Log deletion

tarmacjohn

Did a cache Quarry Cache yesterday and have consequently had my log deleted :mad: . It was a grotty Nano fixed to the metal rails on the back of a dog bin :sad: .

The log said 'Was in Hereford on business and had this 4* cache on my list as I need it for my D/T grid and I like a challenge. I don't feel this warrants a 4* cache, it took about 30 seconds to find even with the co-ords about 20 foot out. Also not too keen on what it is fixed to. SL TNLN'.

So, too harsh? Does this warrant deletion? Should I bite my tounge and just put a simple TFTC

Personally I would post a needs archive on it.

Had a needs maintenance placed on it in October and not been remedied, how difficult is it to replace a log? ;)

The cache owners duty is to maintain their caches. Well sited and maintained caches are unlikely to get derogatory logs. :)

There was nothing derogatory or offensive in your log, keep logging it until it is accepted and place a needs maintenance on each occasion too. :P

Yes, re logged. Will see how long it lasts this time

Personally I don't see why it should be deleted. Can't see anything wrong with it, you've not been mean or worded your opinion badly. I see the CO has done one D5 cache themselves, perhaps that was easy too. Nothing wrong with stating your opinion though. I have commented on the D/T ratings a few times, both when I personally have considered them too high or too low. Don't expect the CO to make a change on my say so alone, but if several people start saying the same then it would help future finders.

Personally I don't see why it should be deleted. Can't see anything wrong with it, you've not been mean or worded your opinion badly. I see the CO has done one D5 cache themselves, perhaps that was easy too. Nothing wrong with stating your opinion though. I have commented on the D/T ratings a few times, both when I personally have considered them too high or too low. Don't expect the CO to make a change on my say so alone, but if several people start saying the same then it would help future finders.

OK, I am getting annoyed with all the TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) used in these groups.

Please keep it to plain English.

CO

D5

D/T

and many more else where, how are noobs - and there are many of us, supposed to understand what the heck you are on about.

I understand the need for them on the logs but NOT here.

OK, I am getting annoyed with all the TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) used in these groups.

CO

D5

D/T

Don't worry, you'll learn :P

CO = Cache Owner

D5 = Difficulty 5 rating

D/T = difficulty/terrain

Learning isnt the point, there are many others out there that have to ask and ask and ask.

If an acronym isnt in the mainstream world (not restricted to just geocaching then is the time to use them), when you expect new members to join, it is better not to use them.

CO

D5

D/T

and many more else where, how are noobs - and there are many of us, supposed to understand what the heck you are on about.

Had forgotten why I stopped coming to the forums. Now I remember. I will consider myself told off. Sorry I annoyed you. I'll stick to what I decided a few months back and not post in the forums any more.

Hopefully enough people will stick around to help the noobs despite the tone some use to make their point.

See ya, or should I say TTFN

I had a log deletion on a cache which i later found to be placed in a lay by notorious for pick ups (although i didn't know at the time) to compound it the area was littered with condoms , vomit and faeces.......and the kids were with me.

I wrote an honest log which was not aggressive or rude but the CO was not keen and deleted claiming the former , we had quite a good email debate and parted on even worse terms. :mad:

Personally I would post a needs archive on it.

Had a needs maintenance placed on it in October and not been remedied, how difficult is it to replace a log? ;)

The cache owners duty is to maintain their caches. Well sited and maintained caches are unlikely to get derogatory logs. :)

There was nothing derogatory or offensive in your log, keep logging it until it is accepted and place a needs maintenance on each occasion too. :P

Completely agree, we too would post an NA on this cache. The CO will perhaps delete that too but not before the NA log goes to the reviewers. We didn't realise until very recently that a CO can delete an NA.

CO

D5

D/T

I refer the honorable complainant to the link that was helpfully supplied to him when he asked for information about the geocaching acronyms on the GAGB forum - Please see the link given in post #2 from the learned DrDick:

Looking for info on acronyms.

MrsB :)

I had a 'Needs Maintenance' log deleted today <_< It was a rural nano, tied to a post. The log sheet was full and had been reported as such in numerous logs for the last 15 months.

I said that the log sheet was full and that it shouldn't take 15 months to to replace it. I also asked why the COs had bothered to place a cache if they weren't prepared to maintain it.

I had a nasty email from the CO saying, among other things, that my log was being deleted because it was "crass and insensitive" and that I had "no idea of their circumstances". They went on to say "Yes, we knew the log book was full. But it was also clear from logs that this series of caches has provided, and continues to provide, enjoyment for those venturing this way.".... but they made no commitment to go and rectify the problem.

