the time.

2. I haven't bought any yet. Money is extremely tight for me and my family right now, so my purchases are very limited.

3. I haven't made my first personal yet, but the ideas are definitely percolating!!

4. I offered to trade a duplicate Look Twice coin to someone who was trying to get her hands on one, but she found one before she saw my offer. However, she still decided to send me a bunch of coins to help me get my collection (Thanx OPALSNS!!!) That package included a RiverCacher personal coin.

5. A friend of mine told me about the forums first, and I explored and read and looked at pics, and fell in love with the hobby, and made lots of great friends!

Thanx for the cointest!

First, THANKS for the fun Cointest :anicute:

Second, I'm loving all the stories of how everyone has become addicted :wub:

1. I saw my first coin on the dreaded e-place. It had a motorcycle on it and I HAD to have it even not knowing what "Trackable on Geocaching.com" meant. After my purchase I checked out caching and, well, we know what happens from there!!!

2. Here is part of the Coin's Page (SPECIAL-FX):

"Current GOAL

I got this coin, my first, on 1-6-09. I've decided to activate it so I can take it traveling with me.

About This Item

This coin is from Geocachemates to commemorate Daytona Bike Week. The goal for this coin is to see as much of the world as possible with me.

Then, to go with me to Bike Week.

Edit to add:

The name SPECIAL-FX is to honor my Motorcycle---

a big, red 1986 FXRS-SP (Lowrider Sport)!!!!!!

Tracking History (16702.2mi)" as of today, 2-12-2011, just dipping in all my finds

BTW, haven't made Bike Week, yet!!!

3. I have ideas for a personal coin, but am not working, so I'm dreaming and hoping right now!!!

4. I have been gifted a few coins (MANY thanks to those folks--mystery and warm-hearted alike), but have not made any trades, yet. MINE, ALL MINE!!! Seriously, I have bought some coins, too, but very few extras.

5. My curious little mind found the pretty, shiny things first!!! Squirrel...oh, sorry...now, what...oh, yeah!!!

Although, I am enjoying the forums very much and love all the wonderful people I've "met" here!!!

Theotokos Crown of Thorns Geocoin Jan25,2009 (the first cache I found to)

Groundspeak Cache series Mystery Geocoin, a gift for someone else

Havent made one but want too. Not sure exactly how to get started

4. when and what did you trade your first geocoin?]

Havent made a trade

geocoins

Thanks for the cointest

Cogratulations DresselDragons and thank you Mark for a very interesting cointest, it was most enjoyable reading how everyone got to find about geocoins.

One thing that caught me was the number of cachers who have yet to trade with someone, makes me think about how that could and might be remedied :) Anyone interested? :D

Cogratulations DresselDragons and thank you Mark for a very interesting cointest, it was most enjoyable reading how everyone got to find about geocoins.

One thing that caught me was the number of cachers who have yet to trade with someone, makes me think about how that could and might be remedied :) Anyone interested? :D

Thanks I enjoy cointests that are about the users who enter them, coin related and have a randomness to the winner. I also think more trading needs to occur! But 3 of something you like, one to keep, one to trade and one as a spare! :D

yes, i did activate them. some i just used as swag but others had missions. but i have long forgotten how or where they were activated. i thought it was cool they had these little icons that with some html wizardry could be added to ones profile page. i remember how incensed some people were over on the other forum that i used some as swag because they HAD to be travelers. but i didn't necessarily want to have them all travelers. i wish i had kept at least one of those coins!

I'm glad we can still respond. It took me a while to think about it!

1. when, where and what geocoin did you see first? My very first FTF had a coin in it. It was a bronze Crake Symbology coin.

2. when and what geocoin did you first buy? caching from Dawn until Dusk (copper of course)

3. when did you make your first personal coin? N/A if you haven't yet, why not? 2009

4. when and what did you trade your first geocoin? First trade was in person with TethysC. I traded a Saskatchewan coin for a Coffee cache geocoin

5. did you find the forums first or a geocoin first? Geocoin.

Congrats to the winner :)

Our story:

The first geocoin whe found was a USA geocoin in the cache GCKYYG (cache OOKMEER in Amsterdam) on 02-18-2006

2. when and what geocoin did you first buy? I bought one set of 10 Dutch geocoin 2006 on 09-08-2006... for trading...

Haven't done it yet.

Hope to get this year our personal coin. Stephanie is drawing and it will be a great coin. :D

4. when and what did you trade your first geocoin? My first trade was with EdistoPatto (Pat) a Dutch 2006 geocoin for a great rainforest jewel

I found the geocoins first.