is this going to cost me?

Tina-teaspoon

Most all of the phone Apps require at least a small level of Internet access to get the data for the cache to the phone. Not sure about that model's details.

You may wish to look into a used dedicated GPS for Geocaching. Much more durable and accurate. Check ebay or in the Garage sale portion of these forums.

Is there a Symbian app that can download PQ data, access the GPS function without a data connection, and upload field notes? I've done that with GeoBeagle on my Android phones. I've also done that with the Groundspeak app on my Android phones. But I'm not familiar with Symbian.

hi im new to all of this and still a bit confused. i have a nokia 5800. and dont know if i need to download anything in order to start geocaching. also if i use my gps on my phone does it connect to the internet when i want to use it, if it does its going to cost me a fortune.

any help will be great.

My nokia phone (5800 express music) has two ways of accessing GPS data. One is simply called gps-data and that one doesn't use the net at all, I just pick navigation and enter the coordinates manually. However, there's also some kind of map function that will try to connect me to the net... And yeah, that would cost a fortune.

The gps-data needed me to change around the way it displayed coordinates for it to match the way they're showed at this site but after that it worked just fine. Not the best accuracy, but it works. I just needed to realise that when my phone tells me I've arrived I've usually got another 20 metres or so to ground zero...

hi im new to all of this and still a bit confused. i have a nokia 5800. and dont know if i need to download anything in order to start geocaching. also if i use my gps on my phone does it connect to the internet when i want to use it, if it does its going to cost me a fortune.

any help will be great.

Unlike most phones that require you to pay a subscription fee to access the GPS in them the 5800 should not -- mine does not anyway -- and I use it for caching sometimes...

How I avoid using the cellular based network access is I connect to my WiFi at home and download the maps and cache data I need for the days outing -- I have the paid version of the Geocache Navigator app and I highly recommend you get that as well. It is worth every penny.

Once you have that loaded up you are ready to go -- your phone should not need to access the network and you should not end up using any data time.

Cheers!

Yes but doesn't every hobby? You may eventually want to upgrade to a handheld GPS, maybe a car unti, some better shoes/boots, hiking clothes, gas, lots of gas, swag, etc. I don't know about smart phones nad using them to cache. I'm sure they can be costly over time where a handheld is a one time long term investment.

I am in the UK and have a nokia x6. I downloaded the Viewranger app for roughly £5 from the OVI store (this nokia at least can't use android apps). The phone is brilliant, if the app says the cache is there then it is - ok we have only found 35 caches but it was right every time (each time within a foot and even picked out the right ivy covered tree for us hehe)no matter what the weather. Battery life has also not been an issue so far. Our longest caching day with the app running is 6.5 hours and it didn't lose more than half the charge - no extra charging as we have walked to all our caches so far.

Boss Mum has bought a Garmin Etrex H but we didn't realise it didn't come with a cable to connect it to the pc so that is an added cost (it doesn't take standard usb cables). Once we have that we will be using both as the Garmin is more durable etc but the phone has the net if we need it!