Geocach On School Grounds

chamont

I don't know why everyone gets worked up over this.

I am a school teacher for an elementary school.

6 of my students, have parents that have FELONY Convictions. Convicted Felons have children too. They still bring them to school, go to school events, and pick up the children as well.

The convictions that these parents have include, charges for Drugs, Murder, Burglary, Assualt, & even one for Kidnapping.

So if you worry that a geocache on or near school property will bring those undesireables near your children at school, you shouldn't worry so much about them...

WORRY MORE ABOUT THE OTHER PARENTS OF THE CHILDREN YOUR KIDS ARE WITH IN SCHOOL!

Just an FYI

WNT

I don't think any cachers are worried about the actions or intentions of other cachers - its what the neighbors and teachers not in the know think about when they see a 44 year old fat man with a bag and electronics poking around the bushes at the side of the school during 3rd hour.

I have no doubt that lots of undesirables actually get into the school for innocent reasons each and every day. But the neighbors and teachers don't call the cops on them.

6 of my students, have parents that have FELONY Convictions. Convicted Felons have children too. They still bring them to school, go to school events, and pick up the children as well.

The convictions that these parents have include, charges for Drugs, Murder, Burglary, Assualt, & even one for Kidnapping.

So if you worry that a geocache on or near school property will bring those undesireables near your children at school, you shouldn't worry so much about them...

WORRY MORE ABOUT THE OTHER PARENTS OF THE CHILDREN YOUR KIDS ARE WITH IN SCHOOL!

Just an FYI

WNT

I don't think any cachers are worried about the actions or intentions of other cachers - its what the neighbors and teachers not in the know think about when they see a 44 year old fat man with a bag and electronics poking around the bushes at the side of the school during 3rd hour.

I have no doubt that lots of undesirables actually get into the school for innocent reasons each and every day. But the neighbors and teachers don't call the cops on them.

Absolutely.... But see I think their is a difference between if the cache in question that is on or next to school property is placed by the STUDENTS of the school, as in a class project, school project etc... & one that is placed on or near school property by just a normal geocacher who has NO connection to the school at all.

I say this because in our school, we are now teaching our students how to use GPS devices & programs. We are teaching our students about geocaching as well. We have had the students make geocaching containers in art class, we use geocaching in our math & science classes, as well as geography & social studies classes.

Our Superintendant of our ISD as well as many of the teachers, principals, and other faculty beilieve that geocaching.com SHOULD allow the school systems to place caches on thier own property. It would be up to the school system to maintain safety & security, not geocaching.com. If the parents don't wish for a school to place a cache on their childs school property, then they can always speak to the teacher &/or principal of that school.

Thus if any teacher, faculty member, or law enforcement officer saw someone digging around in the bushes near where we the school had placed the cache they would know what that person was doing. At our school, we do have a full time Police officer on campus at all times.

WNT

Edited by WildNTexas

Absolutely.... But see I think their is a difference between if the cache in question that is on or next to school property is placed by the STUDENTS of the school, as in a class project, school project etc... & one that is placed on or near school property by just a normal geocacher who has NO connection to the school at all.

I say this because in our school, we are now teaching our students how to use GPS devices & programs. We are teaching our students about geocaching as well. We have had the students make geocaching containers in art class, we use geocaching in our math & science classes, as well as geography & social studies classes.

Our Superintendant of our ISD as well as many of the teachers, principals, and other faculty beilieve that geocaching.com SHOULD allow the school systems to place caches on thier own property. It would be up to the school system to maintain safety & security, not geocaching.com. If the parents don't wish for a school to place a cache on their childs school property, then they can always speak to the teacher &/or principal of that school.

Thus if any teacher, faculty member, or law enforcement officer saw someone digging around in the bushes near where we the school had placed the cache they would know what that person was doing. At our school, we do have a full time Police officer on campus at all times.

WNT

As part of the school project, are the parents of every single student notified? If one single parent is not notified and sees me sneaking around in the bushes, they are liable to call the police. There have been instances were the police have been called and they found a container. The principal explained what it was and that it was allowed to be there. The police didn't care. They still evacuated the neighborhood and blew up the geocache.

As far as placing cache on school grounds, you can place as many as you want, you just may not necessarily be allowed to list them on Geocaching.com. Keep your own private list. With it you can still use them for the educational lessens they were designed for.

