GeoCoin Questions

marty621

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ag:

I do not want reinvent the wheel and create a trackable system for the my geocoin I am working on. Is there anyone I can piggyback off of? I want to use these as my sigiture items.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

It may be easiest to purchase Travel Bug tags to attach to your signature coins.

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

It may be easiest to purchase Travel Bug tags to attach to your signature coins.

I would be broke. They cost over $4.00 a piece. I plan to put 200 into circulation. Sorry, Jeremy, I have to put kids in college.

However, there is an idea for someone hint hint hint.

Create a webpage say geobugs.com and list people numbered travel bugs, tracking and logging. This would be cool especially if it were free. I am all about sharing.

This needs to happen. I will have to find someone to help me. I offer will pay for the domain and service if someone helps with the coding. I will create a seperate post on this one.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ag:

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

I would be broke. They cost over $4.00 a piece. I plan to put 200 into circulation. Sorry, Jeremy, I have to put kids in college.

However, there is an idea for someone hint hint hint.

Create a webpage say geobugs.com and list people _numbered_ travel bugs, tracking and logging. This would be cool especially if it were free. I am all about sharing.

This needs to happen. I will have to find someone to help me. I offer will pay for the domain and service if someone helps with the coding. I will create a seperate post on this one.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

I can't help you with the coding but I do own a web hosting company and could help you with the domain and hosting. E-mail me through my user profile if you are interested.

So the USA GeoCoins come with activation codes, just like travel bugs?

I found one the other day -- was quite surprised at how tarnished it was, showing dirt and smudges. These things have only been in circulation for a few months, and this particular one hasn't been through a whole lot (it's been in one cacher's possession for a long trip, so it's been logged in and out of various caches, but it hasn't been exposed to the elements for any amount of time, unless the team that had it was testing its durability on the side). Wish they'd been made out of slightly better material, or is this a fluke?

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

So the USA GeoCoins come with activation codes, just like travel bugs?

I found one the other day -- was quite surprised at how tarnished it was, showing dirt and smudges. These things have only been in circulation for a few months, and this particular one hasn't been through a whole lot (it's been in one cacher's possession for a long trip, so it's been logged in and out of various caches, but it hasn't been exposed to the elements for any amount of time, unless the team that had it was testing its durability on the side). Wish they'd been made out of slightly better material, or is this a fluke?

Yes, the coins are activated exactly like Travel Bugs and are tracked the same way.

As far as the coin you found I'm curious myself on how they will look after time. My guess is that since they are the same color as the Golden dollar coins they may act the same. Only time will tell. Was the coin in any kind of ziplock bag etc or was it just exposed to the elements?

Yes. They're going to loose their looks if you don't keep them clean and dry. They need to be in some sort of coin holder or bag for protection.

Texas Geocoins are sent in a clear plastic holder. This seem to keep the coin shiny, but the plastic itself tends to get really scratched up.

Also, all bets are off if the coin is placed in leaky tupperware. I don't think the coin holders are waterproof.

George

quote:
Originally posted by SirPhinUSA:

I just relocated an Oregon geocoin. It is a numbered item... is there a site or page to log Oregon geocoins?

SirPhinUSA, you can go to www.cogeo.org and click on the 'Found an Oregon Geocoin? Click here to track it!' link near the top of the page.

My husband and I are going to the midwest next week and just activated 8 Oregon Geocoins that we're gonna place between DesMoines and St. Louis. We plan on spending a day in Quincy, IL, a day in Hannibal, MO, and a couple days in St. Louis during our travels.

--laurak of dasein

I like the geocache daddy's idea of geobugs.com for coins or other bugs.

I haven't done any geocoins, but at $4-5 a pop, travel bugs (tags) and geocoins are a pricy way to pay for a tracking service. The TB instructions on the tag are ... incomplete ... so we "have to" add an instruction tag, which includes the number, with the bugs anyway. The metal tag, much of the cost, becomes redundant and potentially confusing.

All we need is a web server for tracking numbers assigned to the particular owner's bugs, then we make the instruction tag. This tag might include a (downloaded) standard icon on it to place with the url for brand recognition, like the Groundspeak-bar-code bug on the current metal tags.

I'm going to be sending out a couple replacement travel bugs for lost bugs to continue their quests :-( I only have the COPY tags (and plan to keep them), so I'm going to make new instruction tags like were sent with the lost bugs. I might add the Groundspeak-bar-code bug on these for brand recognition, but not sure if that will ruffle copyright feathers. I plan to send the replacements (same or similar hitchhiker) to the last person who placed the lost bug, the cache owner of the last cache, or someone like that.