Which premium features do you use/ not use?

lemon16

As was mentioned in the Feedback forum by jo_botmn, "I think a survey of what people want/use in a premium membership would have an interesting distribution."

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1420901-split-premium-memberships-into-3-different-levels?ref=title

So, this thread is being started for that purpose.

========================================

The ones I use are:

- PQ's, about 1 per month

- Favorite votes

- Bookmark lists, especially ignore list

- email notifications

- map filters

- search results sorting

As was mentioned in the Feedback forum by jo_botmn, "I think a survey of what people want/use in a premium membership would have an interesting distribution."

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1420901-split-premium-memberships-into-3-different-levels?ref=title

The ones I use are:

- Favorite votes

- email notifications

- map filters

- search results sorting

I think I use those same ones, but I do use PQs a little more than once a month. Now that my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone is off the air (upgraded to a WP7 phone), I usualy use PQs to get caches into GCzII.

I think we need a compleat list of the PM features so that we can comment on ones we don't use.

Edit: here is the list

- PQ's

- Cache along a route

- Favorite votes

- email notifications

- map filters

- Custom Searches/Results Sorting

- Statistics

I use statistics from mygeocachingprofile.com (using a PQ), not GS, so I guess I don't use that one. Also, so far I have never used cache along a route.

Edited by Andronicus

:grin: Rate Your Favorites

:grin: Maps

:grin: Bookmarks

:grin: Pocket Queries

:grin: Be Instantly Notified of Geocaches

:grin: Caches Along a Route

:grin: Search Result sorting

:sad: Statistics

:sad: PM Caches

:sad: Off-Topic Forum

The only reason Stats gets a :sad: is that I don't really care about stats. Off-topic - I've never understood why I would go to a Geocaching site to talk about something else other than Geocaching. :blink:

Edited by Markwell

I use a bookmark lists, the statistics page, occasional OT forum usage. I have used PQ's two times and with that one time with caches along a route. I have little use for that feature.

Anyhow, with what I use I'll renew my membership this year but unless something better comes up I have a hard time justifying $30/year for a service I hardly use. And regardless of what people say this is a business. They are here to make money. I support them by buying their branded stuff and I don't get the warm fuzzies by donating to a business.

Waymarking Group Management

Waymarking peer review of new categories

Waymarking advanced search capability

Waymarking ignore lists

Waymarking favorites list

Waymark ratings

Waymark GPX files

Waymarker RSS feeds

Up to 10 Waymarking scavenger hunts (Basic members are only allowed 1)

I just mention these here so narcissa will agree with the OP that she shouldn't be charged for something she doesn't use.

We use PQs, bookmark list, notifications, PMO caches, favorites and the OT forum.

It's good to be a Premium Member. :D

Interestingly, PMO caches are not listed as a PM benefit (http://www.geocaching.com/Gift/benefits.aspx). That is a compleatly different topic, but it kind of answers some of the questions in that other thread.

Kinda funny considering only Premium Members can log them.

:grin: Search Result sorting

:sad: Statistics

:sad: PM Caches

:sad: Off-Topic Forum

Pretty much the same with one difference: :sad: Rate Your Favorites.

That's now, who knows what we'll use later.

One thing should also be noted, we do not PAY for the benefits, there kinda gravy for the money we give to support the site. We didn't know about a lot of the benefits until after we signed up for PM.

Edited by baloo&bd

We use PQs, bookmark list, notifications, PMO caches, favorites and the OT forum.

It's good to be a Premium Member. :D

Interestingly, PMO caches are not listed as a PM benefit (http://www.geocaching.com/Gift/benefits.aspx). That is a compleatly different topic, but it kind of answers some of the questions in that other thread.

Kinda funny considering only Premium Members can log them.

Non-premium members can log them. They just can't hop on the site and get the coordinates for them or see the cache pages.

The ones I use are:

- Favorite votes

- email notifications

- map filters

- search results sorting

I don't have a premium account, but my husband does. As a husband/wife we just share the features of his premium account as paying double we think is just plain silly.

We download about 40 PQ's a month. (Out of the possible 150 in a 30 day month). Since we use Garmin GPS's. He downloads them to our GPS.

