Garmin 62s or 62st?

Vibramhead

I already own the Garmin Topo US 2008 DVD, for my 60Cx, and I'm thinking of buying the Garmin 62s and loading topos onto it. Is there any reason to pay more and buy the 62st? Are the topos on the 62st any better than Topo US 2008? Thanks for any input.

I can't think of any reason to buy the ST under these circumstances. The S has worked fine for me with Topo 2008, particularly since I wanted to add street navigation and 24k maps to it in any event.

Edited by mulvaney

I already own the Garmin Topo US 2008 DVD, for my 60Cx, and I'm thinking of buying the Garmin 62s and loading topos onto it. Is there any reason to pay more and buy the 62st? Are the topos on the 62st any better than Topo US 2008? Thanks for any input.

If you like grey more than red, go for the ST.

If you want the whole TOPO US on the unit at once, get the ST. If you want the 4GB of internal memory rather than 2, go for the ST (although a 16GB MicroSD card solves that quickly) The DVD version of TOPO US 100K can't all be installed on the device at once.

TOPO US 100K DVD has 6000 map segments, the 62 can only load about 4000 map segmants, and the preloaded version if it's the same as the preloaded memory card, is about 450 map segments. Someone who has an ST should verify that though.

I bought the 62s and the Topo US 100K preloaded memory card, which in the end was about the same price as an ST, and I could have got 4GB of internal memory.

Really those are the only differences.

If you want the 4GB of internal memory rather than 2, go for the ST (although a 16GB MicroSD card solves that quickly) . . .

I bought the 62s and the Topo US 100K preloaded memory card, which in the end was about the same price as an ST, and I could have got 4GB of internal memory.

The Garmin specs for the ST gives it 500 mb of memory. But perhaps you could get more if you deleted the preloaded maps? In the end, as you say, the sd card quickly resolves any differences.

Edited by mulvaney