Geocach On School Grounds

chamont

Are you sure it's school grounds? If it's a park, it's not school grounds, just grounds the school uses (at least where I live). If the school dosen't use it and it's not theres (and far enough away) it should be fine.

The closest i've seen to a school cache is one next to the area the school used. I have no idea if it's the same park or not. Either way, finders are 100% visable from the mile track the school uses for gym clases and track.

Edited by BlueNacho

hmm, I would suggest that cachers dont go after it during school hours. I know in the warmer days people go out and walk around, play football, baseball and what not. I probly shouldnt do it then if I have to think so much if its ok or not. I could let the school in on the cache and about Geocaching. That be one way to promote the fun.

Just another note, but google maps can tell you if land is of a school or park district. Parks are green, schools aren't marked at all. You can ask your reviewer or school who owns the land for a more accurate answer. If you can't tell where it is based on google maps, you can try e-mailing me. I live far enough away not to try an FTF. If it is approved, I would make it premium only. Remember, your reviewer wants to work with you to publish the cache. Feel free to clarify with him.

Edited by BlueNacho

hmm, I would suggest that cachers dont go after it during school hours. I know in the warmer days people go out and walk around, play football, baseball and what not. I probly shouldnt do it then if I have to think so much if its ok or not. I could let the school in on the cache and about Geocaching. That be one way to promote the fun.

You will almost certainly need explicit permission from the school administration and that still may not be enough. Check with your reviewer.

Suggesting doesn't often work.

You would be rather required to let the school "in on it" for it to be published.

Are you sure it's school grounds? If it's a park, it's not school grounds, just grounds the school uses (at least where I live). If the school dosen't use it and it's not theres (and far enough away) it should be fine. Keep in mind, locations are legal until the cops prove otherwise :angry: :angry:

The closest i've seen to a school cache is one next to the area the school used. I have no idea if it's the same park or not. Either way, finders are 100% visable from the mile track the school uses for gym clases and track.

Please ignore the bad advice (bolded, above) The guidelines expressly mention schools as off-limits:

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

I have seen caches near schools, placed with explicit permission, but they are still bad ideas. Most cachers even hate playground caches, much less caches on or near schoolgrounds. Also, as soon as the kids get wind of the cache, you will have constant muggle issues.

It is also irrelevant if the cache is actually hidden in a park, if that park is close enough to the school grounds to give the reviewer pause. I know because I had a cache like that denied once.

Bad advice removed. Didn't think it would be taken seriously. As a general rule, if the land is used by the school or within 100 feet of land used, I suggest not placing. Of course, also use common sense. I forgot about that guideline. Thanks knowschad,

Edited by BlueNacho

Locally it is becoming popular. Several of the local schools have Geocaching clubs. The club hides the cache, and with full permission from the principal. The cache page discourages searching during school hours. So unless you're a student or teacher I doubt you have much of a shot getting through all the red tape.

Bad advice removed. Didn't think it would be taken seriously. As a general rule, if the land is used by the school or within 100 feet of land used, I suggest not placing. Of course, also use common sense. I forgot about that guideline. Thanks chad,

If you change that "Chad" to "Knowschad", all will be well here. :lol: I'm not Chad... I only know him.

Locally it is becoming popular. Several of the local schools have Geocaching clubs. The club hides the cache, and with full permission from the principal. The cache page discourages searching during school hours. So unless you're a student or teacher I doubt you have much of a shot getting through all the red tape.

Yep, it can become rather popular with explicit permission, and teachers doing the hiding. There's a school disrict near me with 4 (I think) elementary schools. Three of these elementary schools have 8 caches between them, all hidden by teachers, all with explicit permission of the principal, and all saying "don't search during school hours" during the school year.

But the idea the OP had, which it looks like he's given up on by the time I'm posting, I don't think would have been published.

They're turning down caches even NEAR schools here. I think it's a good thing.

It really doesn't look good to have old guys snooping around schools day after day after day.

It's one thing to suggest people don't find it during school hours, it's another to make that happen.

People from out of the area often do a caching run through an area. THey'll try to hit all the caches they can while they are there. They may not be back for a long time if ever, so they'll grab the caches at whatever time of day they come though. If they're automatically uploading without reading the cache pages, they won't even know there's a suggested time limit.

There's good reasons why this is in the guidelines.

I myself, don't even like looking for them in playgrounds.

If the cache has permission from the officials at the school, go ahead and submit it. Also, include on the cache page that permission is granted.

Also include on the cache page, IN GIANT, BOLD LETTERS,to only seek the cache cache when school is not in session; that would be weeknights, weekends, holidays, summer vacation, etc.

Naturally, someone who has mush for brains will attempt to find it while school is in session. You have no control of this. In the same way, a CO has no control of a person who tries to cross a creek after a strong storm and the creek is raging, instead of waiting until it is at it's normal level.

If the cache has permission from the officials at the school, go ahead and submit it. Also, include on the cache page that permission is granted.

Also include on the cache page, IN GIANT, BOLD LETTERS,to only seek the cache cache when school is not in session; that would be weeknights, weekends, holidays, summer vacation, etc.

Naturally, someone who has mush for brains will attempt to find it while school is in session. You have no control of this. In the same way, a CO has no control of a person who tries to cross a creek after a strong storm and the creek is raging, instead of waiting until it is at it's normal level.

Bold letters aren't going to help people that don't read cache pages unless they can't find the cache.

Don't place caches at schools. It's in the guidelines for a reason.

Check your state and local laws. I'm pretty sure they will override any Geocaching guidelines and forum opinions.

Check with your reviewer, they will override any forum opinions.

Do the guidelines strictly prohibit caches in certain locations? No. Note the preceding text:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

This doesn't mean that every cache placed at every school and airport, etc. gets archived. Sometimes explicit permission will persuade a reviewer to allow a cache at a generally discouraged location.

However, this doesn't mean that a cache placed at a school with explicit permission won't result in a bomb-squad call. It's happened. For this reason your reviewer might not approve the cache even with permission.

Do I think it's a good location? Not really. Have I found caches on school grounds? Yep.

Edited by Castle Mischief

One of my favorite caches is a multi-cache that features murals painted by the students of the school. It was placed with explicit permission from the school administration, with a note that visitors are welcome at the school during off hours only.

The biggest problem wasn't geocachers acting suspiciously at the school. The biggest problem was with the kids finding and plundering/vandalizing the cache container. Eventually, the actual container was moved off campus, although all the Question to Answer stages are still on campus (since that is where the murals are).

I absolutely will not search at a school here in the urban area. However, in small towns I have seen a cache very close to the building which is a 'non-threatening' container and caches on grounds, but in locations where the container is not threatening. All were definitely described as OFF HOURS. It seems that any rule can in some way be violated or excepted. Being suspicious looking, I do not search alone for these.

IN ARIZONA, school grounds are just the same as a public park AFTER SCHOOL HOURS.

Interesting. In my area, LAUSD, all schools are fenced and the gates are locked when school is not in session. They are well posted. Entering after hours would be trespassing.

I work for a school district and I can tell you "DO NOT" place caches on school properties. If you're seen skulking around school properties someone WILL call the police.

When my kids were in school we would get notification when strangers were seen outside school properties for too long a period.

I work for a school district and I can tell you "DO NOT" place caches on school properties. If you're seen skulking around school properties someone WILL call the police.

When my kids were in school we would get notification when strangers were seen outside school properties for too long a period.

Exactly. Our school would probally go in "lock down" mode if a stranger was seen on school grounds during session and you would get to meet our resource officer. :ph34r:

To sum up some of the higher up posts, here are three possibilities for a school cache.

a) It's outside a house where someone is home schooled (unlikely)

b ) There is no permission; therefore, it's a bad idea.

c) There is permission, but it's still a bad idea. Police don't know about it, and if teachers change, the new teachers won't know about it, etc.

Just because you see a cache doesn't mean it's a good idea. As I mentioned above, one cache leaves a finder clearly visible from the running track used almost every day during running season. I would definitely not place it if I was the owner.

Keep in mind Knowschad is a charter member. This means he helped start geocaching more or less. It's not a bad idea to listen to his concepts.

Not all areas are the same. There really is no single blanket answer.

All areas are not the same, I would say most schools in rural areas don't have metal detectors at all doorways, but most have cameras. All persons on school grounds in our County have to report to the office for a visitors pass. Most teachers have no idea what geocaching is, and someone walking around school property would bee seen as a suspect. Recent bomb threats in the area and the killing of a armed person (a man in his late 40's) inside of a school by a school resource officer and local deputys have not helped matters any. I say avoid school grounds with geocaches, it is also in the guidelines.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

Keep in mind Knowschad is a charter member. This means he helped start geocaching more or less. It's not a bad idea to listen to his concepts.

I think I just pulled a muscle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Signature quote!

I really, really tried to change my signature quote but wasn't bright enough to do it.

Good thing I don't hunt caches on school grounds.

I think I just pulled a muscle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Signature quote!

I really, really tried to change my signature quote but wasn't bright enough to do it.

Good thing I don't hunt caches on school grounds.

After you change it in your profile, you have to log out and back on to the forums for it to take effect.

Wow! Cool!! Even I didn't know that. :lol:

Seriously... no. I'm just a Charter Nobody, and I began caching in 2005, a full five years after the first cache was placed. Still not a bad idea to listen to my concepts... or at least I'd like to think so. :D

Wow! Cool!! Even I didn't know that. :lol:

Seriously... no. I'm just a Charter Nobody, and I began caching in 2005, a full five years after the first cache was placed. Still not a bad idea to listen to my concepts... or at least I'd like to think so. :D

Did you all hear something? I swear, it almost sounded like Knowschad.

I would say most schools in rural areas don't have metal detectors at all doorways, but most have cameras.

Even non-rural schools have no metal detectors. I live in suburban chicago, and if we had metal detectors added at my school, we'd all be scared out of our minds.

95% of teachers support bad decisions if they make Knowschad happy in some way or another.

The high schools in the area, are worse then junior highs. There is an employee hired just to watch the front (only unlocked) door, and all people, young or old, must wear an ID at all times around their neck.

Interesting. In my area, LAUSD, all schools are fenced and the gates are locked when school is not in session. They are well posted. Entering after hours would be trespassing.

For non-californians, LA has barbed wire at the base of most highway signs to prevent vandalism. Not exactly the same crime rates as middle of nowhere Kansas.

Edited by BlueNacho

I do environmental due diligence. Part of my job is to take exterior pictures of the property and of adjoining properties. One property was next to a middle school. Before I took any pictures, I went to the school office and told them what I was doing and showed them my paperwork. That way, no problems with the school or the cops.

If you are middle aged, don't do anything near a school during the day without telling the office.

I do environmental due diligence. Part of my job is to take exterior pictures of the property and of adjoining properties. One property was next to a middle school. Before I took any pictures, I went to the school office and told them what I was doing and showed them my paperwork. That way, no problems with the school or the cops.

If you are middle aged, don't do anything near a school during the day without telling the office.

That is good advise.

I had family members at Blacksburg, Virginia when we had a National tragaity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre .

Just remember, we will never forget that day.

It really doesn't look good to have old guys snooping around schools day after day after day.

I'm not sure I'd single out guys, either.

Debralafave%5B1%5D.jpg

Her right eye is higher than her left eye.

It's a typical asymmetrical face, which could be a cause of her low self esteem.

Not all areas are the same. There really is no single blanket answer.

All areas are not the same, I would say most schools in rural areas don't have metal detectors at all doorways, but most have cameras. All persons on school grounds in our County have to report to the office for a visitors pass. Most teachers have no idea what geocaching is, and someone walking around school property would bee seen as a suspect. Recent bomb threats in the area and the killing of a armed person (a man in his late 40's) inside of a school by a school resource officer and local deputys have not helped matters any. I say avoid school grounds with geocaches, it is also in the guidelines.

They're called guidelines for a reason- because they are not hard and fast rules. It also says to something about airports, yet caches are placed there with explicit permission. There is some room for wiggle in the guidelines and it's really up to the reviewers, Groundspeak, and the particulars of the situation.

Myself, the one cache at a school that I hunted had contact information listing in the description. I hunted it on a Sunday. I still think they should be generally avoided but there are some situations were it can work.

Bold letters aren't going to help people that don't read cache pages unless they can't find the cache.

I guess folks don't read entire posts either.

Read everything that I wrote.

I'm not sure I'd single out guys, either.

Debralafave%5B1%5D.jpg

Her right eye is higher than her left eye.

It's a typical asymmetrical face, which could be a cause of her low self esteem.

Wonder if anyone else noted it is HER left eye/ear that is higher... that is the one on the RIGHT of the image.

And you are right... most symmetrical faces are hand made to order.

Going on topic... does anyone know if there are specific conditions for all the Geocaching programs used in schools as part of their programs / clubs etc. Do they have to go off property to create caches for others?

Doug 7rxc

Since school cache programs are not run by Groundspeak, it's up to the school what happens there. In one in my district, the caches were clear tupperware containers hidden around school. They didn't place a memorial cache, but maybe I should run over and place a memorial across the street.

We did one in our town that was placed on a secondary school property by a teacher and his class. All permissions in the cache page to hint the cache, even during school hours. We hunted it on a Saturday, and we STILL felt uncomfortable poking around in the cedar trees along side the track and football/soccer area. Some kids were playing soccer on the field.

Of course, we don't like urban caches in general. Maybe that contributed to to our uneasiness.

Still, in our opinion, caches should never be hidden on or near school property, or playgrounds. There are lots of other places!

BC

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I don't know why everyone gets worked up over this.

I am a school teacher for an elementary school.

6 of my students, have parents that have FELONY Convictions. Convicted Felons have children too. They still bring them to school, go to school events, and pick up the children as well.

The convictions that these parents have include, charges for Drugs, Murder, Burglary, Assualt, & even one for Kidnapping.

So if you worry that a geocache on or near school property will bring those undesireables near your children at school, you shouldn't worry so much about them...

WORRY MORE ABOUT THE OTHER PARENTS OF THE CHILDREN YOUR KIDS ARE WITH IN SCHOOL!

Just an FYI

WNT