GSAK for a Mac?

camnpete

I've been using GSAK as long as I've been geocaching and I switched to a Mac last year...and continue to run GSAK using VMware (you could also use Parallels or dual-boot with Boot Camp). IMO, there is no substitute for GSAK.

Thanks. I'm not techie enough to use VMWare. Portland Cyclist suggested GCStatistic, since all I'm really interested in is generating statistics, so I think I'll try that. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Pete

I've been using GSAK as long as I've been geocaching and I switched to a Mac last year...and continue to run GSAK using VMware (you could also use Parallels or dual-boot with Boot Camp). IMO, there is no substitute for GSAK.

And if one wants another option, Virtual Box from Sun/Oracle is still free, and is on par with VMWare and Parallels for user experience. The drawback to all of these is that the user still needs to perform a Windows install in order to use their Windows programs, but they are the most stable/reliable way to run Windows programs on an Intel based Mac.

I am a Mac user and just upgraded to the Lion operating system. Now when I am on the Windows side through VMware, when I plug in the USB from my Garmin, it does open on the Windows side but only on the Mac side. Have any suggestions? Thanks,

I am a Mac user and just upgraded to the Lion operating system. Now when I am on the Windows side through VMware, when I plug in the USB from my Garmin, it does open on the Windows side but only on the Mac side. Have any suggestions? Thanks,

VMware is probably the sole virtualisation program I've not run on OS X so I'm speculating a little here (but I did earn my living for years supporting and developing virtualisation products -- I'm a licensed speculator :)), but I'd go looking for a VMware preference to indicate whether you want to pass any/all USB ports through to the guest operating system. (I'm presuming you meant "does not open on the Windows side", suggesting VMware is restricting access to the USB ports to the host OS, in this case OS X Lion.)

Edit to close a parenthesis. Yes, that's pedantic. Sorry.

If this isn't the answer and nobody provides one, post again and I'll investigate a bit.

Edited by ollave

It depends on what features you need. If all you need is the ability to upload caches to a GPS I find MacCaching super easy to use. If you need advanced features such as Macros, etc... as others have said there is no exact replacement for GSAK. I also run Windows 7 under VMware and it works very very well. It is really not that hard to set up. All you need is a copy of Windows you can get at any electronics store and either VMware, or its competitor Virtual Box (which is free.) If you need a walk though on how to install check Youtube...there are tons of videos showing how to do it.....It's really not hard at all I promise.

With your VM open goto Virtual Machine-> Settings. You can specify which side the USB devices open on. Also make sure you are running the latest install of VMWare tools (also under the virtual machine menu.)