What do you like to see?

So I'm planning on hiding my first cache this coming spring. I got a good sized lock n lock and some camo tape. I've got all the basics but want to know what you all like to see in a cache. I don't want mine to be run of the mill, one of those ones that's just there for the extra smiley. It has a fantastic story that ties in with a travel bug of mine, Kimi the Travelling Butterfly (if you're wondering, the name of the cache is going to be 'The Good Witches' Humble Abode').

So what do you want to see when you go looking? What makes a cache good, if not great? I've been lurking around the forums for quite a while and have a bit of a feel for what everyone wants to see, but I want to give this chance for everyone to have their say. :D

Edited for Grammar correction :P

Edited by MoonCat & KDT

Haha to me that's all required, or at least should be considered as such. I'm talking more on the creative side.

Other than what every cache should have in the first place, what makes you go wow?

A creative and clever hiding spot, something more than leaves and pine needles kicked over it.

Good swag is nice, but I prefer a muggle free clever hiding place. That's my Wow factor! - A dry log is also a plus.

Besides a quality container, there are 3 other things that make a good cache to me. Location, location and location. Put a "creative" cache in a strip mall parking lot, its still a cache in a strip mall parking lot and has no appeal to me.

A good cache will bring me someplace that I would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there. A nice overlook, an historic site, an oddity or offbeat spot, a cool rock formation, a scenic location, a peaceful spot in the woods, or even just a pleasant walk are all things that would make for a good cache.

Besides a quality container, there are 3 other things that make a good cache to me. Location, location and location. Put a "creative" cache in a strip mall parking lot, its still a cache in a strip mall parking lot and has no appeal to me.

A good cache will bring me someplace that I would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there. A nice overlook, an historic site, an oddity or offbeat spot, a cool rock formation, a scenic location, a peaceful spot in the woods, or even just a pleasant walk are all things that would make for a good cache.

What he said.

I had a look at the Favorited caches in my area that I've found to see what made them good...

• art sculpture next to a river in a pleasant park
  • a very picturesque small mill behind trees, that you would probably drive past without noticing, if it weren't for the cache
  • a multi cache that takes you on a tour of an arts & craft town and ends at the bottom of a rocky gorge
  • an ammo can in a beautiful forest tract, hung up with a rope and pulley in an immense old hollow tree
  • a cache in a huge toy strapped to a tree in the middle of a forest and oddly enough I didn't see it until I was about 10 feet from it - maybe because I wasn't expecting something like that. Made me laugh out loud.
  • a log with a surprise that startles you when you lift the lid. The contents match the location. (Also saw something similar in a birdhouse, scared the heck out of my niece who went in for the retrieve - I laughed and laughed).
  • a hidden-in-plain-site altoids tin, made to look like a part of the old machinery display it was hidden in
  • a lock n lock at an old stone barn ruin along a trail that followed a lovely river
  • caches that are at a summit with a nice view
  • a clever puzzle with an airplane theme with a swag-size cache hidden where you can watch planes land.

Edited by Lone R

Location, location, location.

Take me somewhere [[cool, scenic, historic, special to you, little known, out of the way]] along with a [[pleasant walk, small hike, quiet area]] and then tell me why you would bring me there. Any cache I find becomes a bonus to the adventure. A dry logbook and cool swag in a weather resistant container is a better bonus.

Cool

What about the log book? Would you rather a notebook of some sort (spiral bound) or the templates that you can print off?

A real logbook aka a notebook of some sort. My pet peeve is opening up a regular size cache to find a logsheet. Ugh. I like notebooks where I'm free to embellish with my sig stamp or sticker and a note.

Cool

What about the log book? Would you rather a notebook of some sort (spiral bound) or the templates that you can print off?

I like to take time to enjoy a cache, meaning I like to scan other entries. Log books are neat because I read an entry made by someone who isn't even a geocacher. They were out lizard hunting and found the cache, checked it out, made an entry and put it back.

It's nice to have a little more room than just putting your date and username.

Whilst it may seem like a good idea to associate a travel bug with a cache, the cache needs to be findable without the TB. It doesn't matter what instructions you place on the website or attach to the TB itself, it will eventually get taken out of the area in which you need it to remain, or simply disappear altogether. Sad but true :-(

HI MoonCat & KD, as others have said - it's all about location! urban, rural, wilderness, someplace special, please.

I really like cache pages that are correct in spelling, punctuation and grammar.

For example, your in proposed cache title, I'm guessing that "witches" should probably be possessive; witch's, singular possessive, or witches', plural possessive.

Grammarian nitpicking is not often useful in forum threads, so I try to stay away from it (also, Prime made me promise :laughing: ). So I mention this only as you asked. Good luck!

Cool

Notebooks so people can write real paper logs if so inclined.

On a side note, use spiral wire bound. The glue bound books (usually black or red marbled design on cover) fall apart fairly quickly.

Whilst it may seem like a good idea to associate a travel bug with a cache, the cache needs to be findable without the TB. It doesn't matter what instructions you place on the website or attach to the TB itself, it will eventually get taken out of the area in which you need it to remain, or simply disappear altogether. Sad but true :-(

It's not 'attached' in some sort to the cache, it's the storyline. So, if you were to read the story of Kimi the Travelling Butterfly, I basically took a part of that out as an idea for the cache. Rather than a cache description that reads 'lock and lock hidden in the woods close to where I grew up' it's more like a fairytale about the place where Kimi started her journey. Kimi will start there and hopefully the FTF will take her and start her journey right away.

The cache will remain a traditional permanent, just marking the starting point of Kimi, and eventually another TB, Dea the Good Witch.

Edited by MoonCat & KDT

Having a TB themed to match it's launching cache is a fine idea. You could give the butterfly a mission which ends with it returning to it's home. Possibly the mission could involve visiting other story based caches.

I also like the idea of making a story out of the cache; This cache is one of my favourites which has done that. In this case it was an original story written to match the surroundings.