Map GPX on Android

I have done a lot of looking around (mostly Google) on this and can't find a satisfactory solution. I travel 4-5 months a year in my trailer and currently take a laptop but I would like to travel lighter. The iPad lacks an SD card input that I need to take pictures off of my camera when it is full and in addition I have not found anything on there that would do what I desire.

The Motorola XOOM (due out this quarter) might and there is a micro USB which means I can hook a SD card reader to it plus there is a rumor that version 2 out later this year will have the SD card reader built in.

So, on an Android platform how do I accomplish the following:

Something like Mapsource or MS streets and trips so that I can load GPX files, view an area and plan my days hunt. I want streets type not TOPO. I have Google maps on my Droidx but there is no way to load a gpx file.

So any suggestions?

The Android app named "Maverick" will allow you to load a GPX file and view it overlayed on several different map providers. It will also use the Google Maps app for turn-by-turn navigation. Maverick caches map tiles for offline use, so you don't need wi-fi or mobile data to view the map if you have previously. The free version has limits, though I can't remember what they are.

Edited by JJnTJ

Thanks for the three quick answers

The ability to use the camera connection to load my pictures looks promising if I go with a iPad. But a followup to that would be what about the ability to overlay a downloaded gpx file (with 500 caches) to some sort of map and browse it on an iPad. Can that be done.

I have a netbook and do not desire to go in that direction.

I have downloaded Maverick but it only allows me to only get one gpx file of current location from the GS site.

I am looking for the same abilities as Mapsource and MS Streets and tips, load a gpx file with many caches and use it to plan my day. Maverick doesn't do that.

Actually, Maverick may not do turn-by-turn navigation. I can't see how to do it now. Hmm...

Geobeagle loads GPX files and will display them on Google Maps, but won't cache map tiles. It's not quite as slick as Maverick, but it does do Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation.

GeoBeagle looks interesting. I already have a bcaching account and it seems that access is pretty simple.

Now if I could compare it to something similar on the iPad I could make a decision.

The turn by turn is nice but not necessary since I would have these loaded in my Oregon for actually finding. This is primarily for planning.

Check out C:GEO in the app store. Simple and always ready-to-go client for Geocaching.com (unofficial). Search for caches by different criteria, search for them on Live Map, save them in your device, find them. You can also log your finds from your phone. I have used it along side my Garmin and think they are a great dynamic duo.

Edited by BB STACKER

The three suggested (and I had never heard of GeoOrg but had the other two) seem worth exploring over the next couple of days. Of course until they are tried on a android tablet I won't know if under Honeycomb they will expand to fill the screens. Some of the apps from the market don't and have to be modified.

Thank you for the suggetions and if a reviewer happens to stop they could close this thread.

I'm going to be careful in what I say here. I've used the Xoom and have a pile of pennies saved for one.

Offline caching of maps in Maps 5.0 is already supported; only the older versions, or if you're in a new area and with a poor data connection are tiles still used.

I suspect that at least one of the three aforementioned apps will be fine on launch day. The simulators have been out for a couple of weeks now, so any actively maintained program stands a great chance of being in place on the next update. Even the apps that aren't aware of the mongo screen geometry will still work, they'll just work with a scaled screen.

For anybody still watching I got the XOOM at half the price of the ad posted above. What I wanted was the ability to see all the caches in a PQ for planning purposes only. So far the below results.

Cannot load a GPX file to GE on the tablet. Can load it to My Maps on my laptop and it displays but appears to cut off at about 100 or so caches. Does the same on my computer and has page numbers on the bottom to view the rest but not on the mobile version.

GeOrg-Loads whole 500 caches and displays all on Google Maps can't figure that out. But does everything I want.

Maverick-Forced Close crash every time I open it. Must not translate to the larger screen well. Really liked that one since it cached maps.

Locus-installed and imported GPX file into Category. Can't figure out how to display.

That's all so far.