Does anyone know what a Boilerplate is from the DNR

kniezgoda

Many who post in these forums do not know what TFTC, TNLNSL, LPC and GSAK mean. Does that mean we shouldn't use these "words" as we go about our geocaching lives? When I encounter a word I am not familiar with I look it up if I need to. Happens pretty frequently. I simply do not understand why this has become an issue here.

Some posters here seem to think that if they personally don't know a word no one should ever use that word. And one of them never heard of the OK Corral, seems the word isn't so much the problem as the state of education these days.

That's not what anyone said, What I'm saying is you can't stand there and say a word is in common use to a whole bunch of people who have not heard it.

Well you can say it, but it's not gonna make it true.

I have no issue with the word being used. My issue is someone with sone authority who is supposed to convey information to an individual to assist them should use common language and should not be using slang. End of story. It's that simple.

I am much surprised by the number of folks who haven't heard the word boilerplate before. It honestly never would have occurred to me that someone would not know it. It is that simple. When someone says something I don't understand I have a very useful word that I use. "Huh?" :laughing:

Some posters here seem to think that if they personally don't know a word no one should ever use that word. And one of them never heard of the OK Corral, seems the word isn't so much the problem as the state of education these days.

That's not what anyone said, What I'm saying is you can't stand there and say a word is in common use to a whole bunch of people who have not heard it.

Well you can say it, but it's not gonna make it true.

Pick any word and you'll find people who have never heard it, that does not mean it isn't common nor does it make it slang. And yes many here are saying that, not straight out but inferred. Denying it's a common word doesn't make it uncommon, oh you can claim it but it isn't true.

I've got one word for this discussion: balderdash!

Explanation for those of you that have no clue whence this word "balderdash" came from.

Someone who is balder than someone else, ran a dash and won!

(Sorry for the fiddle-faddle fun. Couldn't help myself...)

Shirley~

That explanation of balderdash ought to help those more persnickety folks among us. Much obliged.

Explanation for those of you that have no clue whence this word "balderdash" came from.

Shirley~

That explanation of balderdash ought to help those more persnickety folks among us. Much obliged.

Oh, no,,,,, JC_ThankYou.gif

Shirley~

Oh, no,,,,, JC_ThankYou.gif

You didn't just draw up that "Thank You" smiley right now, did you? I suspect it is just a boilerplate image.

I'm a Canadian. I had no idea what "DNR" meant in the context of geocaching.

I wasn't familiar with the term "boilerplate" until I read this thread.

I had no idea what was being asked of the OP until post #37. Once I read that post, and read the example cache page, all was clear.

Baldersash!

I had no idea what was being asked of the OP until post #37. Once I read that post, and read the example cache page, all was clear.

Baldersash!

Yeah, yeah, let's not get all persnickety and have a conniption fit. :P

toque, 2-4, pogey, double-double, fuddle duddle, eh? :D

Edited by Pup Patrol

Just because cachers should eschew placing caches without permission, doesn't mean the word "eschew" should be used in official communications to cachers.

Just like the word "boilerplate". I don't have a limited vocabulary, but I don't recall ever hearing that word before, and I certainly didn't know what it meant before this thread.

Just because cachers should eschew placing caches without permission, doesn't mean the word "eschew" should be used in official communications to cachers.

Just like the word "boilerplate". I don't have a limited vocabulary, but I don't recall ever hearing that word before, and I certainly didn't know what it meant before this thread.

I find it virtually acataleptic that such a word would be considered commonplace in the 21st century. But then, I am known to be a bit of a dasypygal sort of dog.

you shcould feel free to ask here without two pages of dbate about weather or not a word should be used. is it that hard too just asnwer the questoin?

Evidently not, since it was answered in post #3.

Or is this another rhetorical question?

Actually, you pointed out the problem exactly here. #3 would not have answered the OP's question. You need to look at the example Starbrand provided in #37.

Essentially, what is required is:

1. Download, print out, fill in and submit the form

2. Add the boilerplate text to the cache description

3. Inform the reviewer that all that is done (and presumably DNR did not reject the cache placement).

Step 2 was not clear. In fact, it was downright misleading in the reviewer note that Keystone copy and pasted into his post.

To me this seems to me the more important issue, compared to the popularity of the word "boilerplate" and whether it is mainstream or slang.

you shcould feel free to ask here without two pages of dbate about weather or not a word should be used. is it that hard too just asnwer the questoin?

Evidently not, since it was answered in post #3.

Or is this another rhetorical question?

Actually, you pointed out the problem exactly here. #3 would not have answered the OP's question. You need to look at the example Starbrand provided in #37.

Essentially, what is required is:

1. Download, print out, fill in and submit the form

2. Add the boilerplate text to the cache description

3. Inform the reviewer that all that is done (and presumably DNR did not reject the cache placement).

Step 2 was not clear. In fact, it was downright misleading in the reviewer note that Keystone copy and pasted into his post.

To me this seems to me the more important issue, compared to the popularity of the word "boilerplate" and whether it is mainstream or slang.

Actually - it seemed very clear to me after reading Keystone's post. :unsure:

Actually - it seemed very clear to me after reading Keystone's post. :unsure:

I don't get how "In order to have a cache in this location you must submit a notification form to the proper DNR office and add the required boilerplate." means I need to paste the boilerplate into the cache page. Reading that line it sounds like the boilerplate text belongs in the form.

I did notice that post #7 gave the complete answer though. I did not notice that earlier.

Edited by Chrysalides

It didn't seem like the OP was upset about the term. Also, I really don't see a problem with asking a question like that in a geocaching forum. Could she have looked it up in google - sure. Perhaps he/she just figured it would be helpful to ask in a geocaching forum since it was used in reference to placing a geocache. These forums are really rough on people with innocuous questions!

Baldersash!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Baldersash!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inconceivable!