seveal coins

Scarlett_Ohara

I have been aquiring sevral coins. some older than othres. Just curious whats hot and wanted. I enjoy collecting. My dad is an internationally known artist, he is designing my own coin as we speak. He is well known www.artbygregorybeck.com i am going to call it hte morningstar, it's my last name. But how do u know what u buy on ebay or from others is really wanted or rare. I would love to meet others in the DFW area that could help. I would be willing to give them one of these cins he is designing for me just for knowledge.

Well, I never go for what's rare or valuable, even though if someone is lurking in the forums, they would know, what is rare.

I buy coins not on ebay but in the shops and I get what I like, not what might be valuable in the future.

This is not like collecting paintings or pottery, this goes not over the head, but the heart. (Or the tummy, as we say over here.)

If a design is to my liking, I would get one or two of these coins.

Personally I wouldn't get coins for their resell value or trade value.

Hi Scarlett!

I'm in the DFW area and have been collecting coins for several years. I'll send you and email and we can chat. I'd love to let you know about local events and such!

MJ

There are two avenues to this...

Do you want to make $$'s from a coin or do you want to put heart and soul into a design that is you and your connection to geocaching? You have a great offered resource, MustangJoni nearby. Take her up on her offer, no smoke here, just an observation of a few years on this forum and knowing who has a great handle on the twist and turns of geocoins.! :)

watching the geocoin forum is a good way to keep abreast of what's the coin du jour, and the coins that entice and impress, old and new.

you'll find this a great and helpful group if you need to bounce ideas off of the geocoin masters like mustangjoni, joensue and ellipirelli.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (as often is value!) With your father helping to design your coin, it's sure to be a beautiful coin...if it's going to be a personal coin, be sure to put a little of your heart into the coin, and make it your own.

Save me a trader!

ILYK

you'll find this a great and helpful group if you need to bounce ideas off of the geocoin masters like mustangjoni, joensue and ellipirelli.

Uh, you see me blushing....

I'm by no means a geocoin master. :cute:

But I do like coins and I know what I like in coins.

Scarlett, if Mustang Joni is offering to coach you about coins, do pick her up on her offer.

Even I'd like to get an offer like that. Hopefully I'll manage to meet her face to face at GeoCoinFest Europe in Cologne...

Edit: silly typo

Edited by ElliPirelli

Shucks! I'm so flattered! Especially since I look up to each of you!

Elli - you will definitely be seeing me in Germany. I can't wait to meet you in person!!!!

Scarlett and I have been in touch. Hopefully, she'll be able to make it to one of the upcoming events in the area. I really hope she can make it to my Mardi Gras event!

I get what I like.

this goes not over the head, but the heart. (Or the tummy, as we say over here.)

This is exactly why coins become desirable. They are collectable, people feel they must have a coin or would like the whole set. So when a desirable coin comes along people will pay more for it. Some of it is supply and demand, but it is more to do with the connection one attaches themself to an item... there are really rare coins that aren't in high value or demand. Making them trackable seems to increase the value as well... the first 10 geocoins produced used to be very desirable (and still are to a select few old timers) but in general these coins are forgotten and not so desirable to new collectors since they were made in a different era.

Shucks! I'm so flattered! Especially since I look up to each of you!

Elli - you will definitely be seeing me in Germany. I can't wait to meet you in person!!!!

Scarlett and I have been in touch. Hopefully, she'll be able to make it to one of the upcoming events in the area. I really hope she can make it to my Mardi Gras event!

I take care of my elderly grandmother who CANNOT be left alone, but i am making arrangements with a companion to stay so I can make the event. I have had it on my watch list since I got my first Groundspeak news letter. thank you so much for your help. I look forward to meeting with you. On my coin my dad is designing, my last name is morningstar, so I am hoping to incoperate that into the coin. Also Whats the event in Germany. I am german, lived there about 8 years total, and look forward to vactioning there soon to see some friends. Again thank you so much. Tara

Taking care of your elderly grandmother makes you a hero in my eyes. There is nothing more important than taking care of those who nurtured us when we were young! :)

We are holding a GeocoinFest Event in Germany in August. It is an event that centers around the collecting of Geocoins. It should be a blast!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=262708&st=0&p=4588471&hl=gcf&fromsearch=1entry4588471

I do not think there is anything specific, but here is some that seem to do well.

Mount10bike coins because they were the first.

Your state geocoins will be popular in your area, I hunted to finish a set.

Scouting.. I have tried to find any of those.

Reviewer coins.

Lackey coins.

Bigger named cachers personal coins.

Some are just unique, unfortunately a unique coin sometimes spawns near copies. So what is cool and desirable today, may be commonplace tomorrow.

You really have to find what interests you to collect.

I have been aquiring sevral coins. some older than othres. Just curious whats hot and wanted. I enjoy collecting. My dad is an internationally known artist, he is designing my own coin as we speak. He is well known www.artbygregorybeck.com i am going to call it hte morningstar, it's my last name. But how do u know what u buy on ebay or from others is really wanted or rare. I would love to meet others in the DFW area that could help. I would be willing to give them one of these cins he is designing for me just for knowledge.

As your father can attest the best way to buy art is to seek out that which calls out to you, not to others. If you're looking to buy that which will have a higher resale value later on you may as well put your money on blackjack or poker. Not all collectors have similar tastes and some do better than others because they have really good taste or intuition or insight into what will be fashionable or hot in the future. It's a bit like fortune telling. Some have the gift while others just have to please themselves in the process. Good luck with your coin.

As your father can attest the best way to buy art is to seek out that which calls out to you, not to others.

but what if they all call...long distance...collect?

ILYK

Taking care of your elderly grandmother makes you a hero in my eyes. There is nothing more important than taking care of those who nurtured us when we were young! :)

We are holding a GeocoinFest Event in Germany in August. It is an event that centers around the collecting of Geocoins. It should be a blast!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=262708&st=0&p=4588471&hl=gcf&fromsearch=1entry4588471

Not to forget there is a Geocoinfest in the USA as well :)Rock Hill SC

Not to forget there is a Geocoinfest in the USA as well :)Rock Hill SC

Sorry! I'm trying to make that one too!