My streak is over.

GeoGeeBee

Longest streak with a find: 8 days. It ended when I came back home after a 2 week vacation.

Longest slump 60 days.

In order to maintain a streak like this there would have to be more new geocaches placed within a proximity that would be feasible to do on a daily basis. There was a period starting Sept. 2009 when there were *zero* new caches place within 20 miles from home for over a four month period.

Looks like it may be time for you to move, seems like you bring this same excuse up every time someone starts talking about caching streaks, How many FTFs do you have etc. getting to be just a tad on the old side as far as excuses go. I have a 2 step program for you Improvise and Overcome is what I say

Scubasonic

It's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact. Someone that lives in an area that has very few to zero new caches placed within a reasonable proximity is not going to have the same opportunity to acquire a lot of FTFs than someone that lives in an area where there are many new caches published every day. Period. If you find my posting of this basic premise tiresome (probably as old as see you pat yourself on the back with the number of FTFs you have everytime a thread comes up about being First To Find) I invite you to ignore any future posts I might make.

If I had ever expressed any sort of desire to increase the number of FTFs I have or maintain a long steak of at least one cache found a day, it could be considered a excuse, but I've never done that. Since I have no desire to increase the number of FTFs I have, suggesting that I move to accomplish that goal is ludicrous. I'm quite happy where I live, and the existing geocaching possibilities ranks really low on the list of criteria for choosing where I live.

Maybe I used the the wrong word "Excuse" a better word is "COMPLAIN" as I said in #44 Sounds like it may be time for you to move.

Scubasonic

Nope. Complain is no more appropriate than "Excuse". I'm not complaining about the infrequency of new caches in my area. It's just a statement of fact that when answer a question like "How many FTFs to you have?" or "How many days in a row have you found a cache?", the answer may be significantly impacted by the environment one lives in. That may have nothing than a desire to achieve either of those goals.

Someday I *may* decide to move, but the criteria upon which I choose a location is not going to include anything related to geocaching. I'm sure that there are lots of places in the world that have more active geocaching communities that I would have no desire whatsoever to live.

Forgot to mention my slump, can't seem to edit post from yesterday.

Most consecutive days without a find: 1364, from 06/23/2003 to 03/17/2007

I started caching, had fun, had a very tough one to find, then got into other things - there really were very few caches around and it was a pain to enter them into my old old GPSr. After crashing on my road bike and putting on about 50 pounds I decided I needed a motivator to get back out and in shape again. Looks like it's worked out pretty well - lost most of the weight and a bad day at work can be made up for with a little cache find somewhere during the day.

My streak has come to an end. The commute from Denver to Colorado Springs took 4 hours last night in the snow. Between that and the other things going on in my life I just couldn't force myself to drive a few more miles out of my way to find the nearest unfound cache.

My new longest streak is now 37 days, 10 days longer than my previous streak from 3 years ago. :)

I just looked up one of the ex-locals imSpider (I use local loosely) who I figured would have a long one..

1419 consecutive days with finds from 03/18/2007 to 02/03/2011

I don't streak but was talking to a friend who had one who said it stopped being fun and became a job.

Definitely much harder if you have a full time job.

Edited by hallycat

Streaking...

Maintaining a streak in my area is certainly much easier than it is for many of you. I live in a cache dense area where the weather is good MOST of the time. I totally understand when NYPaddleCacher commented on the dearth of caches in his immediate area and how it affects his caching.

I'm at 223 days and counting. Even living in a cache dense area, it's getting harder to keep the streak alive. I'm now having to drive farther and farther out of my way to pick up a cache each day. Shorter days, cold snaps, and snow cover add to the level of difficulty.

We'd like to hit a year and anything after that depends on when it no longer becomes fun. I'm truly impressed by anybody who has multi-year streaks going. That's some serious dedication.

Streaking...

Maintaining a streak in my area is certainly much easier than it is for many of you. I live in a cache dense area where the weather is good MOST of the time. I totally understand when NYPaddleCacher commented on the dearth of caches in his immediate area and how it affects his caching.

I'm at 223 days and counting. Even living in a cache dense area, it's getting harder to keep the streak alive. I'm now having to drive farther and farther out of my way to pick up a cache each day. Shorter days, cold snaps, and snow cover add to the level of difficulty.

We'd like to hit a year and anything after that depends on when it no longer becomes fun. I'm truly impressed by anybody who has multi-year streaks going. That's some serious dedication.