Do I care... No, not really. The cache page still has a 'Needs Maintenance' attribute even though my log has been deleted.

CO

D5

D/T

CO = Cache Owner

D5 = Difficulty 5 rating

D/T = difficulty/terrain

Learning isnt the point, there are many others out there that have to ask and ask and ask.

If an acronym isnt in the mainstream world (not restricted to just geocaching then is the time to use them), when you expect new members to join, it is better not to use them.

When I first started caching a little over a year ago I was felt completely lost seeing all the Acronyms, not only on the forums but also on the logs and cache pages.

I once took ages trying to work out what BYOP meant thinking it was a clue or something.

What I did is Google geocaching Acronyms and found this:

Glossary of terms

That site sorted them out in my head.

Even after a year I still had to revert to this page.... but what i would never have done is demand that everyone talk laymen because I was a newbi and having none of it.

How very rude you seem!

CO

D5

D/T

CO = Cache Owner

D5 = Difficulty 5 rating

D/T = difficulty/terrain

When I first started caching a little over a year ago I was felt completely lost seeing all the Acronyms, not only on the forums but also on the logs and cache pages.

I once took ages trying to work out what BYOP meant thinking it was a clue or something.

What I did is Google geocaching Acronyms and found this:

Glossary of terms

That site sorted them out in my head.

Even after a year I still had to revert to this page.... but what i would never have done is demand that everyone talk laymen because I was a newbi and having none of it.

How very rude you seem!

Sadly Acronyms are a part of modern life i don't like them but accept them if you enter my stream of work you would be bombarded with BTS, HLR, HSPA , LTE, WCDMA etc and expected to learn them , even more annoying is 'trendy office talk' which fortunately we dont have :lol:

I have 2 teenagers and a pre-teen. I have to learn their acronyms in order to know what they're saying about me!

lol - was it worth it?!

When I moved to the job before last, everyone talked in acronyms all the time and it took me a while to tune into them all. Luckily a kind colleague provided me with an A4 sheet of them which helped a little.

There aren't THAT many here and it's just a case of going with the flow. No-one minds if people ask if they don't understand - we're a helpful lot really - but we do like to speak the lingo.

As for log deletion, I've only done it if there's a duplicate post where the poster doesn't respond to my request to remove the second one, if they have posted a spoiler pic where I've specifically asked it not to occur, or on one occasion last week, where the cacher gave away the whole finding method in his log (which was part of the fun). In the latter two instances, I encourage the poster to re-post without the offending extras and all's fine.

TFTP (post).

:P

Topic - Log Deletion.

How about when a cacher cannot find the official cache and decides to place a "replacement" cache because prior logs mentioned brush clearing in the area? What I would prefer is to brand a F on their log for Fake!

Seriously, this is a game! If someone deletes your na "move on." They are not worth your time. There are many ways to alert real cachers to the dangers of some caches, or cos. Btw, this is a game about hunting, with clues, and part of the fun is deciphering the clues and acronyms. Enjoy the walk in the sunshine (or rain on the south Oregon coast) and have a good time. If some boner co deletes me, ok. That is a co I do not need to follow (and I just might spread it around but I will not devote my life to it).

Happy Hunting! WolfCoug

There are too many cr*p caches out there these days and as the Reviewers, understandably, do not want to take on the role of screening caches on merit the only way to effectively manage the process is honest (but fair) logs. This is one advantage of Favourites!

Repost and if deleted again take the matter to a higher authority.

I posted a "Needs Archiving" log this week on an urban cache where the cache owner had found one cache last April, set a cache two days later and had not logged onto Groundspeak since! His cache had received three DNF logs since last October and had clearly gone!

There are too many cr*p caches out there these days and as the Reviewers, understandably, do not want to take on the role of screening caches on merit the only way to effectively manage the process is honest (but fair) logs. This is one advantage of Favourites!

Repost and if deleted again take the matter to a higher authority.

I posted a "Needs Archiving" log this week on an urban cache where the cache owner had found one cache last April, set a cache two days later and had not logged onto Groundspeak since! His cache had received three DNF logs since last October and had clearly gone!

Good for you - there are many people who find a couple of caches and then pepper their local area with crappy caches.. Found 7, hidden 28 - plenty like that round here. I guess that's what the Ignore option is for :lol: