My streak is over.

GeoGeeBee

Back around New Year's Eve I had a thought: wouldn't it be cool to find a cache every day in 2011? So I pulled a pocket query of the closest 1000 Traditionals with a difficulty rating of 2 or lower, and a terrain rating of two or lower.

I kept the streak going through all of January. On weekdays I would go out and grab a cache during my lunch hour, or find one after work. On weekends I would vary the routine by doing some higher terrain or higher difficulty caches. I even threw in a couple of urban multis just to mix things up.

Snow and ice didn't stop me. One Saturday found me knee deep in a freezing swamp. One weekday I was poking around a college campus that was shut down by the snow. I still have the bump on my hip from where I slipped on the ice that day, but it's slowly shrinking.

Overall, it's been a blast! I've seen lame hides and cool cache containers. I've seen stop signs and abandoned railroad bridges. I saw an ammo can hanging from a tree branch, clearly visible from 600 feet away, that it took an hour to get to.

But nothing lasts forever, and my streak has come to an end. What weather and family commitments couldn't do, an all-day business meeting did. Our annual departmental planning session was yesterday. I had to be there at 7:30 AM to make sure the AV equipment was set up properly, and the meeting went until 5:30 PM. Lunch was included, so there was no sneaking out for a quick cache. After work I still had to find time for my regular Tuesday workout, dinner, and homework (I'm taking college classes). Something had to give, and alas, it was geocaching that lost out.

So, my geocaching friends, I'd like to know: what's your longest streak of days caching, and what ended it?

I have done 100 days straight. Very difficult since I had already found at least 75 easy caches in the 5 miles around my house and I'm not in the most dense location. I almost gave up in the late twenties and early thirties, but made it through. I told everyone I cache with that the only way I would make it to 101 consecutive days is if someone published an ammo can on my front porch. That didn't happen so 100 was all I had. Maybe if I move somewhere else I can try another streak, but at of all the challenges I have tried 100 days straight was the hardest.

Not long after we started, I decided it would be a great idea to go for a 100-day streak. At the time, we lived in Wiesbaden, Germany, and I was commuting every morning to Darmstadt, so cache saturation was certainly not an issue. But after a while it started to be like work.

The low point was when, during a "date night" to Frankfurt, we came up empty on the caches we put in the GPSr and had to scramble to get the final of a multi before sun set. As the summer sun sets in Frankfurt pretty late, this did not make for a fun night with Mrs. hzoi, though she put up with it to humor me. I think that one was around the 88th day or so. We kept it going until day 102, then we quit.

My current streak began on December 28th and has already outlasted my previous streak (from long before the statistics tab was introduced). Mine almost came to an end yesterday as well. I've already found the easy caches by home and work. With the storm system that came through in the last few days bringing near-record low temps (and a high of only -2°F), it's too cold to be outside for more than about 10 minutes at a time. I DNFed two "should have been easy" caches last night before finding the third one I looked for. I'll have to browse the map today to find something to keep the streak alive. It should be warmer (around 4°F) so maybe that will help.

I know there are individuals with multi-year streaks so this isn't special but we're at 221 days and counting. The main goal is to get one year, but may continue past that. However, we hit a cold snap (for here) and yesterday went out caching when it was 5 below zero. This is my log entry:

We've been saving this cache for a cold, snowy day and this was the day. Gotta a love a nearby 1/1 cache when the temperature is 100 degrees below zero (give or take)!

Cache and log are in great shape despite dropping the container into the snow at least four times trying to return it to it's proper location. Fingers do not work well when it is 200 degrees below zero. The fingers don't want to open the baggie, they don't want to work the log out of the baggie, and they certainly do not want to place the container back so it doesn't fall. Fortunately, there were no muggles present to witness the frustration as they were all frozen in place hours hours ago. We now know where George Lucas got the idea to freeze Hans Solo in Carbonite.

Thanks for placing this cache. It's very presence may have saved us from losing our fingers to frostbite. Oh...you want to know why we were caching on a day when it is 300 degrees below zero? We're on a caching streak and the cache today gave 221 straight days with a find. Stupid streak.