It's insanity. I'm quite positive. But then again, my analyst keeps trying to convince me that I'm not a vicious chicken from Bristol. So take that with a grain of salt.

I'd like to hit a year and anything after that depends on when it no longer becomes fun. I'm truly impressed by anybody who has multi-year streaks going. That's some serious dedication.

It's insanity. I'm quite positive. But then again, my analyst keeps trying to convince me that I'm not a vicious chicken from Bristol. So take that with a grain of salt.

Another post today that I'd 'favorite', if it was possible. smile.gif

Longest streak with a find: 8 days. It ended when I came back home after a 2 week vacation.

Longest slump 60 days.

In order to maintain a streak like this there would have to be more new geocaches placed within a proximity that would be feasible to do on a daily basis. There was a period starting Sept. 2009 when there were *zero* new caches place within 20 miles from home for over a four month period.

Looks like it may be time for you to move, seems like you bring this same excuse up every time someone starts talking about caching streaks, How many FTFs do you have etc. getting to be just a tad on the old side as far as excuses go. I have a 2 step program for you Improvise and Overcome is what I say

Scubasonic

It's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact. Someone that lives in an area that has very few to zero new caches placed within a reasonable proximity is not going to have the same opportunity to acquire a lot of FTFs than someone that lives in an area where there are many new caches published every day. Period. If you find my posting of this basic premise tiresome (probably as old as see you pat yourself on the back with the number of FTFs you have everytime a thread comes up about being First To Find) I invite you to ignore any future posts I might make.

If I had ever expressed any sort of desire to increase the number of FTFs I have or maintain a long steak of at least one cache found a day, it could be considered a excuse, but I've never done that. Since I have no desire to increase the number of FTFs I have, suggesting that I move to accomplish that goal is ludicrous. I'm quite happy where I live, and the existing geocaching possibilities ranks really low on the list of criteria for choosing where I live.

Maybe I used the the wrong word "Excuse" a better word is "COMPLAIN" as I said in #44 Sounds like it may be time for you to move.

Scubasonic

Nope. Complain is no more appropriate than "Excuse". I'm not complaining about the infrequency of new caches in my area. It's just a statement of fact that when answer a question like "How many FTFs to you have?" or "How many days in a row have you found a cache?", the answer may be significantly impacted by the environment one lives in. That may have nothing than a desire to achieve either of those goals.

Someday I *may* decide to move, but the criteria upon which I choose a location is not going to include anything related to geocaching. I'm sure that there are lots of places in the world that have more active geocaching communities that I would have no desire whatsoever to live.

COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN !!! maybe if you spent more time out caching then on the forum you'd feel better.....oh I forgot there aren't any caches where you live. <_<<_<<_<

Scubasonic

Last summer, my streak started by accident. I did some caching on both days of a weekend. Then on Monday, I happened to end up a fraction of a mile away from one which I had wanted to hit for a while, and grabbed it. Tuesday, something similar happened, and before I knew it, I had 4 consecutive days. Figured I'd keep it going, and soon noticed a nearby challenge cache for 100 day 'streakers'. Well, it was OK for a while, but it got to be more of a chore and less fun. Driving 20 miles to get an MKH in a guardrail was not what I really wanted out of caching, but I did it.

Then, on what would have been day 26, I spent a number of hours tring to find (or even approach) something like 5 different caches. It just wasn't to be. Some of them were on a trail, but in a residential area with no acceptable parking, so I didn't even try. Others sounded easy, but just weren't (who knows if they were even there any more). And then the thunderstorms rolled in...end of streak at 25 days. I still think it was something of an accomplishment.

If I had known that some locals had come up with a goal of placing at least 100 new caches within a few miles of home, I might have continued it. Instead, those caches have made for some fun cache runs with a few friends, so I can't complain.

I've said for a while that if I move to a new area with good cache density and good weather, I might try it again...

There's a pair of Streak Challenges locally. One requires a year, the other requires 65 days.

I've only managed 14 days, and that was because I set that as my goal. I'd never manage even the 65 day challenge.

I wonder where that number came from...seems like a slightly odd period of time. 30, 90, 100, 365...but 65?

My best streak was 28 days last summer. I was planning a 2-week road trip, so I started caching daily a week or so before the trip. Then, right before leaving home, my GPSr wasn't working properly. It would tell me where I was, but wouldn't display caches or even manually entered waypoints. Magellan sent me a new one, but it arrived the day AFTER I left on my trip. So, for the whole trip, I visited a coffee shop every second day so I could log into geocaching.com and write down the coordinates of caches I might want to look for. It's much more difficult to find GZ when the GPSr only tells you where you are and not where you're going. Eventually, I had a day where I just couldn't find anything, so I gave up.

