Mehndi Mandala Geocoin

CW88

I've been working on quite a few new coin designs recently and right now this one is the closest to being finished - but I'm not 100% sure if I like it the way it is or if I should change a few things.

I based it on Indian mandala and mehndi/henna designs (which is why I'm calling it the Mehndi Mandala Geocoin for now).

I'm planning on it being a shaped 2 inch coin but a bit undecided on the finish for it. My original thoughts were to have it flat on the back, and on the front have each section raise up a level - having about 5 levels in total, with one of those coloured gems in the center. But I also think it would work well just being 2D with hard enamel (which I prefer on coins), so not sure which way to go or what the difference in price would be.

Here is the design so far. It's not 100% perfect yet but wanted to get an idea of what people thought or if there are changes I could make?

Once I do get this coin going I'll probably have a cointest to pick the colours/finish for one version.

mehndimandalaRGB.jpg

Edited by Eartha

I've been working on quite a few new coin designs recently and right now this one is the closest to being finished - but I'm not 100% sure if I like it the way it is or if I should change a few things.

I based it on Indian mandala and mehndi/henna designs (which is why I'm calling it the Mehndi Mandala Geocoin for now).

I'm planning on it being a shaped 2 inch coin but a bit undecided on the finish for it. My original thoughts were to have it flat on the back, and on the front have each section raise up a level - having about 5 levels in total, with one of those coloured gems in the center. But I also think it would work well just being 2D with hard enamel (which I prefer on coins), so not sure which way to go or what the difference in price would be.

Here is the design so far. It's not 100% perfect yet but wanted to get an idea of what people thought or if there are changes I could make?

Once I do get this coin going I'll probably have a cointest to pick the colours/finish for one version.

mandalasmll.jpg

A very nice coin!

A was thinking about doing a mandala, but you beat me too it. Great minds think alike :)

I expect that this design will do well. Have you shown it to a mint yet? I ask because some of the areas look like they have too much detail. This jumps out at me because I am always pushing the boundaries and being told that something can't be done. You might need to modify it slightly, but in either case, it is a great design.

I think you will find the cointest you described to be a lot of fun. People will go in all sorts of great directions that you had not considered and their creativity will add to the project.

Thanks for the comments so far - I'm hoping to try and finish the design this week. I haven't shown it to a mint yet as I still need to make a few changes - and realised some parts may be a bit small so may try and change them a little, but hopefully most of the design should be ok.

The picture is loading fine for me but here it is again.

mehndimandalaRGB.jpg

Edited by CW88

Both images AND your avatar pic are unavailable on three different computers on two different networks. But I can see that others have no problems. Strange...

I can't see them on my work computer because our company blocks social networking and filesharing sites. The images are probably hosted on an image sharing site. I can see them fine when I'm outside the office firewall.

Make sure it's RGB and not CMYK. I had this problem earlier this week.

That might have been the problem - changed it to RGB and edited the posts with the images.

Hopefully they'll show now - and image should be a bit bigger too.

Edited by CW88

mehndimandalaRGB.jpg

It's cool is it clipart or did you make it from scratch?

It's cool is it clipart or did you make it from scratch?

Thanks. I did all of it myself apart from the outer spiral section on the front, and the floral pattern around the back.

For spiral section I used a stock image just to see how it would look, so will redo all that again myself so it's even all the way around.

And the floral design was from a photoshop brush pack that I changed to a vector in illustrator - but after printing it out actual size, the design is a bit too small so will redo it myself with a similar design.

Haven't had much time to work on it in the last few days, but maybe by the end of next week it'll be closer to being finished.

I've had the same problem with the pictures, but tonight I can see them. Looks really good! Will be neat to see all that detail on a little coin.

BTW What program do you use? I'm working on a coin design too and I'd love to be able to curve my text.

I use a mix of Illustrator and Photoshop (CS4), but the final design is done in Illustrator. The curved text is quite easy to do - just have to use the Ellipse Tool to make a circle, then use Type on a Path Tool.