WNT

As part of the school project, are the parents of every single student notified? If one single parent is not notified and sees me sneaking around in the bushes, they are liable to call the police. There have been instances were the police have been called and they found a container. The principal explained what it was and that it was allowed to be there. The police didn't care. They still evacuated the neighborhood and blew up the geocache.

As far as placing cache on school grounds, you can place as many as you want, you just may not necessarily be allowed to list them on Geocaching.com. Keep your own private list. With it you can still use them for the educational lessens they were designed for.

I can't speak for other school systems. But at our school, we have a 24 hour hour law enforcement officer. So any calls into the police that are located at the school would go directly to him by the 911 dispatcher. He would know about the geocache & would handle things in the correct manner. Our local police department has also educated it's police officers on what geocacheing is. Their is a city ordinance that requires that all geocaches be labeled with on the outside as being a geocache. Not that all geocachers follow that city ordinance of course.

Our school, I am sure though is the exception to the rule. Most schools don't have a police officer on duty, most just have a "rent a cop" or security gaurd on duty.

Even so I think that it should be up to the school, & to the local reviewer as well. You mentioned are the parents informed. All parents are informed of the school work that is required of their children. Do all of them fully understand. Probably not.

WNT

WNT

I can't speak for other school systems. But at our school, we have a 24 hour hour law enforcement officer. So any calls into the police that are located at the school would go directly to him by the 911 dispatcher. He would know about the geocache & would handle things in the correct manner. Our local police department has also educated it's police officers on what geocacheing is. Their is a city ordinance that requires that all geocaches be labeled with on the outside as being a geocache. Not that all geocachers follow that city ordinance of course.

Our school, I am sure though is the exception to the rule. Most schools don't have a police officer on duty, most just have a "rent a cop" or security gaurd on duty.

Even so I think that it should be up to the school, & to the local reviewer as well. You mentioned are the parents informed. All parents are informed of the school work that is required of their children. Do all of them fully understand. Probably not.

WNT

I think that it is great that your city police, etc are informed. This becomes impossible with cities like mine. When you have 15 council people and 9000 cops to manage a city of 5 million, plus the largest school district in the nation, Geocaching pretty much falls off the list.

After our recent current events, hiding a PVC cache in front of a police station would be a better idea than hiding a clearly labeled cache on school grounds.

It's just a bad idea to put a cache near or on school grounds. I always put a NA when I find them. So many other places to put caches.

Agreed. Permission or not, it's just a bad idea.

I would only NA if there wasn't something in the description that indicated permission was granted by the school.

Just an FYI

WNT

WNT

That's great that the school is teaching the kids to use the GPS and teaching them about geocaching. I hope that the kids are being taught the guidelines as well. Also the aspects of leaving no trace when placing and looking for a cache.

Like someone else stated you can have some caches put on school grounds just for students and not publish them on the site.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

It's just a bad idea to put a cache near or on school grounds. I always put a NA when I find them. So many other places to put caches.

So when you do this, how many actully get archived as a result?

The 3 that I found were archived. I'll post in my log the guideline and tell them it would be a good idea to move it. If they don't then I'll post a NA. The hiders were Jr. High kids. One thought we were being mean but they understand now. :D

our schools caches are ammo boxes.

Reference: GC2N37R

My problem is two fold.

1) Most parents and probably most of the sheriffs/police are unaware of this cache.

2) Even if allowed, some terrorist could take your ammo box and substitute it with their bomb.

We've had problems in South Carolina with a hospital where permission was granted but security didn't know and it created quite a scene.

It's a bad idea & bad geocaching in my opinion.

2) Even if allowed, some terrorist could take your ammo box and substitute it with their bomb.

"Some terrorist" could take anything and substitute with their bomb. Amazingly, all day long, this doesn't really happen very often.

I really don't think that a geocache is on the short list of common household objects that come with the Acme "How to Overthrow the US Government Kit".

It sounds like the folks at the school where WildNTexas are very open to geocaching and are willing to allow the public on their grounds. With everyone on board (principal, LEO, teachers...), caching can probably work on school property. Still, as the 43 year old fat, bald guy w/goatee, I would stay away. I wouldn't mind if you placed it, I just wouldn't seek it. I just don't like to do caches close to schools or playgrounds.

How do you know this?