I had a streak of 112 days and was broken by not finding one very late at night after a 12 hour day at work and another meeting in the evening, when i went back to the same one 3 days later and I found it in seconds, I was just too tired to see it. Glad I did it, Glad its over. BUT I decided to set up some streak caches as there were none in my part of the world, and so not to discriminate they range from 10 - 100 days, you can do them all or just do one, I don't care as long as you have done the required days.

From the logs I have had some who don't want to do streaks, but have done a small streak, some who struggle to make it, some who breeze it in, some with over 1000 days and some who had family commitments which caused them grief. 90% of those who have done 100 days have stopped just after, some continue and some were on the streak a long time before the challenge went out.

It is a relief when it ends, it does suck the enjoyment out of it but it is enjoyable at the same time, I covered about 10000 kms to do my 100 days, with flights all across the country (it is a big country) and it forced me outdoors to see new things.

I still streak, but I am not worried if it all ends, I usually only grab one or 2 a day anyway as a big day of 10 + gets to be a chore as well for me, unless they are nicely placed. I enjoy the game for the hunt and find, if you find yourself the hunted (or haunted) time to give it away.

An original goal of mine wasn't necessarily 1 find every day in a row, but I wanted to avg one cache per day. So Saturdays and Sundays usually meant 3-4 finds a day. After a while, my longest slump began. This wasa atime when I didn't have an internet connection, and such.

My stats go as follows:

Find Rate 0.1979 caches/day

108 consecutive days with finds from 03/25/2012 to 07/10/2012

232 consecutive days without a find from 08/28/2010 to 04/17/2011

2008 127 0.4472 caches/day

2009 33 0.0904 caches/day

2010 6 0.0164 caches/day

2011 2 0.0055 caches/day

2012 173 0.5029 caches/day

I guess I may have to do a power trail or two to bring that find rate number up closer to 1.0 caches/day.

Back around New Year's Eve I had a thought: wouldn't it be cool to find a cache every day in 2011? So I pulled a pocket query of the closest 1000 Traditionals with a difficulty rating of 2 or lower, and a terrain rating of two or lower.

I kept the streak going through all of January. On weekdays I would go out and grab a cache during my lunch hour, or find one after work. On weekends I would vary the routine by doing some higher terrain or higher difficulty caches. I even threw in a couple of urban multis just to mix things up.

Snow and ice didn't stop me. One Saturday found me knee deep in a freezing swamp. One weekday I was poking around a college campus that was shut down by the snow. I still have the bump on my hip from where I slipped on the ice that day, but it's slowly shrinking.

Overall, it's been a blast! I've seen lame hides and cool cache containers. I've seen stop signs and abandoned railroad bridges. I saw an ammo can hanging from a tree branch, clearly visible from 600 feet away, that it took an hour to get to.

But nothing lasts forever, and my streak has come to an end. What weather and family commitments couldn't do, an all-day business meeting did. Our annual departmental planning session was yesterday. I had to be there at 7:30 AM to make sure the AV equipment was set up properly, and the meeting went until 5:30 PM. Lunch was included, so there was no sneaking out for a quick cache. After work I still had to find time for my regular Tuesday workout, dinner, and homework (I'm taking college classes). Something had to give, and alas, it was geocaching that lost out.

So, my geocaching friends, I'd like to know: what's your longest streak of days caching, and what ended it?

Remind me to give you one of my spare flashlights next time I see you at an event, :laughing:

I've never started a serious streak as my work schedule is too erratic and demanding at times. Plus I have cached out an awful lot of the ones within 15 miles of home in the past 8+ years.

But last year I started focusing on completing challenge caches. I even signed the log and posted a note in the 100 days in a row streak challenge cache as I was with some other cachers who had completed a 100 day run on a day when we were logging several other challenge caches. So for the past few months I have been ignoring the closer to home caches and letting them stockpile a bit. I plan to make a run at the 100 days soon, even though I'm heading into the busy season at work. Because after the busy season comes the really oppressively hot summer. I think it would be easier to stop for a PnG on the way home at 11PM then to have to go find a cache on a 95+ degree/humidity day when I really don't want to go caching at all and just want to float in the pool with a margarita. :rolleyes:

PS editing to add that my longest 'streak' is only 10 days. My slump is about the same, although the stats tab showing 23 days from 1/9 until today as it seems I forgot to log the rest stop caches I nabbed on a trip to NJ to see family two weekends ago. :blink:

Since someone saw fit to bump this thread, I'll add another edit as my response has changed.