He has used a few Favorite votes, but not many. Even if I had a premium for the most part I wouldn't use them either unless it was just a really outstanding cache.

Bookmark lists... we don't really see the point. Once we have found a cache its a been there done that kinda thing. We think of bookmarks like the bookmarks in our browser. We allready been there. Why would we need to bookmark it and go back?

Map filters are kida nice. He likes that, & I do wish I had thet when looking at the maps. It would be nice to have a new map filter to "hide" all the caches that are disabled, & one to hide all the PMO caches.

As far as the premium feature for finding PMO caches. With the backdoor feature for logging a PMO, it isn't a big deal to us. Although it is a hassle when I want to view it on my iphone to read the hint, description, etc when we are hunting for a PMO. But then my husband just lets me use his iPhone to read the info as he uses the Garmin GPS to hunt the cache.

If Groundspeak/geocaching.com had a family plan, similar to the way cell phone companies have family plans. ie shared PQ's like having shared minutes etc... then we would have the family plan so I could take advantage of a few of the premium features.

But alas... no family plan membership. Thus no full premium for me.

WNT

I use:

• PQs
  • Caches Along a Route
  • Favorites
  • Bookmark lists (but it's painful)
  • Field Notes (but I have to fix them myself first)
  • My Finds Query
  • Android App
  • Send To GPS

I don't use (or use only rarely):

• Friends
  • Trackables
  • Attributes
  • Souvenirs
  • Off Topic forum
  • Waymarks
  • Notifications
  • PMO caches
  • Twitter/Facebook updates

We do not use the ignore list, caches along a route, or the off topic forum. (Maybe a couple times on that last one, but not regularly.)

We use the heck out of pocket queries and bookmark lists, and use the other premium perks from time to time. And of course we search for premium member only caches.

I can't imagine going out caching and not knowing where all the caches are. To think of spending a day trying to hit all the caches in the area, only to leave some because I hadn't bothered to support Groundspeak is just ridiculous to me.

Yes, if you're not a member, you may be able to log them, but you won't know where they are or be able to view the cache pages to get coordinates, so you'll have to be a leech on someone else's account. Yeah, sounds like integrity to me. Sure.

Likewise, to not be able to view bookmark lists... the game would not be the same. How can I find all the boat caches or night caches??

I LOVE the new favorite feature!! I hope it inspires better caches, now that cachers have something new to work toward. Not just numbers in their hides, but hides that get numbers!!!

Listed in order of important to me.

PMO caches

Off Topic Forum (I go there to laugh)

Bookmark Lists

Pocket Queries

Favorite Lists

Notifications

One thing should also be noted, we do not PAY for the benefits, there kinda gravy for the money we give to support the site.

This is an attitude I don't get or understand.

If this were a hobby site, sure that would be a nice attitude, but its not, its clearly a for profit company that generating revenues in the range of over 3 million per year and claims to have 40 employees.

One thing should also be noted, we do not PAY for the benefits, there kinda gravy for the money we give to support the site.

If this were a hobby site, sure that would be a nice attitude, but its not, its clearly a for profit company that generating revenues in the range of over 3 million per year and claims to have 40 employees.

I get it.

I pay because it costs a lot of money for servers, software, bandwidth and knowledgeable folks to keep it all running. I recognize and understand that. The PM features ARE just gravy.

Wow, I hope your numbers are way off because using those, this is "clearly" a "hobby site". Not sure where you got them and, to be honest, not really any of our business. But for discussion sake, we'll use them.

If each employee averages just $35K a year, and I would hope it is more livable and that there are probably many making much more, with minimal to no benefits that works out to a loaded rate of around $52. Pretty dang low wages and a bargain if you can find talent at that rate.

$37,5000 X 40 = $2,080,000.

This system is not run on used 486's and servers cost pretty good amounts. Not to mention there are licensing, maintenance, off site back-ups, rent, transportation, etc. With those figures you quoted, they would be running at a deficit pretty darn quick.

It is not a hobby site, it is for profit however that does not change my statement. I paid, even requested several times a lifetime membership price, so I would have a site to go to now and in the future where caches would be centrally located for me to access. Would I mumble about PQ's and other features I use going away. Yep, without a doubt and loudly. Would I use the argument I paid for those and as the customer I demand they stay. No way.

You hit the nail on the head. Groundspeak is most definitely a for-profit company and not just in the biz for the "good of the game" or as a magnanimous gesture to the geocaching community. I have been a premium member since 2003 and I don't pretend that it is to "support" the efforts of TPTB. I pay because I want some specific services, namely PQ's and notifications. If the services offered to Premium Members were no different than those offered to everyone else, it is highly doubtful that I would feel inclined to send them money. And I doubt that the majority of PM's would, either. I'm also pretty sure that Groundspeak knows that, too.

To take that attitude that the Premium Member features are not what most are paying for when they subscribe may help a few folks feel good about themselves when they send that payment, but they're really only kidding themselves. Any way you spin it, they're still paying up-front for services rendered, just like most other service businesses. GreyWink.gif

GreySquint.gif

In no particular order:

Premium Features Used

• Pocket Queries
  • Bookmarks
  • Favorites
  • PMO Caches
  • Geocaching maps

Premium Features Not Used

• Statistics
  • Friends
  • Ignore List

Premium Features Rarely/Little Used

• Notifications
  • Caches Along a Route
  • Off Topic

Notifications: I have notifications set for A.P.E. and Locationless caches :anibad:

I used to have them set for events, but the 50 mile limit meant that I had to find another way.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

In approximate order of how much I use/love them:

-Pocket Queries

-Statistics

-Map Filters

-Favorites

-Bookmarks

-Ignore List

-Caches Along A Route

Caches Along A Route is a very useful feature in theory. But it is immensely frustrating with Interstates/freeway travel (lots of access road caches) and really requires heavy user filtering to just get "interesting" caches worth stopping for (when we get Favorites in GPX files it should help this).

It took me awhile to use my Ignore List, but I've finally started recently. Mostly I use it to hide puzzle caches that I don't want to try to solve (particularly cyphers and codes aren't my thing).

I use Notifications but am not attached to them. I use them to get FTFs sometimes and it's nice to be able to make small additions rather than running PQs weekly.

I don't care much about Premium Member caches. I see merit in some of them, but have hidden none.

I don't use the Off Topic forum.

Premium Features Used With Crazy Frequency:

Notifications

Ignore List

Off Topic

Pocket Queries

Bookmarks

Favorites

Geocaching maps

Premium Features That I Use But Never Really Think About On A Conscious Level:

PMO Caches

Statistics

Friends

Caches Along a Route

Premium Features That I Use So Little That I Forgot They Exist:

Field Notes (Is that even a Premium Feature...?)

Send To GPS

Edited by Castle Mischief

:grin: waypoints in GPX format instead of LOC

:grin: Rate Your Favorites

:grin: Statistics

:sunsure: PM Caches

:sunsure: Off-Topic Forum

The only reason Stats gets a :sad: is that I don't really care about stats. Off-topic - I've never understood why I would go to a Geocaching site to talk about something else other than Geocaching. :blink:

Although I haven't really used the Off-topic forum I can certainly understand how a PM would consider it a benefit.

I've been involved in numerous on-line forums/discussion groups going back the 1984 or so and while that topic of discussion has ranged from narrow to broad it's not unusual for those that participate to become friends, first virtually, and occasionally in "real life" (for example, at large geoevents). As those friendships develop, traditionally communication has been "taken to email" for off-topic communication.

Although I come to this forum to talk about geocaching except for a few that I won't name I suspect that most of the participants are multi-faceted and have interests other than geocaching. Through my participation in this forum I've encountered others that share my interests in kayaking, flyfishing, darts, drinking good beer, technology, travel, and a variety of other topics. I really appreciate the fact that Groundspeak includes a forum just a click away that we, as geocachers, can discuss a variety of topics unrelated to geocaching, as friends.

In one of those other forum in which I participated in starting around 1988 or so there were a large group of regular participants, not unlike the regular contributors in this forum. Okay, if you must know, it was a Singles group on usenet and the regular members had a very broad interpretation of "Singles issues". Over time many of the regulars started to organize "meetups" and many of them became very good friends both virtually and in real life, even to this day after the usenet group is long gone.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

In order of usage frequency:

Off Topic (seasonally)

Geocaching maps

Pocket Queries

Caches Along a Route

Favorites