New geocache

freespirit444

Within 3 days is the service goal but the volunteers have families and are cachers as well so life sometimes happens. Take a look at this knowledgebook entry: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=81

I placed the cache befor submitting it. Is that ok? What I mean is. The geocache is already at its cords. I didn't know how long it could take so I wanted it ready the second it went "live".

Edited by freespirit444

Within 3 days is the service goal but the volunteers have families and are cachers as well so life sometimes happens. Take a look at this knowledgebook entry: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=81

I placed the cache befor submitting it. Is that ok? What I mean is. The geocache is already at its cords. I didn't know how long it could take so I wanted it ready the second it went "live".

That is what is expected. The moment it gets published, it is likely that a bunch of cachers will race off to find it.

Day or Night.

That is what is expected. The moment it gets published, it is likely that a bunch of cachers will race off to find it.

Day or Night.

SWEET!!!!!! Thank you so much! I am soooooooo excited!!!

More then OK, I would consider it a requirment. When you submit the cache for review you are saying it is ready to go. You will be given no advance notice before it is posted and, depending on your area and cache type, chances are an FTF hound will be at your cache as soon as it is posted and I mean as soon as 10 to 15 minutes after posting, day or night, there is no way you would be able to reliably beat them there and place it.

Just wondering how long it takes for a new cache to be published.......................

It depends on a number of things. As Starbrand said, three days is the goal but the reviewers have a real world life too. Your location can come into play as well, how many hides do they need to review on a regular basis? Also, a lot also depends on you. Did you leave enough information for the reviewer to easily decide if everything is good? I've only published one cache but after I hid it I spent a few days double checking everything, and included a lot of information in the reviewer notes (i.e. who gave permission with contact info and noted that the email giving permission was available if needed, the type of hide, container, contents, brief description of the area, everything I could think of they might possibly need to know. After I was happy with everything I activated the listing and 3 minutes later it was published. That is exceptional and I don't expect it to ever be that fast again but the point is that you can do a lot to speed up the process yourself, mostly by just helping your reviewer help you. HEREis more information that will help you the next time.

More then OK, I would consider it a requirment. When you submit the cache for review you are saying it is ready to go. You will be given no advance notice before it is posted and, depending on your area and cache type, chances are an FTF hound will be at your cache as soon as it is posted and I mean as soon as 10 to 15 minutes after posting, day or night, there is no way you would be able to reliably beat them there and place it.

Thank you so much! Nice to know I am choosing the right thing to do!!!! I am nervous. :-)

Just wondering how long it takes for a new cache to be published.......................

It depends on a number of things. As Starbrand said, three days is the goal but the reviewers have a real world life too. Your location can come into play as well, how many hides do they need to review on a regular basis? Also, a lot also depends on you. Did you leave enough information for the reviewer to easily decide if everything is good? I've only published one cache but after I hid it I spent a few days double checking everything, and included a lot of information in the reviewer notes (i.e. who gave permission with contact info and noted that the email giving permission was available if needed, the type of hide, container, contents, brief description of the area, everything I could think of they might possibly need to know. After I was happy with everything I activated the listing and 3 minutes later it was published. That is exceptional and I don't expect it to ever be that fast again but the point is that you can do a lot to speed up the process yourself, mostly by just helping your reviewer help you. HEREis more information that will help you the next time.

I did include a lot of info including names of the people who own the property I placed it on. I am excited. I hope I did everything right! :-)

Thank you so much! Nice to know I am choosing the right thing to do!!!! I am nervous. :-)

I once submitted a cache without putting it in place. I submitted it just before I went to bed, figuring the reviewer wouldn't get to it until the next day. He surprised me and published it right away. I woke up at 5 am to see the published notification and had to run out in the dark with the container to hide it because I knew there would be people looking for it soon.

I have seen a number of caches get published that didn't have the caches in place yet. People generally aren't too happen when this occurs, especially if it was published late at night and they rushed out for the FTF! There are very few cases where you would have time to hide a cache after it was published before somebody else got there, so please always make sure the cache is physically in place!

my hide was put on hold because it was too close to another one. they told me that they have to be 528 feet from each other. Is this true? I do not see that ANYWHERE in the guidelines. And if so, how the heck am I supposed to know when its far enough? I dont really yard to take a measuring tape out to measure lol

my hide was put on hold because it was too close to another one. they told me that they have to be 528 feet from each other. Is this true? I do not see that ANYWHERE in the guidelines. And if so, how the heck am I supposed to know when its far enough? I dont really yard to take a measuring tape out to measure lol

Yes that's part of the saturation guidelines. You may want to re read the guidelines a few times, there its a lot of info in there.

The best way to find out how far away it is... Load the other local caches into your gps, then walk 600 feet away. If I were you though instead of just placing one wherever you can, I would try to find a nice area to place it. Maybe a favorite local hiking trail with little to no caches?

ok thank you.... 528 feet just seemed a little random lol.

Also can you tell me this.... is it from the listed coordinances or the physical location of the cache? I read the guidelines again after I posted and still didnt see that info

Yes that's part of the saturation guidelines. You may want to re read the guidelines a few times, there its a lot of info in there.

The best way to find out how far away it is... Load the other local caches into your gps, then walk 600 feet away. If I were you though instead of just placing one wherever you can, I would try to find a nice area to place it. Maybe a favorite local hiking trail with little to no caches?

oh thanks... I didnt know that, so now it makes sence. But can you please tell me if it is supposed to be from the posted coords. or the physical location (of the other cache)

There is only one near where I want to place mine and I know where it is... but I also want to place mine near something specific. I dont want to move it then still be off

It does seem random but 528 feet happens to be one tenth (or .1) of a mile. That's how they came up with that number.

oh thanks... I didnt know that, so now it makes sence. But can you please tell me if it is supposed to be from the posted coords. or the physical location (of the other cache)

There is only one near where I want to place mine and I know where it is... but I also want to place mine near something specific. I dont want to move it then still be off

It does seem random but 528 feet happens to be one tenth (or .1) of a mile. That's how they came up with that number.

Guess you didn't read the saturation guidelines yet. Here, I'll help and post them here

Cache Saturation

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. The ultimate goals of the saturation guideline are to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist and to limit the number of caches hidden in a particular area, especially by the same hider. Groundspeak may further restrict cache listings in areas where cache saturation becomes a concern.

I bolded and colored the part you seem to be having a problem finding.

Edit: For traditional and waypoint 1 of multi caches the posted coordinates is the physical location of the cache. The gotcha is with mystery caches and the stages/final of a multi cache you don't know where they are unless you did the cache. Those count on the saturation guidelines.

Edited by jholly

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Thanks to you all for your help. Today is day 3 and I am chomping at the bit (so to speak). I am soooooo excited I am going to burst!!!

I haven't gotten any reviewer questions so I think everything is great just taking a bit of time, which is fine and dandy! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I am soooooooo excited!

On another note......................anyone have any hints on Tomisons "Right Guard" geocache? Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will......I WILL!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Thanks to you all for your help. Today is day 3 and I am chomping at the bit (so to speak). I am soooooo excited I am going to burst!!!

I haven't gotten any reviewer questions so I think everything is great just taking a bit of time, which is fine and dandy! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I am soooooooo excited!

On another note......................anyone have any hints on Tomisons "Right Guard" geocache? Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will......I WILL!!!!!!!

Ever consider therapy?? Maybe just a deep breath. :rolleyes::lol:

I do see that your reviewer has made some comments on your cache page asking for a change. Please take a look if you haven't already.