Last year I decided I really did want to do that 100 days in a row streak and add that challenge to my found column. But I also wanted day 100 to be significant even if some of the caches along the way wouldn't be. So I counted back from Geowoodstock 9 and started on that date. There were a few awkward dates during the 100 but I managed to get through it and stopped at 103 a day after getting back home from the event.

I think it was lack of interest, I've never felt like I wanted to cache EVERYDAY.

Possibly lack of self-control was also an issue, since I usually attempt to clean out an area when I'm there, thus not leaving something for tomorrow.

In Phoenix, someone just starting out could probably keep a streak going indefinitely... :unsure:

...and since posting that I have found my self-control and am finding only one cache a day, thus leaving plenty for tomorrow. B)

Today is Day 226, and we'll see if I feel like going past 366 days or not. :unsure:

I did a 100 day streak for a Challenge, and that was ENOUGH. I enjoyed the challenge of having to find one, but it became a little tedious. I always used to try and keep ten miles close to home clear, so that didn't help with the streak. I think I ended up driving "home from work" about 20 miles about my way at times heh

Streak is currently at 600 days. Original goal was 366 and I just kept going after that. I realize I am ground zero in room104 cacheageddeon area, and I still have MANY caches I have yet to grab. However my personal caching style and out right refusal to use a power trail as such, has kept enough variety to keep it from becoming work, though there have been many days of wondering what the carp I am doing here... This year looks like we may have a real South Dakota winter so I am anticipating a challenge on the goal towards 1000. It has kept my drive home from work from becoming routine, my days off with some sort of activity, and brought my photographer/artist wife out to normal places to look for subject matter. If the streak ends... so be it... I am only keeping track by accident now (like reading blogs like this one - coincidence that it is at a nice round number?) and can easily pick up where I left off without heartbreak, though I am a little unsure how I am going to inform room104 that he had won and broken me...

I kept the streak going through all of January.

Overall, it's been a blast!

But nothing lasts forever, and my streak has come to an end.

So, my geocaching friends, I'd like to know: what's your longest streak of days caching, and what ended it?

We did a streak of 182 days in 2010. We did well, only having a few nearly-midnight evenings (and one police encounter on a rainy night at midnight in an empty parking lot!). We were scheduled to chaperone our local high school marching band to the Rose Parade in Pasadena, but we thought we could still keep the streak going. We cached through a nasty snowstorm two days prior, and then... it happened.

Continental cancelled (two days after the snow ended and a day after all the airports restarted flights!) the two flights with 2/3 of the band. After a long 24 hours, 4 TV stations, many radio stations and the president of the Rose Parade contacting Continental on our band's behalf... they finally "found" a plane and sent the kids to Pasadena... with NO chaperones! The adults were left sitting in the band room as further efforts were made on our behalf. Eventually Continental turned the seats over to USAir, who found seats for all the adults within the first 3 days of the trip. We were lucky enough to be in the first group, but we still missed that long day in the band room and then the following day due to flights and exhaustion.

Oh, well, all good things come to an end. And the kids got to march in the Rose Parade, and enjoy the ... freezing cold weather in Pasadena! Seriously! Record cold, and since we'd shipped our luggage weeks earlier with the band instruments, we ended up buying a LOT of Disney, Universal and other outerwear to layer up and keep warm. Welcome to rainy, cold Southern California! We did manage to find a few caches there, outside Universal and Disney and our hotel, so at least we took advantage of being far from home.

Cache on!

Today is will be 353 for me. I started on 12/31/11, and intended on ending on 1/1/13, but have a caching buddy with 369, so I may pass him before I quit my streak. Some days are a challenge with family duties, or other things going on, but I've managed. Leave a lot of easy caches, or even caches you've "pre-found" without signing for the days without much time.

Honestly, I'm ready to be done, but am so close to the goal....... Like others have said, sometimes it feels like work, but most days, it's fun. Good to get out of the house, and do something!

I am currently at 434 days but I have decided to break my streak shortly after New Years. I am only continuing now so that if there is a challenge published that requires a calendar year I will qualify. Every day gets harder to grab that COTD because I am having to further and further from home to find potential caches.

It has been fun but the price of gas just to drive out to grab one cache is getting to be much.