It sounds like the folks at the school where WildNTexas are very open to geocaching and are willing to allow the public on their grounds. With everyone on board (principal, LEO, teachers...), caching can probably work on school property. Still, as the 43 year old fat, bald guy w/goatee, I would stay away. I wouldn't mind if you placed it, I just wouldn't seek it. I just don't like to do caches close to schools or playgrounds.

That is a reasoned approach. Personally, I don't look for school or playground caches if there are children about. I do this not because I am scared of the police being called but because I don't want the kids to muggle the cache. I could care less if police are called, since I am not doing anything illegal.

Like I said before, if every single parent is not also notified of the cache, you risk one of them seeing the 43 year old fat, bald guy w/goatee sneaking around in the bushes. The chances of them pulling out the cell and punching in 911 is pretty high. I personally don't think that caches on school grounds should be listed. If a school wants to have a Geocaching program, keep it within the school.

Is there a no go on placeing a geocach on school grounds? In my home town school I saw a spot I like to place a geocach on school grounds. Its out in the field away from the school building and playground. Just looking for information if its a no go.

Check the guidelines. It clearly says not to place cache on school property. Commen sense is if your lurking around a school especially during schools hours you might end up talking to the police.

I searched for one cache on school grounds. It was placed by a teacher. Three gray-haired guys were looking for it on Saturday afternoon, with no students or personnel anywhere around. The cache site was about ten feet from the curb where there was public parking, but was right at the school entrance. I was not comfortable. The cache is no longer there, not because of the location but because it was poorly placed and did not survive.

I placed a cache that's less than 100' from the nearest border of school grounds. I supported my case with photos showing that the school is not visible from the cache site, that the entrances to the school are up the hill and around the corner, that even the play areas are mostly not visible, and that a road and a deep ditch separate the school from the cache. I think it's fine.

Edward

I'm glad to see that some people feel they need to be the cache police, and report complaints because they have a problem with a cache, regardless of if that cache is a problem or not - they see it as a problem, and complain.

I am a teacher. I understand the concept of safety. However, we need to stop running around scared of everything in life, and use a little common sense. Not the common sense that says "Someone might have a problem with this hide." - the common sense that says "A person is innocent until proven guilty."

I fit the description of the older male who may look suspicious hunting caches. I've learned to accept it. I have explained myself to law enforcement without any issues multiple times - they listen, and have been very courteous. Honesty is the best policy.

If everyone made their decisions in life based on what other people would think - if everyone chose not to do things because someone might have a problem with it - nothing in life would ever get done. Yes - I don't generally hunt caches that are in the middle of a playground when there are people with children there. However, I would check them out at a time when the area is deserted. Otherwise, I just don't look for it.

My philosophy - you don't like the cache, don't hunt it. Don't deny the people who would the opportunity to do so because you don't like it or wouldn't feel comfortable looking for it.

Everyone is just too paranoid these days. There isn't a rapist or terrorist hiding around every corner. If there was, we wouldn't still be here as a society.

Edited by FireRef

FireRef, you are absolutely right, IMO. There is too much hysteria out there.

However, we have to live in the world that is, not the world we wish it to be. Every so often a school neighbor sees a geocacher and calls the cops. The school gets locked down, the bomb squad called, and the newspapers ALWAYS print the story when a school gets locked down. I recall a couple of stories like that last year That is just really bad PR for the game.

There are other spots to place caches. The game will survive just fine with putting caches on school property.

I'm glad to see that some people feel they need to be the cache police,

People say this as if it's a bad thing.

We ARE the cache police. Geocaching is a self-policing activity. We are responsible, each and every one of us, for reporting problem caches when we find them. The sport is growing quickly and we can no longer rely on flying under the radar. If we, the participants, don't take care of any problems, eventually someone else will make rules for us that we may not like.

Is there a no go on placeing a geocach on school grounds? In my home town school I saw a spot I like to place a geocach on school grounds. Its out in the field away from the school building and playground. Just looking for information if its a no go.

Check the guidelines. It clearly says not to place cache on school property. Commen sense is if your lurking around a school especially during schools hours you might end up talking to the police.

Two points:

1 - Until the recent Guideline reorganization it did not clearly say not to place a cache on school property.

2 - Talking to the police in an of itself it not necessarily a bad thing.

We ARE the cache police. Geocaching is a self-policing activity. We are responsible, each and every one of us, for reporting problem caches when we find them. The sport is growing quickly and we can no longer rely on flying under the radar. If we, the participants, don't take care of any problems, eventually someone else will make rules for us that we may not like.

