Best Geocaching App for Android?

redleg7

Hello,

I am looking for the best caching app for Android phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. I have looked into the official app from GC.com, but I have only seen negative reviews about it. Does anyone have an opinion on it, or any other apps? There are dozens of them in Android market, I just would like to know which ones are better before I spend money on one.

Thanks for any input.

IMO GeoHunter rules all other Android GeoCaching apps. It is based on the GeoBeagle code line with MANY improvements. I carry over 5000 caches on my phone and can scroll around the map to see them all. It has the best UI. One button switching between List, Map, Compass and detail. On-board filtering (found/not found, puzzle/Traditional/earth etc). Download GPX files and/or use bcaching for live updates away from the computer.

Plus It's FREE

i use the official app on a Droid X.. it's not perfect, but i'm happy with it..

i also have the unmentionalbe app.. it has some cool features as well, but i have yet to use it in the field. the main reason i think i'll like it is i can drive down the road and see near caches without loading a pocket query. when traveling, we dont' always know where we are going to go. besides, i can pan the map with my finger and browse to my hearts desire.. why can't i pan the map while driving? i'm must replacing my fingers input with the movement of my car.

i think Groundspeak will add it evendually.. they go to the trouble to have the websight and keeping up the database of caches, so i don't mind paying for the membership and the official app. they can't keep everyone happy.. but they do fine for me.

Edited by TXHooligans

I'd say the official Groundspeak app is worth the $9.99. Sure like said previously its not perfect and it takes some playing around to learn the features. I've been grabbing the updates as they come out and the app seem to get better and better. I have C:geo on my DX too but I always wind using the official app.

Just keep in mind that c:geo has been deemed in violation of the Geocaching.com TOU and deemed a no-no app. So far GC has taken no action to block it or the cachers using it, but they could.

If I ever decide to use my phone for caching (doubt it), I'll go with the GC app just because I try to live according to my agreements (often to my own detriment, but IMO a person is only as good as their word) and I don't mind helping support the site a little.

For your information my own CacheMaid app does not do any screen scraping at all so it won't violate any GC rules. It only imports gpx files from the file system or read mails directly from a mailbox, then unzip and import any attached gpx files. The app can also read notification mails so you will be notified when caches are published!

Just keep in mind that c:geo has been deemed in violation of the Geocaching.com TOU and deemed a no-no app. So far GC has taken no action to block it or the cachers using it, but they could.

If I ever decide to use my phone for caching (doubt it), I'll go with the GC app just because I try to live according to my agreements (often to my own detriment, but IMO a person is only as good as their word) and I don't mind helping support the site a little.

And I pay $30 a year just like many others. For as little mobile caching I do I didn't want to spend the $10 on an app. Heck the 60csx is usally in the vehicle anyway so I use the phone more as mobile internet than anything else. It's nice to have a completely paperless experience. The app just makes it easier.

And I pay $30 a year just like many others. For as little mobile caching I do I didn't want to spend the $10 on an app. Heck the 60csx is usally in the vehicle anyway so I use the phone more as mobile internet than anything else. It's nice to have a completely paperless experience. The app just makes it easier.

I understand what you're saying, but I personally choose to abide by the terms I agreed to in order to play in their sandbox. Do I think the app is overpriced in comparison to the competition? Sure. But regardless of my circumstances, it is still their sandbox and their rules, I agreed to 'em, and I'm not going to try to justify my way out of it. I gotta live with myself ands et an example for my kids. Sure, it's a little thing in the grand scheme, but the little things add up. So if I decide to start using my 'droid, it'll be their app or some other approved one. YMMV

I understand what you're saying, but I personally choose to abide by the terms I agreed to in order to play in their sandbox. Do I think the app is overpriced in comparison to the competition? Sure. But regardless of my circumstances, it is still their sandbox and their rules, I agreed to 'em, and I'm not going to try to justify my way out of it. I gotta live with myself and set an example for my kids. Sure, it's a little thing in the grand scheme, but the little things add up. So if I decide to start using my 'droid, it'll be their app or some other approved one. YMMV

Just as a heads up, the OFFICIAL Geocaching app works fine and you should not regret the purchase, it has almost become our main GPS (especially with the CO in for repair), however there does need to be some clarification here. GS position has been that the program in question violates the ToU, however those that work with the technology used behind these programs have pointed out that it, in fact, does not violate the ToU. There are at least two other applications in the Market that do the same thing and were not openly challenged. A quick search will bring up those discussions so it does not have to be rehashed here.

Having said that, GS has repeatedly indicated that they desire it not be discussed in their forums, which they do have the right and which should be respected. I wish they had not lifted the ban on the name.

To the OP: In the beginning, the official app went through some growing pains and, no doubt, still has some bugs to work out however the majority of the negative comments seem to drill down to people taking issue with the $10 and setting expectations on functionality on that rather than the program standing on it's own merits. It probably came to market too quickly due to the vocal demand however is now at the point it is a very viable option for caching. Like any other app in the Market, if you get it, try it right away. You have 24 hours to uninstall it and get your money back.

I don't know why c:geo is banned, since it is how I found this site! c:geo is so inaccurate for me, that I am looking for something better. Also I would need something free. I am disabled and on an extremely restricted budget. If the powers that be here at GC see fit, I could certainly use a complimentary copy... (hint, hint).

I deleted c:geo so as not to violate the site policy. I think it's restricted because it steals info from the site, or at least from what I have read. I downloaded and installed GeoBeagle and will try that one out.

I have recalibrated my compass several times. It is a pain to do because most times the calibration fails on my Droid X.

I deleted c:geo so as not to violate the site policy. I think it's restricted because it steals info from the site, or at least from what I have read. I downloaded and installed GeoBeagle and will try that one out.

I have recalibrated my compass several times. It is a pain to do because most times the calibration fails on my Droid X.

I think I get it now. It sometimes takes me a while....

c:geo accesses the site to get data on caches in a local area. All the other Apps use a PQ loaded directly, or access a previously run PQ.

I think I get it now. It sometimes takes me a while....

c:geo accesses the site to get data on caches in a local area. All the other Apps use a PQ loaded directly, or access a previously run PQ.

c:geo will also pull data from a PQ if you have one loaded - so does not necessarily have to scrape the site.

GeoBeagle also has the capability to go online for data as well as using a preloaded PQ.

But, FWIW, I use the official app on the rare occasions I don't have my Oregon with me....

Edited by keehotee

Hello! Maybe you could try my own program CacheMaid? I have released it a couple of days ago. It has offline maps, can import pocket queries and support paperless caching. It would be fun to get some feedback. You can read about the demo version here.

Downloaded this at the weekend for my android tablet, and seems to work quite well,

It takes a while to set up (the documentation could be improved with a start up guide) but once you are up and running everything seems to work well. I particulary like that everything is downloaded and this will be useful when the mobile range in non existant.

I plan to use the tablet for most of my geocaching and only switch to my android phone when I have to, cos the tablet battery lasts so much longer.

Time will tell which I will end up prefering.

Andrew