Olympics 2012

Hi, is anyone planning anything around the olympics. What about security risk of hidden boxes and the terrorist threat?

Yes - there's an Olympic themed mega event next year "somewhere" not too far from London.....

More details on the UK forum here and on the GAGB forum here - but you'll have to search out more details and posts for yourself

Edited by keehotee

I suspect that the Olympics will involve the biggest security operation ever seen in the UK. Anything that looks remotely suspicious (whether that's activity by people or a strange box) will likely be targeted. I think that geocaching will have to take a break in the London area, from about six weeks before the start of the main Games and until after the Paralympics finishes.

Edited by sTeamTraen

Last year, during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic games, a number of caches that were close to venues were disabled for about a month and a half during the games.

I wanted to attempt to find some caches while we were in Vancouver enjoying festivities, but didn't have the time.

There was also an event hosted during the games, surprisingly not hosted by a local cacher, but instead one from hundreds of kilometers away.

Last year, during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic games, a number of caches that were close to venues were disabled for about a month and a half during the games.

And that was only the Winter Olympics. London is probably the most paranoid city in the world security-wise (even without the Olympics), so I'd give it a wide berth next year as far as caching is concerned. Even well away from the Olympic stadium you're likely to be in trouble if seen geocaching.

Incredible news! The only thing you need to plan is the training you'll do to make your country's Olympic Geocaching Team!

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2011/04/geocaching-declared-olympic-sport.html

(Anyone who includes the phrase "old news" in their reply owes me 500 internets)

(Anyone who points out "the obvious" in this story forefits all their princess points)

So how does this all work out, scheduling wise? What with the end of the world and all. I mean if the world is gonna end what is the point of having the Olympics anyways?

"YAY! I won the gold! Why is there an extra sun in the sky and why is it getting bigger?"

Some people just like to go out with a bang if you know what I mean! :blink: