5th Anniversary Compass Rose Geocoin Yemon Yime Version

Scarlett_Ohara

I guess you're right that at any instant in time, any coin is worth exactly as much as someone is willing to offer. (Alternatively, what it cost to produce it? :) )

However, in more general terms, I guess that the average value (several identical coins and instants in time) depends a lot on the amount of coins produced, how old it is (coins produced years ago usually come up less frequently), whether the coin belongs to a series (i.e. tranquility or compass rose), as well as the creativity, colours, theme, cuteness, or whatever appeals to the crowd.

If I considered selling/trading a coin, I would be interested in knowing if the coin belongs in the regular price range (8-20$?), or in a more exclusive category. I would not be happy if someone tried offering me 15$ for a coin that sells at 40-100$ on ebay.

I don't have any info about the coin in question, other than what has been mentioned from ebay. I know that those numbers are sometimes fraud, though. However, compass roses are popular, Yemon Yime coins are popular, and (although being a newbie) I have never seen that coin before. I would not let it go for peanuts.

Edited by mamoreb

I'd like it to be known that over the past few days, the OP placed several bids in my auction of this coin. With just hours to go, she sent me a message asking me to cancel specific bids due to the item not being "as old as expected". I discovered this under 10 minutes before auction's end. I will not engage in any arguments here, or elsewhere, so my only statement to the OP is this:

Your actions affected the amount of money that other bidders ended up placing in this auction, which is entirely unfair to them. It's ironic that you started this thread asking the value of this coin, and effectively drove the price up to the amount that YOU placed on its value anyway.

Unacceptable.

I will be in contact with the top bidders to discuss the situation...as well as eBay.

I did not ask to cancel, i asked about the coin and the amount i offered and the year, I still offered more than you got for it. I said I was new at collecting and had some questions. You decided to cancel it. My offer was more than what you got, I was just confused on the year of the coin.

I'd like it to be known that over the past few days, the OP placed several bids in my auction of this coin. With just hours to go, she sent me a message asking me to cancel specific bids due to the item not being "as old as expected". I discovered this under 10 minutes before auction's end. I will not engage in any arguments here, or elsewhere, so my only statement to the OP is this:

Your actions affected the amount of money that other bidders ended up placing in this auction, which is entirely unfair to them. It's ironic that you started this thread asking the value of this coin, and effectively drove the price up to the amount that YOU placed on its value anyway.

Unacceptable.

I will be in contact with the top bidders to discuss the situation...as well as eBay.

I did not ask to cancel, i asked about the coin and the amount i offered and the year, I still offered more than you got for it. I said I was new at collecting and had some questions. You decided to cancel it. My offer was more than what you got, I was just confused on the year of the coin.

Unacceptable.

You're right, you did not ask to cancel your bids. I cancelled them...after you bid on the item, became the top bidder, bid on top of that, and sent a message (with less than five hours left in the auction) saying that you were now confused about the item. You then specifically stated that you were only willing to pay "X" amount for it, and asked if I could lower your top bid to "X".

For why this is wrong on so many levels, and completely unfair to other bidders, please make yourself more familiar with eBay's rules and policies HERE.

As a seller, I cannot see what your active bid maximums are. Therefore, I have no means to lower your bids, and no choice in selecting which of your bids to cancel. When a seller enters the eBay ID of the person who wants to cancel a specific bid amount, it cancels all bids from that eBay ID.

As anyone can see, there's a pretty solid reason why placing a bid on eBay is a binding contract that you need to be 100% sure of before clicking the "Confirm Bid" button.

i simply have been recently introduced to geocahing and geocoins, over the last month have purchased several i felt were beautiful and art and/or had some many to me. i wanted to purchase some for my daughter as well to give her when i take her to an event happening this weekend and introduce her to a new sport i have truely enjoyed. i had questions on the coin and about ebay. the seller of the last coin felt it best to cancel my offer, which was more than it went for. i explained i am new and to this and new to ebay as well. i apologized for any offence that might have happened in my pursuit of knowledge. I simply felt that geocaching was a fun and family friendly way to get my friends and drelatives togather. i still feel that about geocahing but will leave the hard core collecting of coins to those more knowledgeable than i. I still however will collect the ones i feel are a great piece of art. again i simply was excited about it all being that it was new. this will be my last post. thanks you

Regarding value. An item is worth what a buyer is willing to pay, and a seller is willing to sell. Value is relative.

All ebay sales, or any transactions at all, take place in private. They are not to be discussed here. So this thread is being closed.

That being said, to the OP, you should know that YemonYime is a well known, upstanding, and long time member of the geocoin community, with a fine reputation for integrity, and generosity. He would not treat anyone unfairly. Please discuss this issue offline.