Washington Cachers, what is the best you have seen?

GeoReapers

About four months ago, our team completed the Geo-Triad, which was quite gratifying as relatively new cachers. As we were driving home from the APE cache, we were trying to figure out what would be a great new challenge for our team to complete. We didn't know anything about the Delorme Challege (hadn't even heard of it) so we decided that as a challenge to ourselves, we would find a cache in every city or town in Washington state (284 in total) in 12 months. We have made a good deal of headway since starting this, but it was a cache in Warden that made me sorta wonder...what is the perfect example of a cache in the cities we haven't hit?

So, please reccomend caches in your cities that are a perfect example of a good cache there. We have a good deal of Southweastern Washington (But nothing east of Tri-Cities-Pullman, etc..) and almost all sections of Northern Washington to cover (Actually, just about everything north of Lacey). We truly appreciate anything you can offer (and even maybe a place to eat, we love food) and thank you truly for your help.

Edited by GeoReapers

About four months ago, our team completed the Geo-Triad, which was quite gratifying as relatively new cachers. As we were driving home from the APE cache, we were trying to figure out what would be a great new challenge for our team to complete. We didn't know anything about the Delorme Challege (hadn't even heard of it) so we decided that as a challenge to ourselves, we would find a cache in every city or town in Washington state (284 in total) in 12 months. We have made a good deal of headway since starting this, but it was a cache in Warden that made me sorta wonder...what is the perfect example of a cache in the cities we haven't hit?

So, please reccomend caches in your cities that are a perfect example of a good cache there. We have a good deal of Southweastern Washington (But nothing east of Tri-Cities-Pullman, etc..) and almost all sections of Northern Washington to cover (Actually, just about everything north of Lacey). We truly appreciate anything you can offer (and even maybe a place to eat, we love food) and thank you truly for your help.

Now, THAT'S a challenge I could sink my teeth into. Someone needs to create that officially so I can try for it! Great idea posted - using the favorites list and the new "favorite" feature.

Now, THAT'S a challenge I could sink my teeth into. Someone needs to create that officially so I can try for it! Great idea posted - using the favorites list and the new "favorite" feature.

In case anyone wants to create this challenge, Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington has a list of all the towns in cities in Washington. They list 281 (Wikipedia agrees, so it must be true) :) According to this list, there are no cities or towns in Washington whose name begins with the letters J or X. The X seems pretty obvious, but the J is a surprise.

Aberdeen

Airway Heights

Albion

Algona

Almira

Anacortes

Arlington

Asotin

Auburn

Bainbridge Island

Battle Ground

Beaux Arts Village

Bellevue

Bellingham

Benton City

Bingen

Black Diamond

Blaine

Bonney Lake

Bothell

Bremerton

Brewster

Bridgeport

Brier

Buckley

Bucoda

Burien

Burlington

Camas

Carbonado

Carnation

Cashmere

Castle Rock

Cathlamet

Centralia

Chehalis

Chelan

Cheney

Chewelah

Clarkston

Cle Elum

Clyde Hill

Colfax

College Place

Colton

Colville

Conconully

Concrete

Connell

Cosmopolis

Coulee City

Coulee Dam

Coupeville

Covington

Creston

Cusick

Darrington

Davenport

Dayton

Deer Park

Des Moines

DuPont

Duvall

East Wenatchee

Eatonville

Edgewood

Edmonds

Electric City

Ellensburg

Elma

Elmer City

Endicott

Entiat

Enumclaw

Ephrata

Everett

Everson

Fairfield

Farmington

Federal Way

Ferndale

Fife

Fircrest

Forks

Friday Harbor

Garfield

George

Gig Harbor

Gold Bar

Goldendale

Grand Coulee

Grandview

Granger

Granite Falls

Hamilton

Harrah

Harrington

Hartline

Hatton

Hoquiam

Hunts Point

Ilwaco

Index

Ione

Issaquah

Kahlotus

Kalama

Kelso

Kenmore

Kennewick

Kent

Kettle Falls

Kirkland

Kittitas

Krupp

La Center

La Conner

Lacey

LaCrosse

Lake Forest Park

Lake Stevens

Lakewood

Lamont

Langley

Latah

Leavenworth

Liberty Lake

Lind

Long Beach

Longview

Lyman

Lynden

Lynnwood

Mabton

Malden

Mansfield

Maple Valley

Marcus

Marysville

Mattawa

McCleary

Medical Lake

Medina

Mercer Island

Mesa

Metaline

Metaline Falls

Mill Creek

Millwood

Milton

Monroe

Montesano

Morton

Moses Lake

Mossyrock

Mount Vernon

Mountlake Terrace

Moxee

Mukilteo

Naches

Napavine

Nespelem

Newcastle

Newport

Nooksack

Normandy Park

North Bend

North Bonneville

Northport

Oak Harbor

Oakesdale

Oakville

Ocean Shores

Odessa

Okanogan

Olympia

Omak

Oroville

Orting

Othello

Pacific

Palouse

Pasco

Pateros

Pe Ell

Pomeroy

Port Angeles

Port Orchard

Port Townsend

Poulsbo

Prescott

Prosser

Pullman

Puyallup

Quincy

Rainier

Raymond

Reardan

Redmond

Renton

Republic

Richland

Ridgefield

Ritzville

Riverside

Rock Island

Rockford

Rosalia

Roslyn

Roy

Royal City

Ruston

Sammamish

SeaTac

Seattle

Sedro-Woolley

Selah

Sequim

Shelton

Shoreline

Skykomish

Snohomish

Snoqualmie

Soap Lake

South Bend

South Cle Elum

South Prairie

Spangle

Spokane

Spokane Valley

Sprague

Springdale

St. John

Stanwood

Starbuck

Steilacoom

Stevenson

Sultan

Sumas

Sumner

Sunnyside

Tacoma

Tekoa

Tenino

Tieton

Toledo

Tonasket

Toppenish

Tukwila

Tumwater

Twisp

Union Gap

Uniontown

University Place

Vader

Vancouver

Waitsburg

Walla Walla

Wapato

Warden

Washougal

Washtucna

Waterville

Waverly

Wenatchee

West Richland

Westport

White Salmon

Wilbur

Wilkeson

Wilson Creek

Winlock

Winthrop

Woodinville

Woodland

Woodway

Yacolt

Yakima

Yarrow Point

Yelm

Zillah

In case anyone wants to create this challenge, Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington has a list of all the towns in cities in Washington. They list 281 (Wikipedia agrees, so it must be true) :) According to this list, there are no cities or towns in Washington whose name begins with the letters J or X. The X seems pretty obvious, but the J is a surprise.

And a few of these places only have 1 cache within city limits which has made this a real adventure for us. We have only found two cities so far that haven't had a cache at all. Go figure.

We intend on creating a cache to celebrate once we have completed this, so if someone doesn't get around to it by then-let us know.

And thanks for the input by everyone so far, it is appreciated. Any dining suggestions are going to be appreciated. We love sampling the local food, and I figure since you might live in and around the city, you will know the best spots.

I have thought of creating just such a challenge almost since I started caching (I've talked with jcar about it a couple of times) but wasn't sure how it would be recieved. If others are agreeable to it (sounds liek something they'd like to do) then I would npot mind taking on a project such as this.

I have thought of creating just such a challenge almost since I started caching (I've talked with jcar about it a couple of times) but wasn't sure how it would be recieved. If others are agreeable to it (sounds liek something they'd like to do) then I would npot mind taking on a project such as this.

Working on this is quite a task, definitely. I would hold off a bit until we (or someone else) complete it though because there are going to be a number of places that may not have caches or might never have had one. We have 62 cities and towns completed and are on track to finish by October-this is a bear of a task. I know we are going to want to be involved in this and we keep detailed notes of all the places that we go to and what the cache status is. It is nice to know other people don't see us as quite as insane as we thought we were :)

Edited by GeoReapers

This is actually something that I have given a great deal of thought to. As I said, I thought of this not long after I started caching but just never got it off the ground. I even wrote to Groundspeak at one point to ask about a way around armchairing it. When I first started reading this thread my fear was that I have been scooped. From the sounds of it the jury is still out on whether or not that is true but that is my own fault for taking so long to implement it.

I'm noit sure I would require a find in every town or city (speaking for myself and how I had thought about doing this) so it might not have to wait. If you'd like to take it off line, feel free to contact me and we can exchange ideas.

This is actually something that I have given a great deal of thought to. As I said, I thought of this not long after I started caching but just never got it off the ground. I even wrote to Groundspeak at one point to ask about a way around armchairing it. When I first started reading this thread my fear was that I have been scooped. From the sounds of it the jury is still out on whether or not that is true but that is my own fault for taking so long to implement it.

I'm noit sure I would require a find in every town or city (speaking for myself and how I had thought about doing this) so it might not have to wait. If you'd like to take it off line, feel free to contact me and we can exchange ideas.

A few thoughts.

The King County Chanllenge (?) recognizes both the armchair and fresh finds. If you want to limit to fresh finds then the find must be on or after the challenge published date. Second finds not allowed.

Are you going to have a definitive list of cities/towns? Or a general definition of what applies and given number of finds to complete?

How are you going to nail down the town limits? Need some way to determine that.

What happens if I found all two caches in a small town and I can't hide a vacation cache? Perhaps a beer and some pizza for a local cacher will provide a solution :)

A few thoughts.

The King County Chanllenge (?) recognizes both the armchair and fresh finds. If you want to limit to fresh finds then the find must be on or after the challenge published date. Second finds not allowed.

Are you going to have a definitive list of cities/towns? Or a general definition of what applies and given number of finds to complete?

How are you going to nail down the town limits? Need some way to determine that.

What happens if I found all two caches in a small town and I can't hide a vacation cache? Perhaps a beer and some pizza for a local cacher will provide a solution :)

Yes J, all things that I have thought of and all reasons why I have not yet put it together. If this is really something that people want then perhaps a seperate thread to discuss it (as was done with the KCTG challenge) would be appropriate. I've got a few ideas, as I just sent to GeoReapers. If you think it's worth it lets talk about it and I'll put it together. It's something I've been thinking about doing more and more lately...

We have done the Delorme and the Washington State County challenges. Love visiting small towns and would be interested if we could count all the towns we have already found caches. We are too old (86) to start again. I am sure there will be a lot of fuss about the way you do it. Just our 2 cents. And Jim I know the Kitsap County Challenge started new but that wasn't my idea. Dick

We have done the Delorme and the Washington State County challenges. Love visiting small towns and would be interested if we could count all the towns we have already found caches. We are too old (86) to start again. I am sure there will be a lot of fuss about the way you do it. Just our 2 cents. And Jim I know the Kitsap County Challenge started new but that wasn't my idea. Dick

Actually in retrospect I'm glad it did. You and Tim did a fine job setting it up. It certainly put every one on the same page and everyone got the pages they needed.

I think a bit of gleaning from the King County Thomas challenge would be helpful, especially with a challenge of this magnitude. It could be a very interesting and fun challenge. Actually thinking about it more, it might be good to drop the cities of say 100k or more from the challenge and focus on the small towns. Those were some of the more memorable places I went. The big city lights were not near the top of the list.

As far as being to old Dick, I don't know, I just keep seeing your name in logs all over the place.