The blueprint for the coin is almost finished, so think it's about time to start the cointest before I start getting samples.

First some details about the coin:

There will be 100 coins made – all trackable with their own icon.

The coin will be 2 inches in diameter and 10mm thick!

The front side will be 3D with 5 levels (each 2mm thick) and the back will be 2D.

levelssmll2.jpg

(different colours show the different levels)

Here are the details for the cointest:

- Cointest ends next Friday (26 Feb.)

- There will be 2 winners. Each winner will receive their version of the coin, and 20 coins will be made of each version.

- You will be picking the plating, enamel colour and gemstone colour.

- Black areas are exposed metal.

- All white areas of the design can be coloured - the only limit right now is no hard enamel on the front side.

- Please post all entries on this thread with a picture showing what the final design will look like, with plating and colours of enamel and gemstone.

- Entries are limited to one per day.

Might add some more details if I remember anything else. Look forward to seeing what people come up with.

Below is the template to use (hopefully you can see it - if not use the image in post #29 or #33 or I can try and upload it again)

mandala%20cointest%20template.JPG

Edited by CW88

Wow. This will challenge my photoshop skills.

Does the example in red/green/blue follow the rules? In some places the black is replaced and in others the white is replaced... I think? :blink: Should we take black to represent exposed metal?

Is there a provided set of colors/gems to work with?

Thanks for the cointest. I can't wait to see how this gets colored!

Wow. This will challenge my photoshop skills.

Does the example in red/green/blue follow the rules? In some places the black is replaced and in others the white is replaced... I think? :blink: Should we take black to represent exposed metal?

Is there a provided set of colors/gems to work with?

Thanks for the cointest. I can't wait to see how this gets colored!

You are correct - what is white on the full colour version, is not all white on the black and white version.

If I get a chance I will give this a go.

The red/green/blue version just shows the areas of the different levels - and yes the black areas are just exposed metal.

I was sent 2 charts but here is the better one for the crystals.

Swarovski%20Crystal%20Chart%281%29smll.jpg

And just to let people know in case there are duplicates, the current versions for this coin are a black nickel/white(glow), and antique copper.

Edited by CW88

Am I correct in understanding that the front can't be IHE because of the gem (it can't be polished down, and the gem can't be applied afterwards)? What about the back side?

Do you know if the mint is planning to use the soft enamel process? By this I mean this:

SOFT-ENAMEL:

1) stamp, trim, clean

2) Plate

3) Apply enamel

as opposed to:

HARD-ENAMEL:

1) stamp, trim, clean

2) Apply enamel and stone enamel flat

3) Plate

If it's possible to use IHE on the back, is the mint going to do the hard enamel process for the back prior to doing the front? (Or do they do some completely different set of steps because of the gem?)

I ask this because it would be a pretty critical thing for anyone wanting to use translucent enamels. Translucent enamels on top of black nickel is going to look muddy if the plating is applied before the enamel. If the enamel is applied before the plating, though, translucent colors will be nice and sharp.

And that brings me to the gem: what steps will the mint be following for applying the gem? If they're going to plate the coins first before applying the gem, then watch out for black nickel plating with a light-colored gem on top. It'll darken the gem considerably (for those gems that are pretty translucent. The opaque ones like opal would probably be fine, but that's a guess on my part).

If anyone has the ability to send me the black/white coin picture in ANY color other than black, it would be a great help. I can't figure out how to "replace color" for black so to get a different metal color, I'm stuck using "paint bucket". (I'm sure there's a way - I just can't figure it out!)

BTW, BuckeyeView, you did a great job. It's so fun to see different versions!

The front cant be IHE because there are 5 different levels - If you look at the first image in post #35, I have coloured each level a different colour, and each of those levels are 2mm thick (raising up a bit like a pyramid) so don't think it can be polished down.

I'm not exactly sure of the enamel/plating process but will try and find out.

I'll also upload a different coloured version of the template soon.