Metal detector usage?

kipster11

I have a very inexpensive handheld metal detector that was designed for woodworkers to detect nails in lumber. It has an extremely short range and can be overly sensitive when there is a lot of moisture. But it has helped me find two or three caches. One was a bison tube nestled into the bark on an old willow tree. You could look right there and still not see it. One swipe over the area made my little detector scream, and the cache was found. But it is a very specialized tool, and also even a small lightweight one like that is not something I normally carry around with me.

I haven't tried it, but...

There's a "Metal Detector" app for some Android phones. If your phone has a magnetic compass, you might want to download the free app and try it out before you invest in a "real" metal detector. I wouldn't expect it to work very well, but as I said, I haven't tried it. It might work.

I haven't tried it, but...

There's a "Metal Detector" app for some Android phones. If your phone has a magnetic compass, you might want to download the free app and try it out before you invest in a "real" metal detector. I wouldn't expect it to work very well, but as I said, I haven't tried it. It might work.

First, it wouldn't work with Bison tubes, film cannisters (unless they had magnetic contents), etc. It could probably find an ammo can, but since you almost need to be touching the iron with your phone, tapping on it would probably work about as well.

I have the same metal detector knowschad has. I've used it to find :

1. Bison tubes in bushes

2. Nano cunningly hidden in a block of cement

3. Hanger in a palm

4. Bottle cap nano on bark

I don't see any issues with using them to make the find. It is just another tool, and it keeps it fun for me. I've even told the CO how I found it. The only reaction is amusement.

I have a 25 year old Whites Coinmaster MD that is not only very reliable, but is water proof and can usually pick up a wide area along the edges (not just under it). I only use it once in a while, but will pull it out in the winter if I know there will be serious snow to deal with. I found alot of other stuff besides caches while out caching. If there is anything with metal in it (pen, spool on the top of a note pad, cache itself, travel bug's) I can usually grab it. Best part is it only runs on 4 AA's and 1 9V. You can usually find a good used one at a local metal detector shop (check your local yellow pages), craig's list, or eBay for a pretty good price. Sometimes you can even score one at a yard sale when a community has their big neighborhood sales.

Odie