+1

It's not the most popular thing to write but GeoGeeBee is absolutely correct. The Area Reviewers are a good first filter, but it's up to cachers to report if there are any problems after a cache is published. That doesn't mean reporting every perceived slight, but if there is something that is of concern it should be noted in the logs.

Edited by Ecylram

Just another note, but google maps can tell you if land is of a school or park district. Parks are green, schools aren't marked at all. You can ask your reviewer or school who owns the land for a more accurate answer. If you can't tell where it is based on google maps, you can try e-mailing me. I live far enough away not to try an FTF. If it is approved, I would make it premium only. Remember, your reviewer wants to work with you to publish the cache. Feel free to clarify with him.

Google maps are fine if you are just looking at the aerial photos, but when they begin to interpret the data they often make some bizarre mistakes. I've specifically noticed many park boundaries that are either incorrectly entered or totally missing.

Many schools in this area have walking paths open to the public that wind around the adjoining athletic fields and are used on a regular basis while school is in session. Some have caches in areas away from the buildings and playgrounds.

Edited by edscott

FireRef, you are absolutely right, IMO. There is too much hysteria out there.

However, we have to live in the world that is, not the world we wish it to be. Every so often a school neighbor sees a geocacher and calls the cops. The school gets locked down, the bomb squad called, and the newspapers ALWAYS print the story when a school gets locked down. I recall a couple of stories like that last year That is just really bad PR for the game.

There are other spots to place caches. The game will survive just fine with putting caches on school property.

Then maybe we need to get rid of the hysteria instead of bowing to it - educate people. Don't accept it when people get scared over things like this - let them know the truth. Running away from this because it may scare some people means, again, we would never actually get anything accomplished in life. Yes, its only a game - but its a good place to start.

+1

It's not the most popular thing to write but GeoGeeBee is absolutely correct. The Area Reviewers are a good first filter, but it's up to cachers to report if there are any problems after a cache is published. That doesn't mean reporting every perceived slight, but if there is something that is of concern it should be noted in the logs.

The problem is, like in the example earlier in the thread - "I don't think caches should be placed near schools, because the guidelines say they shouldn't be - therefore, I will report every cache near a school as NA". In my opinion, that is silly. It should only be reported if there is a serious issue - a perceived guidelines violation doesn't seem serious enough to me. They are, after all, only guidelines - not rules, as people have stated many times.

Then maybe we need to get rid of the hysteria instead of bowing to it - educate people. Don't accept it when people get scared over things like this - let them know the truth. Running away from this because it may scare some people means, again, we would never actually get anything accomplished in life. Yes, its only a game - but its a good place to start.

But it does none of us any good if a town decides to ban geocaches because they are tired of handling bomb scares on school grounds.

We have kids and would not want strangers on their school grounds so whetehr it was allowed or not, wouldn't place a cache on school grounds (and it is very clearly not allowed). If the rules allowed it so long as the school administration approved it, that would be fine (not sure if GS allows that) but we still would not want to place one of our caches there.

We have even stopped hiding at playgrounds and most parks near playgrounds. In San Francisco it is actually against the law for adults to be in playgrounds unless they have a child with them. We think this is a great law and we apply it to our caches. We don't place in playgrounds anymore. Early on, we placed about 3 in playgrounds - we are considering removing them and archiving them now and probably will do so. They aren't in SF so not against the law, but just feel it may be best to be done with them (we hid them there thinking it would be great for families to bring their kids to cache and play....but now realize that this is outweighed by the sight of lone adults snooping around park benches).

We have about 10 or so caches that are in parks that also have playgrounds within their park boundaries. We have gone back and highly suggested in the cache description that they be considered "Family Only" caches and that lone adults not seek them. If they ever get muggled, we will archive them at that point rather than replacing them.

I'm a School Governor at my kids' school and I know for a fact that if the subject of whether a cache should be allowed in or near the school grounds, I would most adamantly say "No!". If a cache popped up near the school, I would instantly contact the owner and request that it be moved.

We all know that cachers look suspicious when we do what we do. The kids, parents and staff may get used to cachers coming around the school area and looking suspicious. The last thing we want is for strangers acting suspicious around the school to become the norm.

Even if it is a class project and even if parents, teachers and administrators know about it, I believe the project should require it being placed off school grounds. As one poster noted - the last thing we want this hobby to do is lead to the presence of strangers on school property being seen as nothing of concern.