Guess it's supposed to get to 12 degrees below zero tonight. Oh goodie. :-)

Edited by Ecylram

I know there are individuals with multi-year streaks so this isn't special but we're at 221 days and counting. The main goal is to get one year, but may continue past that. However, we hit a cold snap (for here) and yesterday went out caching when it was 5 below zero.

The Army won't let me get a year streak so multiple years would be out of the question.

Oh...you want to know why we were caching on a day when it is 300 degrees below zero?

I'm wondering how you managed to stay warm inside, let alone out looking for a cache. :blink:

DrJay posted on his facebook this last week he passed 4 years.. of course he is insane. I have seen him cache sick, tired, etc. He was up this morning at 5 am in 0 degree weather. He does plan ahead. many caches are purposely left for wintertime so he can find them with snow.

Edited by firennice

my streak is 365 days exactly right now. I will get a cache today, will be finding a challenge cache that requires 365 days, so thats a no-brainer for me. My streak will for sure reach 367, but after that, I honestly do not know. I am ready for it to be done. Got to be more of a chore for me lately.

I'm wondering how you managed to stay warm inside, let alone out looking for a cache. :blink:

You're only a few miles south of me, you're probably a bit chilly in the Springs as well. smile.gif

You must have missed seeing the bolded part about being "300 degrees below zero."

Edit: Oh, and we met at the event last weekend, so I know what your username means now. :)

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

My longest streak was 118 days last year. It ended when I went to Cancun for 5 days. I could have made 120, if I found one on the way to the airport at 5am and found one the first full day there, but since we were staying at an all-inclusive resort, going off the resort didn't make sense more than once, so I let my streak end. By then I felt it was more of a duty than fun, so I was ready to end it anyway.

My longest streak is 113 days. I was a newbie and having a blast geocaching every day. One day, I wondered how many days in a row I had found caches, checked my statistics, and realized it was 82. I decided it would be a fun challenge to try to reach 100. Somewhere around 95 days, I had to "force" myself to go find a cache, but getting to 100 wasn't that hard. The streak ended in early December when the holiday season rolled around and geocaching started to interfere with other obligations.

Now, I'm a bit intrigued with trying to black-out the 366-day calendar, with 46 empty boxes left to fill. This challenge is proving to be more difficult, since I have found most of the nearby caches and there aren't many new hides during the snowy season. I'm hoping to finish on Feb. 29, 2012, but I'm not going to obsess over it.

[You must have missed seeing the bolded part about being "300 degrees below zero."

Edit: Oh, and we met at the event last weekend, so I know what your username means now. :)

Yes, I missed the "300 degrees below zero" bold and I missed making the connection on your nametag last weekend. It's a wonder I find any caches at all! laugh.gif Well, you've met my better half. The only socially respectable element of Team Ecylram. smile.gif

Off Topic Warning...

It's my loss on missing the connection at the event, I've been meaning to ask you about caching in the Springs. A number of us are planning to make it down in a few weeks and could use some good recommendations on the more creative caches in the area. I'll hit you later regarding that.

BACK ON TOPIC...

Grabbed one over the lunch hour so have hit 222 days and no frostbite.

Edited by Ecylram

Congratulations to you and the captain. Although maintaining a streak along those lines might be difficult, depending on how it is defined. But to get back to the topic, I am amazed that kablooey has kept his caching streak going since July 15, 2003. At some point, I would get sick, not feel like going out caching, hit two or three dnfs and give up for the day, or something . . . for myself, having long ago exhausted caches near my home and work, a streak of any kind is not likely.

Edited by Keystone
Quoted content removed by moderator

I think I hit 24 days once, mainly aided by the fact we were on vacation for three weeks so it was easy to find caches to do, we had no work schedule to get in the way and the caches were taking us to new places. The streak ended the day we got home because I didn't feel like going anywhere and I have all caches within a 20km radius of home cleaned out.

Mine was 72 days. I actually started it on the way to the 2009 SHOT Show in Orlando (I am from Kern County, CA). No particular reason, I just figured why not. How did it end? I was actually driving a van full of color guard girls back to Taft on a Saturday night and just didn't feel like going after a cache. So I just let it die.

