Would you find this TB annoying?

parkrrrr

I have an evil plan that involves a travel bug, but I'm afraid that the bug itself might become annoying to those who are in its area. So, I come to y'all to solicit comments (but I've deliberately made this NOT a poll.)

Here's the plan: Warm Fuzzies is working on a difficult puzzle-themed multistage cache that will, we hope, more than earn a difficulty 5. The first finder doesn't get any hints, unless there is no first finder in the first few months of the cache's existence.

But after the first finder, we want to provide some hints. My evil plan is to attach the hints to a travel bug, and then make the bug's goals be to stay within 15 miles of an arbitrary point near the center of the multicache. So, if you want a hint, you have to go find the bug.

What concerns me most is that people will get tired of having this useless bug circulating around all of their nearby caches and never going away. Should this concern me? Should I just scrap the whole idea? Anyone got any suggestions on how I should modify the idea?

warm.gif

1. Bug gets stolen (taken and whereabouts not logged) = dead end.

2. Bug's mission is ignored, and bug is removed from area, but its travels are logged = not quite a dead end.

3. Bug stays in play in the area = slightly added challenge.

4. Local cachers eventually get tired of moving bug around, so it stays in one cache = just another leg on a multicache.

My guess is that, at best, you'll have a multi with a slightly added challenge for a limited period of time.

Worldtraveler

"Time's fun when you're having flies." - Kermit the frog

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Not really a dead end. I can always replace it if I have the 6-digit code. It's not as though a bug like this has to have dogtags attached.

quote:

2. Bug's mission is ignored, and bug is removed from area, but its travels are logged = not quite a dead end.

This would actually be the worst of all possible worlds, because I can't replace it. Well, I guess I could email whoever has it and ask them to either terminate the one they have or bring it back into range.

quote:

Well, yes, that's the whole idea: make them do at least a little work to get the hints. Adding a leg to the multicache, as you so astutely put it, is one way to do this. Some of those legs might be harder than others; at least three caches that qualify as potential hiding spots for that bug require some additional work besides just plugging in coords, and one of them is a multi that requires a 50-mile round trip to get one of the steps. Being the sort of evil person I am, I would of course start the hint bug out in that cache. icon_smile.gif

quote:

4. Local cachers eventually get tired of moving bug around, so it stays in one cache = just another leg on a multicache.

People using the hints would be encouraged to move the bug, too, so I don't think this is really that big a problem. Besides, if people stop moving it around I'll move it around myself. Remember that all of the caches it should be in are within 15 miles.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Not really a dead end. I can always replace it if I have the 6-digit code. It's not as though a bug like this has to have dogtags attached.

quote:

This would actually be the worst of all possible worlds, because I can't replace it. Well, I guess I could email whoever has it and ask them to either terminate the one they have or bring it back into range.

quote:

Well, yes, that's the whole idea: make them do at least a little work to get the hints. Adding a leg to the multicache, as you so astutely put it, is one way to do this. Some of those legs might be harder than others; at least three caches that qualify as potential hiding spots for that bug require some additional work besides just plugging in coords, and one of them is a multi that requires a 50-mile round trip to get one of the steps. Being the sort of evil person I am, I would of course start the hint bug out in that cache. icon_smile.gif

quote:

People using the hints would be encouraged to move the bug, too, so I don't think this is really that big a problem. Besides, if people stop moving it around I'll move it around myself. Remember that all of the caches it should be in are within 15 miles.

warm.gif

We have a cache in eastern MA that is very similar... However It was created before TravelBugs existed.... It is called the Thoreau Hitchhiker... Many people have searched for the coordinates of this cache... It is my personal goal to find it BEFORE the end of this summer...

Here is the link to it..

Thoreau Hitchhiker (Dave Jennings)

I say go for it... It could become a good hunt... The worst that can happen is that it will not, people will get annoyed, you pull the bug and make the cache a traditional cache, or multicache...

nitefall

but I'd like to see the range moved out a bit just to add to the available caches. While we can't compete with Colorado or Arizona, there ARE interesting places to visit in NE IN. Our team has been stagnant for awhile but we intend to dive back in this week sans one member who seems to work too much for play! icon_frown.gif

We often pair up with another team that actually prefers riddles and such to rugged terrain (GeoStars preference) so between the two, we should hit most of the area caches before summer's end.

Place it and they will come...

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

but I'd like to see the range moved out a bit just to add to the available caches. While we can't compete with Colorado or Arizona, there ARE interesting places to visit in NE IN. Our team has been stagnant for awhile but we intend to dive back in this week sans one member who seems to work too much for play! icon_frown.gif

We often pair up with another team that actually prefers riddles and such to rugged terrain (GeoStars preference) so between the two, we should hit most of the area caches before summer's end.

