Mega Wales Slate Geocoins

I was slated (sorry for the pun, but it's also true) for dropping the ball when these became available briefly a month or so ago and very quickly sold out just on the basis of a pre-announcement on the main Geocoin forum.

No need for that to happen again - I'm proud to announce that Mega Wales 2011's next venture is almost certainly a world first Geocoins which have been mined, manufactured and made exclusively in Wales by dedicated miners and craft workers (not to mention the use of a smidgen of modern laser technology!)

slate01.jpg

The coins shown here are for scale - and the Feathers design has been refined much further since this image was taken - but its worth looking at this image to see their texture and thickness and also how every coin has its own blemishes/unique features:

slate02.jpg

Two coins are available in this current series - both have the Mega Wales Slate's unique icon on Geocaching.com and bear the Welsh Dragon on the serial number bearing side.

On the other side... you have a choice:

slate03.jpg

This is what we call the "Celtic Pattern".

and the alternative is this (the revised version of the above original design):

slate04.jpg

The Three Feathers.

As you can see, especially from the Three Feathers photograph that each of these coins are unique in that they all have their own individual shiny bits, patterns and "flaws" (some exhibit the characteristic of Ffestiniog slate of clouding, where you see differences in brightness across the face of the coin).

You can now order these at http://www.megawales.co.uk/shop

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

If the shop shows one of these coins as "SOLD OUT" in the next couple of hours, don't believe it - come back within a day and re-order. The second batch sold so quickly that apart from a small number of reserves we always hold back in case coins are lost in the post, they're sold!! The beauty of sourcing everything locally (except for serial numbers which still come from Groundspeak) is that we get more made very quickly - the next batch should be with us within a few days! When I get the chance, I'll update the shop to reflect this.

To avoid any confusion it should be stressed that these are part of the Welsh MEGA fund-raising initiative and are not the official Welsh MEGA Coin, which will be available at the MEGA to those geocachers who have bought a Supporter's pack (see MEGA website).

The official Welsh MEGA Coin is a traditional design in metal rather than slate.

Just to let folks know that we have had more slate coins made (both varieties) and are now on the on-line shop.

I'll keep my eye on the stock levels and should they get low I'll order more. Lee time between ordering and me collecting the coins is around 1 1/2 weeks - though the next batch could be quicker as I have already purchased additional serial numbers in anticipation.