iphone help

HPotters

I am new to geocaching and need some help please! To date i have used my iphone - which I realise is a very basic tool but it has served me well so far. On previous finds I have used the "navigate to geocache" option in the geocaching app and it has worked fine - takes me to "0" easily. My question is this - when I go to a location that is only the starting point and I work out clues to get the exact co-ordinates, is it possible to input these into the iphone, do I need another app? For now I am just following numbers on the compass but it is a bit like stumbling around in the dark. I hope someone can help!

I am new to geocaching and need some help please! To date i have used my iphone - which I realise is a very basic tool but it has served me well so far. On previous finds I have used the "navigate to geocache" option in the geocaching app and it has worked fine - takes me to "0" easily. My question is this - when I go to a location that is only the starting point and I work out clues to get the exact co-ordinates, is it possible to input these into the iphone, do I need another app? For now I am just following numbers on the compass but it is a bit like stumbling around in the dark. I hope someone can help!

When viewing the cache information, select "Navigate to Geocache". Once you're on the map, click the flag icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. There you can enter the new coordinates and give a name to that waypoint.

After you save it, select the flag in the map and you can then use the compass to navigate to the coordinates you entered. A bit kludgy, but it works.

You may want to also ensure that the cache where you have added the new waypoint is marked as a favourite. You can then exit that cache (or even exit the App completely and turn your phone off) and when you return it will remember the added waypoint(s).

For example, the other week I did a Multi, where I had to bail out half way through due to time. I had already entered and found two intermediate waypoints and then decided I didn't have time to get to the third, but I did add it as a waypoint. I flagged the cache as a favourite. Days later, I returned to complete the cache and all my added waypoints were still available on the phone for that cache.

Another example is for Puzzle caches. After solving a puzzle at home, you can 'search by GC code' for that cache and add a new waypoint for the final destination. As long as you flag it as a favourite, then you'll have the final destination for that cache saved in your phone.

Agreed, you can tap the "flag" button and it opens a screen that lets you manually enter a waypoint. Also, there are other apps at the AppStore that can help you. "Motion X Lite" is a free GPS app that is very good (I went ahead and upgraded to the paid version but the free one is fine). Also, "Geocaching Toolkit" (also free) has some great tools for helping with puzzle and multi caches such projecting a waypoint or converting Roman numerals to regular, stuff like that. Check it out!

Thanks everyone - looks like I will go for Motion X.

Out caching today and had to add the new co-ordinates. Thanks to Ecylram's reply i was able to add the new ones, but they ran into a problem because I saved it to "new geocache location" but then went back to the compass and only the orginal co-ordinates where there. Obviously I'll have to have a look at it tonight and figure out what I did wrong. Hard to do today in the pouring rain and freezing cold.

Thanks again for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

Edited by HPotters