Place it and they will come...

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by Nitefall:

We have a cache in eastern MA that is very similar... However It was created before TravelBugs existed.... It is called the Thoreau Hitchhiker... Many people have searched for the coordinates of this cache...

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I do remember reference to someone trying to make a level five cache where the cache was in a padlocked box and the key was a travel bug that had to stay within a certain area.

Just to be clear, the cache will be a traditional cache and you won't have to find the bug to find the cache. The bug will just be the hints for the cache.

I like the idea of starting the bug in the final leg of the cache it's the hints for; that neatly solves the problem of not getting the hints out there until after the first find, and it leaves the question of whether hints should be made available up to whoever actually finds the cache.

Side note to Markwell: what is MIO PONG?

Side note to GeoStars: It's getting closer to completion. I actually have one of the puzzles completely constructed, including the container it'll be in, one constructed but without a container or a location yet, and one about half-done.

warm.gif

From the May 08 post by Rocknroll in the Too Many Lost Bugs! thread (page 2):

MIA PONG

Missing In Action, Prisoner of Newbie Geocacher.

I mistyped MIO PONG

quote:
Just to be clear, the cache will be a traditional cache and you won't have to find the bug to find the cache. The bug will just be the hints for the cache.

icon_wink.gif I know, I'm just remembering something similar from a thread quite a while ago.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

From the May 08 post by Rocknroll in the Too Many Lost Bugs! thread (page 2):

MIA PONG

Missing In Action, Prisoner of Newbie Geocacher.

I mistyped MIO PONG

quote:

icon_wink.gif I know, I'm just remembering something similar from a thread quite a while ago.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I have an evil plan that involves a travel bug, but I'm afraid that the bug itself might become annoying to those who are in its area. So, I come to y'all to solicit comments (but I've deliberately made this NOT a poll.)

Here's the plan: Warm Fuzzies is working on a difficult puzzle-themed multistage cache that will, we hope, more than earn a difficulty 5. The first finder doesn't get any hints, unless there is no first finder in the first few months of the cache's existence.

But after the first finder, we want to provide some hints ... So, if you want a hint, you have to go find the bug.

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

comment on the distance issue -- we have nearly 100 caches within a 15 mile range, so in our case we might narrow it to 5. Distance is relative!

I like the idea of the first finder getting to take the hint(s) and hide them elsewhere. Sounds fun to me.

Sounds like a nifty idea. The only short fall I see is the need for a Human to be involved.

They are always the weak link in any equation.

icon_wink.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

Sounds like a nifty idea. The only short fall I see is the need for a Human to be involved.

They are always the weak link in any equation.

icon_wink.gif

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

quote:
Originally posted by Nitefall:

We have a cache in eastern MA that is very similar... However It was created before TravelBugs existed.... It is called the Thoreau Hitchhiker... Many people have searched for the coordinates of this cache... It is my personal goal to find it BEFORE the end of this summer...

Here is the link to it..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1482

nitefall

I also planted a traveling clue cache in VA based on the Thoreau Hitchhiker idea/model. Response seems to be favorable and the clue is staying in the intended area (so far). I purposefully made it a clue as opposed to a true hitchhiker, so that it is easily replaced if lost or travels too far. See http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20972 which also has photos of the traveling clue. Any other traveling clue (or hitchhiking coordinates) caches out there?

There was (or is) a cache/TB combo in the Portland, OR area. I'm not sure exactly which cache it is, maybe one of the local cachers can tell you. But there was a padlock on the cache and the key was a TB that travelled around from cache to cache.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

We have a cache here in Portland, whose coordinates are bogus. To get the correct coordinates you need to find the Travel Bug Key to the Nutria. The only travel stipulation is that it stay in the Portland Metro area (except when the owner took it out to Central Oregon icon_mad.gif ).

It has been well received by the caching community up here, and lots of people of raced to get it, when it lands in a cache.

We have a cache here in Portland, whose coordinates are bogus. To get the correct coordinates you need to find the Travel Bug Key to the Nutria. The only travel stipulation is that it stay in the Portland Metro area (except when the owner took it out to Central Oregon icon_mad.gif ).

It has been well received by the caching community up here, and lots of people of raced to get it, when it lands in a cache.

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

Others might. Some people like to solve puzzles without hints. This person might find the TB before he tried to do your cache. He reads the hint. He gets upset because he loses the opportunity to solve the puzzle without the hint.

Fortunately, the hints are encrypted using the usual hint-encryption system, so you can't accidentally read them. At the moment the travel bug is lying on the shelf in my workshop waiting to be placed, and I liked Attila's suggestion so much that I will indeed be starting it off in its own cache. I'm just waiting until I've bought a chain and a stake to secure the cache first, so I can do it all in one trip.

warm.gif