The key to starting a streak is definitely haveing the caches in your area. I used to work in Bakersfield and live in Taft which is a 33 mile one way commute. That made getting a cache a day pretty easy since Bakersfield and a 20 mile radius had plenty of caches. The challenge was Taft only has so many caches that aren't mine. So I would spend the weekends traveling about to get a cache.

That actually worked out great because I discovered the Carrizo Plain and now consider it a caching Mecca.

The other thing is you can't really get as into the FTF game in a streak. I had three new caches pop up in a day and I could have FTFed them all! Instead, I got one and drove right on past the rest. I had to save those for the next days.

Personally, I would recommend to anyone to try and start a cache streak. Geocaching is fun! Even if it is a light pole skirt or a bush cache. Setting a goal and taking the challenge to meet it is a worthy cause.

Now I am going to try and get a cache for every day of the year. The good news is my streak started in January and ended in March. So I can relax until March 21st and then I have to start paying attention to the days of the year I haven't found caches in.

Next is the goal of getting at least one cache in all of the difficulty and terrain combinations.

Get out and cache! You know you love it.

Edited by elrojo14

I know there are individuals with multi-year streaks so this isn't special but we're at 221 days and counting. The main goal is to get one year, but may continue past that. However, we hit a cold snap (for here) and yesterday went out caching when it was 5 below zero. This is my log entry:

We've been saving this cache for a cold, snowy day and this was the day. Gotta a love a nearby 1/1 cache when the temperature is 100 degrees below zero (give or take)!

Cache and log are in great shape despite dropping the container into the snow at least four times trying to return it to it's proper location. Fingers do not work well when it is 200 degrees below zero. The fingers don't want to open the baggie, they don't want to work the log out of the baggie, and they certainly do not want to place the container back so it doesn't fall. Fortunately, there were no muggles present to witness the frustration as they were all frozen in place hours hours ago. We now know where George Lucas got the idea to freeze Hans Solo in Carbonite.

Thanks for placing this cache. It's very presence may have saved us from losing our fingers to frostbite. Oh...you want to know why we were caching on a day when it is 300 degrees below zero? We're on a caching streak and the cache today gave 221 straight days with a find. Stupid streak.

Guess it's supposed to get to 12 degrees below zero tonight. Oh goodie. :-)

My favorite thing about this log is that it gets a hundred degrees colder every time you mention the temperature. :)

I've never really started any streak like this. I really can't do it until the year 2021, that's the year I retire from the Fire Service. I currently work 48 hours on and then 96 off. There are times I will work 72 hours straight and I just can't cache at work. So, for me to even think about any streak it will have to be when I retire.

I just checked my new Stats tab. I guess my best streak would be:

74 consecutive days without a find from 12/26/2005 to 03/10/2006

Not bad, eh?

That's it? Amateur!

192 consecutive days without a find from 04/30/2002 to 11/08/2002

From my stats:

Longest Streak

4 consecutive days with finds from 01/10/2008 to 01/13/2008

Longest Slump

130 consecutive days without a find from 09/24/2010 to 02/01/2011

I just checked my new Stats tab. I guess my best streak would be:

74 consecutive days without a find from 12/26/2005 to 03/10/2006

Not bad, eh?

That's it? Amateur!

192 consecutive days without a find from 04/30/2002 to 11/08/2002

You're calling knowschad an amateur? Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha...

1288 consecutive days without a find from 08/10/2003 to 02/18/2007

and currently on my longest find streak of 121 consecutive days from 10/05/2010 to 02/02/2011

Longest streak with a find: 8 days. It ended when I came back home after a 2 week vacation.

Longest slump 60 days.

In order to maintain a streak like this there would have to be more new geocaches placed within a proximity that would be feasible to do on a daily basis. There was a period starting Sept. 2009 when there were *zero* new caches place within 20 miles from home for over a four month period.

The best we can hope for (and I am) is 60 days in the summer hols. We do it as a family game and although our three boys often take turns in coming caching with me it would not be feasible to go after school as we've pretty much cleared a 60km radius here in rural France. In the holidays we'll do some camping trips and get caches further afield and hopefully go for the full 2 months. I drive the school bus so I'm off when they're off. :anitongue: Works for me.

Current: 13 days whoops 7 (13 is our daily count)

Edited by Geoscouts.eu

Longest streak with a find: 8 days. It ended when I came back home after a 2 week vacation.

Longest slump 60 days.

In order to maintain a streak like this there would have to be more new geocaches placed within a proximity that would be feasible to do on a daily basis. There was a period starting Sept. 2009 when there were *zero* new caches place within 20 miles from home for over a four month period.

Looks like it may be time for you to move, seems like you bring this same excuse up every time someone starts talking about caching streaks, How many FTFs do you have etc. getting to be just a tad on the old side as far as excuses go. I have a 2 step program for you Improvise and Overcome is what I say

Scubasonic

Interesting topic. I had never tried to create a streak on purpose. When we first started caching there weren't enough caches in our area for it to be viable, and by the time their were enough caches we had found most of them. So my longest streak was limited to caching vacations, 23 days was the longest, I think. Last year, I found myself in a position where I was able to cache everyday for about six weeks in an area where I had lots of caches to find, so I started making sure I found at least one a day and often many more. After returning home I decided to try to keep the strak alive for as long as practical and I was surprised at how tough it was. I found myself driving past caches so I could "save" them for a rainy day. I even found myself heading out in a snowstorm to hike into a park and find the one nearest home against my wife's wishes and best judgement, just to keep the streak alive. I agree with what many above have said, it was cool, but it really began to feel like a chore and I was happy when it was over.

I say I was happy, but I really mean ecstatic. As you can see my streak ended on 5/13/2010, when I found a cache with my wife about 11 PM as we were killing time in town trying to avoid going home, since we knew we were headed back to the hospital soon. At that point she had been in labor for a while, but her contractions were not close enough to go to the hospital yet, and yes caching was her idea. The next day our beautiful baby boy was born and we decided to take some time off from caching. We did not find our next cache until 5/16/2010 when we stopped on our way home from the hospital to introduce Liam to our hobby and he has been caching with us ever since.

Longest Streak

98 consecutive days with finds from 02/05/2010 to 05/13/2010

Longest Slump

18 consecutive days without a find from 09/08/2008 to 09/26/2008

Edited to add that Liam's current streak is 16 days on our trip to GeoWoodstock 8.

Edited by Monkeybrad

I was actually glad my streak came to an end and in some ways I was glad it ended the way it did.

After a period of time, caching for the streak became far more work than fun. I got to the point I felt I HAD to get a find at all costs. It had started out with just seeing how long it would last. I would find myself saying I wished the streak would end, but I kept finding an excuse for it to continue. I would not just stop.

Well, fate, God, karma, or whatever stepped in and said "enough". And the way it happened I had to stop cold turkey. For the first couple of months I didn't care if I ever got back to caching. Thought seriously of giving it up for good. Then I re-realized that caching was SUPPOSED to be fun, not work. Ever since then, I cache for fun and let the numbers and whatever else fall where they may.

Will I ever do a streak again? NO WAY! And I advise others to think long and hard before they start one and definitely don't if you have any kind or level of an addictive personality.

Just my 2/100 of $1.

Longest slump 60 days.

Looks like it may be time for you to move, seems like you bring this same excuse up every time someone starts talking about caching streaks, How many FTFs do you have etc. getting to be just a tad on the old side as far as excuses go. I have a 2 step program for you Improvise and Overcome is what I say

Scubasonic

It's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact. Someone that lives in an area that has very few to zero new caches placed within a reasonable proximity is not going to have the same opportunity to acquire a lot of FTFs than someone that lives in an area where there are many new caches published every day. Period. If you find my posting of this basic premise tiresome (probably as old as see you pat yourself on the back with the number of FTFs you have everytime a thread comes up about being First To Find) I invite you to ignore any future posts I might make.

