Caches being marked as needing maintenance

jobrerry

Who can mark a cache as needing maintenance? In the last few days there has been a increase in caches needing maintenance in my local area. Some of these are caches I personally found 4 days ago in good condition. Is there a way someone could be marking his DNFs with the needing maintenance symbol?

Who can mark a cache as needing maintenance? In the last few days there has been a increase in caches needing maintenance in my local area. Some of these are caches I personally found 4 days ago in good condition. Is there a way someone could be marking his DNFs with the needing maintenance symbol?

Any cacher can mark a cache as needing maintenance, simply by adding that type of log to the cache page. And some newby cachers have been known to assume that, if they can't find a cache, it must be missing or otherwise in need of maintenance. In addition, there are cachers who will add a Needs Maintenance log if they find even minor problems, such as a nearly-full log sheet or what they consider insufficient swag.

In a case like this, a bit of newby-cacher education can go a long way.

--Larry

I checked out two of your recent finds that are showing a Needs Maintenance icon, and I cannot figure out WHY it's there, or HOW it got there. Very odd indeed.

The reason that they both show up as needing maintenance is because they were marked as such. One of them back in August of '08 and the other one in March '10. Both of the NM logs were for legitimate reasons. I'm guessing that the owner (or good samaritan) fixed it but the owner never posted the "Owner Performed Maintenance" log which is what would remove the "Needs Maintenance" attribute.

I did some checking, and here's what I found out:

Of the OP's last three hides that have a NM icon: they must have been there when you found the caches. However:

Pick got a NM log on 3/3/10, but it doesn't seem warranted. The online log said that the log sheet was full so they had to sign the back. Back of sheets are for signing!

Just off had a NM log listed in Aug. 2008, but it seems many cachers have logged an issue with the cache, mostly since the lid is cracked and the log is getting wet.

Easy cache: I cannot find the NM log anywhere, so MAYBE whoever posted it late deleted it. Unless I'm just missing it....

I'm wondering if the active cache owner just doesn't realize they can get rid of those NM icons with an owner maintenance log? Maybe a gentle, nice email asking them could be helpful.

But the Just cache is still having issues after the Aug. 2008 log, and that hasn't been taken care of!

The reason that they both show up as needing maintenance is because they were marked as such. One of them back in August of '08 and the other one in March '10. Both of the NM logs were for legitimate reasons. I'm guessing that the owner (or good samaritan) fixed it but the owner never posted the "Owner Performed Maintenance" log which is what would remove the "Needs Maintenance" attribute.

That makes good sense. If they didn't post that it was fixed or, as some cachers do, someone else fixed it you could run into this.

There are suddenly (in the last few weeks) a lot of caches, including some of my own, that have the "needs maintenance" attribute set that did not have it set before (when the cache is in perfectly good shape). I searched this forum to find out if anyone else had noticed this. i am wondering if perhaps a recent update made these attributes appear. Anyone else noticing this? -verano