Visiting NZ - Geocache & Scenic suggestions

KrazyKanuckKM

Hi everyone, My wife and I will be in the Auckland area at the end of Feb for a family wedding. We'll be staying in NZ for 3 weeks and I will be bringing with me some trackables from Montreal and area. I'm wondering if people can suggest to me some nice places where we can combine geocaching and site-seeing for a young couple in their early 30's.

We'll be 1 week in Auckland & Waiuku (Karioitahi Beach) for a wedding, and then open to visiting the rest of the country for the next two weeks. Try and get a chance to see south island as well.

Kevin

Edited by KrazyKanuckKM

Are you driving (remember left side of road) or on tour with others?

Places to visit - Auckland has lots of good caches, Rotorua, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin are the main centres. Look for where you are staying, and if any are easily accessible.

Terrain rating is a good guide for easy access usually.

If driving, then the smaller centres also have cache spread.

We also have lots of micros now, as new caches get into the hobby.

90% of caches are good placements, scenic, historic, or of general interest - watch out though, in some places there are small challenges between some to place hard puzzles. Stick with traditional caches, and you should have fun!

we certainly do.... a little route pre-planning goes a long way to making it a smooth day too.

Enjoy our country!

Hi Kevin

Just a couple of suggetions for the Auckland area. One Tree Hill has a number of caches and lots of tourists visit it. Also you could take the ferry across to Rangitoto or Waiheke Islands, also North Shore area. I like searching for earthcaches and going from there. Many of them in Auckland also have a traditional near by.

New Zealand has a fairly good coverage of caches so for places outside of Auckland to visit I would decide what noncaching activities you would like to visit and you will probably find a cache near by. Rotorua (first cache in NZ was placed here), Coromandle (beaches and bush), Northland (beautiful weather), Lake Taupo (largest lake in the country), Wellington (Te Papa national museum), Napier (great Art Deco buildings) and that is only a few suggestions for the North Island. One could go on about the South Island but it would depend on how much travel you want to do once your here. If you can get to the South Island many visitors recommend spending more time there than in the North Island.

Hope you enjoy your trip down under.

Catherine

Hi everyone, My wife and I will be in the Auckland area at the end of Feb for a family wedding. We'll be staying in NZ for 3 weeks and I will be bringing with me some trackables from Montreal and area. I'm wondering if people can suggest to me some nice places where we can combine geocaching and site-seeing for a young couple in their early 30's.

We'll be 1 week in Auckland & Waiuku (Karioitahi Beach) for a wedding, and then open to visiting the rest of the country for the next two weeks. Try and get a chance to see south island as well.

Kevin

Kevin

I can't offer much advice on Auckland but my take on this is that a magnetic micro on a park bench is pretty much the same in any town. If you're traveling independently by road I'd build some pocket queries along your route and browse them. Earthcaches are always a good bet to my mind as there has to be something in the cache location to warrant the cache. Stick to Traditionals rather than Multis or Puzzles if your time is limited.

We also now have favourites. Build your query and then click on the favourites column icon and the list will be sorted on cachers favourites votes.

Thanks everyone. We'll be staying on the North Shore of Auckland for our first week. I've already seen that there are a fair amount of caches in that area. I'm in the process of building up some pocket queries with traditional caches for the major cities that we'll visit. Along with the

Thanks for the tip on One Tree Hill, and I agree that a magnetic micro in any city is pretty much the same.

If you take the Ferry from Wellington into Picton, then you have to good options. First is the scenic route Queen Charlotte drive towards Nelson. Second is Port underwood drive towards Blenheim. Part of Port underwood is a dirt road. So if your renting a car you may not be allowed to drive such roads, though i highly recommend port Underwood drive. And if your staying in Picton for the night, try my Multi 'spirit wind' GC2K41H.