If I had ever expressed any sort of desire to increase the number of FTFs I have or maintain a long steak of at least one cache found a day, it could be considered a excuse, but I've never done that. Since I have no desire to increase the number of FTFs I have, suggesting that I move to accomplish that goal is ludicrous. I'm quite happy where I live, and the existing geocaching possibilities ranks really low on the list of criteria for choosing where I live.

Longest Streak

177 consecutive days with finds from 08/10/2010 to 02/02/2011

Longest Slump

153 consecutive days without a find from 04/15/2007 to 09/15/2007

A small personal goal was make the streak longer than the slump, which is still from my noob days.

Back around New Year's Eve I had a thought: wouldn't it be cool to find a cache every day in 2011? So I pulled a pocket query of the closest 1000 Traditionals with a difficulty rating of 2 or lower, and a terrain rating of two or lower.

I kept the streak going through all of January. On weekdays I would go out and grab a cache during my lunch hour, or find one after work. On weekends I would vary the routine by doing some higher terrain or higher difficulty caches. I even threw in a couple of urban multis just to mix things up.

Snow and ice didn't stop me. One Saturday found me knee deep in a freezing swamp. One weekday I was poking around a college campus that was shut down by the snow. I still have the bump on my hip from where I slipped on the ice that day, but it's slowly shrinking.

Overall, it's been a blast! I've seen lame hides and cool cache containers. I've seen stop signs and abandoned railroad bridges. I saw an ammo can hanging from a tree branch, clearly visible from 600 feet away, that it took an hour to get to.

But nothing lasts forever, and my streak has come to an end. What weather and family commitments couldn't do, an all-day business meeting did. Our annual departmental planning session was yesterday. I had to be there at 7:30 AM to make sure the AV equipment was set up properly, and the meeting went until 5:30 PM. Lunch was included, so there was no sneaking out for a quick cache. After work I still had to find time for my regular Tuesday workout, dinner, and homework (I'm taking college classes). Something had to give, and alas, it was geocaching that lost out.

So, my geocaching friends, I'd like to know: what's your longest streak of days caching, and what ended it?

Remind me to give you one of my spare flashlights next time I see you at an event, :laughing:

I've never started a serious streak as my work schedule is too erratic and demanding at times. Plus I have cached out an awful lot of the ones within 15 miles of home in the past 8+ years.

But last year I started focusing on completing challenge caches. I even signed the log and posted a note in the 100 days in a row streak challenge cache as I was with some other cachers who had completed a 100 day run on a day when we were logging several other challenge caches. So for the past few months I have been ignoring the closer to home caches and letting them stockpile a bit. I plan to make a run at the 100 days soon, even though I'm heading into the busy season at work. Because after the busy season comes the really oppressively hot summer. I think it would be easier to stop for a PnG on the way home at 11PM then to have to go find a cache on a 95+ degree/humidity day when I really don't want to go caching at all and just want to float in the pool with a margarita. :rolleyes:

PS editing to add that my longest 'streak' is only 10 days. My slump is about the same, although the stats tab showing 23 days from 1/9 until today as it seems I forgot to log the rest stop caches I nabbed on a trip to NJ to see family two weekends ago. :blink:

Edited by wimseyguy

Longest slump 60 days.

Scubasonic

It's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact. Someone that lives in an area that has very few to zero new caches placed within a reasonable proximity is not going to have the same opportunity to acquire a lot of FTFs than someone that lives in an area where there are many new caches published every day. Period. If you find my posting of this basic premise tiresome (probably as old as see you pat yourself on the back with the number of FTFs you have everytime a thread comes up about being First To Find) I invite you to ignore any future posts I might make.

If I had ever expressed any sort of desire to increase the number of FTFs I have or maintain a long steak of at least one cache found a day, it could be considered a excuse, but I've never done that. Since I have no desire to increase the number of FTFs I have, suggesting that I move to accomplish that goal is ludicrous. I'm quite happy where I live, and the existing geocaching possibilities ranks really low on the list of criteria for choosing where I live.

Maybe I used the the wrong word "Excuse" a better word is "COMPLAIN" as I said in #44 Sounds like it may be time for you to move.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic